Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377716 times)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3930 on: September 09, 2012, 04:30:48 pm »

Here is a little WIP. I've been very inactive and lazy lately, so I just had to paint something. Jopax's works and TheFool's advices gave me the courage to experiment a little. I tried this with a much higher brush opacity, and it's much faster (no surprise there, of course it'll go slow when I work with 10% opacity :P)

I just wanted to ask is everything alright with the facial structure? The eye seems somewhat off, but at the same time somehow alright... I try to work without a reference, so I'm a bit lost.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: September 09, 2012, 07:55:24 pm »

Try moving the dip under the eye a little more inward. I think that's the issue with the eye.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3932 on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:20 am »

After slightly altering the other half of the face and adding hair the eye kinda seems to fit where it was. It's not bothering me anymore, but I'm still thinking about moving it.
Still need to work on the knees, chest, add more detail to the hair and finish the hand and the other leg.

Also, I hate feet now. Damn you, evolution!

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: September 10, 2012, 07:38:08 pm »

Hands are worse imo, so it's good we are no longer monkeys...

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3934 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »

I'd still prefer having four hands more than four feet :P But yeah, yay for not being monkeys!

Also, I finished the pic. Messed a bit with the eye, hopefully it looks better now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: September 10, 2012, 09:00:03 pm »

Left side of the torso is off. At that angle it shouldn't be going all the way around the right (your left) breast, I think.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: September 11, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »

I took the liberty of drawing rude notes all over your art.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: September 11, 2012, 01:47:29 pm »

The thing you can't explain is a missing ankle bone. It's pretty good considering it's done from memory.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3938 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:08 pm »

Rude notes are most appreciated. But what do you mean by "fin?" That the torso is too large? The foot did look weird when I did it, but I couldn't figure out what it was either. But man, that knee gap is OFF! I can't believe I didn't notice that. Gotta fix that.

Also, a friend advised me to simply flip a picture horizontally when checking for mistakes. That way it's supposedly easier to spot them. Do you guys use that trick and does it work for you?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: September 11, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »

By "fin" I mean that the area highlighted should not exist, and seems to stick out from that poor girl's side, like a fin. :P I guess the ribcage could plausibly follow a contour like that, if the shoulders were different. It looks decent if I cover everything either up or down from the "fin" arrow, but the way it joins is *way* off.

And horizontal flipping really does help. Probably something to do with how the brain does error correction for things you see. It's super easy to become blind to all the subtle (and overt) mistakes you make, and flipping the image lets you see it as a "new" image, helps you abandon all those mental models of how it should look that stop you from seeing how it actually looks.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3940 on: September 11, 2012, 04:29:34 pm »

I guessed it meant that it's way too much, but watching cartoons as a kid made me think of "end" every time I see "fin", so I got a bit confused. Just my engrish kicking in...

Hmm, that makes sense. Our eyes and brain probably get used to the subtle mistakes and recognize them only when the picture gets drastically changed, like when one mirrors it completely.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: September 12, 2012, 09:28:36 pm »

PTW this and hopefully get some inspiration.  I may or may not upload some stuff of my own.

I'm usually horribly critical of my work, and I'd consider my self average at best, but the critique from other artists would be very helpful.  So, yeah. Posting to watch, don't mind me over here in the corner!

Oh, and Jopax, your stuff is awesome.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: September 13, 2012, 05:23:28 am »

Thank you :D

And feel free to post anything that you engraved, we might be able to dispel some of that self-doubt that makes you so critical of your own creations (it's good to do that, but be moderate, otherwise you might be too discouraged to make anything eventually).

Anyways, another piece, starting to mess with colors more and more :3

Tho I'm not so sure about the yellow stuff anymore, seemed like a good idea at first but some sleep made it look awkward X)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: September 13, 2012, 10:56:35 am »

The arm on the left looks a bit odd, almost as if the shoulder has been disconnected and moved outwards. The hands also strike me as a bit small.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: September 13, 2012, 12:53:13 pm »

The shoulder bit was intended, but somewhat poorly executed, it was supposed to look like the plant thingy is tearing him up from the inside. The hands do seem small, especially in comprasion to his torso :c
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 296