Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377781 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3885 on: August 03, 2012, 03:07:25 am »

For early stuff like that I've found it best to actually draw in layers, start of with a rough skeleton, then study which muscle goes where and does what (not every, but the main ones used for walking, shaking hands and stuff are most important), then you put muscles in their proper places and drape some nice looking skin over that.

Also posing is very important, because you can't get the anatomy right if the subject is doing something it can't (like kissing his own ass or something) so practice with mannequins is important too, sketching rough limbs and a torso in different poses is great for that, especially if you do it from life.

Anyways, got drunk, had a nasty hangover which woke me up at around 6 AM, didn't know what to do, so I painted:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any thoughts?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #3886 on: August 03, 2012, 04:29:03 am »

Did this in ms paint a while ago.
Btw, I'm certainly not an experienced "artist" (drawer sounds kinda retarded), had never drawn anything until half a year ago or so. I was kinda forced to learn how to do it so that I could get the Forgotten beast art thread going.

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #3887 on: August 03, 2012, 04:42:39 am »

Any thoughts?

Awesome!
Are they chilling on a junk yard? Really like the atmosphere and composition.
Somehow the robot arm reminds me of the grappler ships from Outlaw Star

Did this in ms paint a while ago.
Btw, I'm certainly not an experienced "artist" (drawer sounds kinda retarded), had never drawn anything until half a year ago or so. I was kinda forced to learn how to do it so that I could get the Forgotten beast art thread going.

You were doing them all in ms paint? I'm speechless, seriously.
Considering you're not an experienced artist.
But I wouldn't even be able to do this with the programs I'm using  :D

The only thing I'd have to complain about is the lack of slowpokez.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: August 03, 2012, 06:46:42 am »

it reminds of chromehounds and I loved that game to death so I think it's pretty awesome jopax

EDIT: Slowpokez thats pretty awesome for paint
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:56:45 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #3889 on: August 03, 2012, 08:06:33 am »

You were doing them all in ms paint? I'm speechless, seriously.
Considering you're not an experienced artist.
But I wouldn't even be able to do this with the programs I'm using  :D

The only thing I'd have to complain about is the lack of slowpokez.
Thx :D
That one was all paint but now I've started mixing in some gimp too. (I've got a problem with gimp tough, if I make a picture larger then 5120x3200 it freezes after 10min :-\ )
As for slowpokes, I only put them in some of the time to add a feeling of uncertainty to the people looking for them :P

-I Just bit a hippo in the mouth, and ripped all of it's teeth out at once O-o. This is so weird, it needs to be drawn. /Wrex

Adventurer and Hippo.

Got any tips for drawing an object moving fast? (this is what I attemted to do in nr.5, didn't work.  :-\)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: August 03, 2012, 01:09:58 pm »

THAT POOR HIPPO, OH HOW COULD YOU!
If that were my old modded hippos you'd be doomed.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: August 03, 2012, 01:41:29 pm »

Any thoughts?

You need to get drunk more often.  :P

Joking aside, I really like this one. Not only because of my sci-fi fetish, but it seems to have more detail and less fuzziness that some of your earlier stuff has.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: August 03, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »

A pencil sketch (or something like that) dating to early July, when I traveling around the countryside with my parents.

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: August 03, 2012, 05:52:13 pm »

its great, but is that a door or a window on the left of the picture? behind the chair.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

its great, but is that a door or a window on the left of the picture? behind the chair.
It's a locked door to the verandah.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:31:37 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: August 04, 2012, 09:27:17 am »

@Urist McScoopbeard:
you're too concerned with the musculature and anatomical details, i'd say ditch that for now and try to focus on the basic geometry of the body: basic proportion and the spatial relationship between the different body parts should come before anatomical details. focus less on the human body and more on drawing in general. even if you're drawing a human body it's more important to think about drawing the basic shape than to know the name of the muscles and where they should be

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 04, 2012, 11:44:36 pm »

So I have been working on a new drawing for some time, but I am having a few problems and somebody mentioned this thread was a great place to ask for advice.

Spoiler: The image (click to show/hide)
The main problems I am having are with the hind leg and the tail, but the whole thing is just a bit... odd, at the moment.

With the hind leg, most attempts at drawing it have resulted in it looking too human, or too large, or too small, or like a rabbits, I can't seem to get it to look... reptilian? which is kind of important for drawing dragons and all.

With the tail, it always ends up looking sort of tacked on, not like a smooth extension of the body a la reptile tails.

fixing mistakes is trivial with the methods I use for drawing stuff (basically redrawing the entire thing using the current as a reference image, and making tweaks), so lay on any suggestions you can think of.

P.S. in case anyone here is of the odd mentality "Don't sign your work until you're truly done", I do that for internet uploading purposes ever since some idiot was stealing everything I posted on a different forum and uploading it to his art blog as his own 2 years ago. (they were all crap anyways, but it still bugged me)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: August 05, 2012, 12:25:30 am »

god knows sir, that I am not the best of artists but I will try to give some helpful suggestions and critique to this image!

I would say that the hind leg does not look too shabby, not too shabby at all. However I will surmise that you are talking mostly about the calf and I think the solution to your problem is to draw it like a V with a curve inwards at the top left, then, as to avoid making it very human, you should draw the foot more... birdish. I would suggest maybe talon like? like a rat's leg almost with talons on the foot.

The problem with the tail, I think, is that you're having a hard time giving it proper thickness, it should run from very thick to a point, right now it's very even in width.

and lastly for your reptillian problem, you're drawing it like it was a dog, maybe try it supporting itsself with it's hind legs and leaned forward.

I hope this wasn't too much info, I think that this looks good and it could look great!

Oh, and maybe if you end up changing it try giving it's back a flow, like one smooth curve! It can end at the tail or keep going!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: August 05, 2012, 12:31:30 am »

-snip-

alright, thanks ill try some of those. *pulls up sticky notes program and pastes in advice*

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: August 05, 2012, 03:08:34 pm »

My latest WIP, seems I've caught the tdkr fever after seeing the film:
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 296