Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377780 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3870 on: August 01, 2012, 03:49:48 pm »

Well... I finally decided to man up and color something!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...plus I got make him funny afterwords

(In seriousness I would appreciate some critique on the shading!!!)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: August 01, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »

forget the shading. get a pencil and a notebook and start working on the human proportion

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »

well he's pretty deformed, what parts are the worst?
the ribcage? the arms? the chest?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: August 01, 2012, 07:10:14 pm »

i really don't want to be cruel, but i wouldn't save anything.
the torso is too wide, the arms too short, the anatomy is very weird overall, and god, are those his nipples?
you need to study proportion, anatomy, and the geometry of the human body, even if you want to make deformed caricatures. especially if you want to make deformed caricatures

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: August 01, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »

meh lad, there is no cruelty in constructive criticism! Thanks.

Anyways, Im fucking terrible at the tablet :( My anatomy is actually half way decent on paper and I can draw recognizable shapes. Hopefully practice will improve my tablet skills.

I'll try to get my old scanner working so I can post something a bit better

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: August 02, 2012, 08:41:56 am »

I'll agree that there are some overly harsh crit in this thread at times. But if you look past Askots lack of politeness and proper punctuation, his advice is actually good.

As for coming to tablets from traditional pen/pencil, it's as you have noticed not at all similar. Where pen/pencil work often is precise, thought out hand movements, tablet work is often more chaotic and more prone to the fabled "happy accidents".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:22 am »

It is especially bad when you have a tablet much smaller than your screen as that makes precise movements very difficult. It's why I do all my serious studying on paper and leave tablet-work for crappy forum game panels and such.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: August 02, 2012, 01:32:37 pm »

Thanks for the critique.

Are you really learning art all by yourself? If I hadn't know who you are, I would think that you are a student of some old and prestigious Russian fine arts academy. The technique is too old-school and academic for a hobbyist.

Also, the eyes look suspicious.

EDIT: "old-school" means classical.

How do you know who I really am? Perhaps I am a student in a prestigious Russian arts academy, and simply posing as a self-taught forumite to garner fame and admiration.

More seriously: I've had a few standard "arts & crafts" classes in school. I don't believe I benefited from those lessons much. I have at least one real-life (and real) artist to turn to for advice, though I receive no active instruction.

I don't see at all how this is "too old-school". Why can't a hobbyist learn from the old masters?

Lordnincompoop's fine portrait got me inspired to do some portrait drawing myself. Since (apparently) studying photos is bad, very bad, overwhelmingly bad and endangering the sanity of others, I've decided to draw the only person I can ask to pose for me — myself.

There are three common reasons for "bad shading":

1. Sloppiness
  2. Laziness
  3. Lack of practice

Rarely, you may encounter a fourth reason - improper pencil grade. I personally love my 4B, but if you don't have the Touch, you'll likely find it difficult to make all the shades you need with just a 4B. Try 2B, 6B, 2H, 4H and 6H as well (if you have them).

There is only one solution to the first two, and that is discipline. Try to have patience, a light touch, and plenty of care.

As for the third, you simply need to practice. Draw from life as carefully as you can (lack of practice is made worse by sloppiness, and often the two are confused) and practice drawing those balls. You can never escape the balls. Balls are for life.

EDIT: I'd just like to add that there is nothing horribly wrong with drawing from photographs, and that the person who gave you that advice should be slapped for hyperbole. Drawing from life is simply better.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:54:07 am by lordnincompoop »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: August 02, 2012, 04:38:45 pm »

How do you know who I really am?
By "If I hadn't known who you are", I've meant "If I hadn't known that you live in Sweden".

I don't see at all how this is "too old-school". Why can't a hobbyist learn from the old masters?

No, no, no! I don't mean that being "too old-school" is bad. For some odd reason (the absence of contours, perhaps?) your art reminds me of the studies from Russian art academies (and most art academies of the former Soviet Union, because they teach relatively the same), although your art is not as professional as those studies, obviously. Not many places in the West provides such education nowadays (as far as I know).
Your (apparent) very good knowledge of anatomy combined with the aforementioned really make you sound like you belong to a prestigious educational establishment.
You know, it's kinda difficult to guess who the person really is, if you live hundreds of kilometers away in a completely different country. :P

Oh, and thank you very much for the advice.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:42:55 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #3879 on: August 02, 2012, 07:08:37 pm »

I've found myself lurking around in this thread from time to time but I've never really posted anything since I'm not sure how you run things... :P
Could I just drop some engravings(that may or may not have been seen in an other thread) here and get some constructive feedback? :)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:33 pm »

Your welcome to post any image you want critique on, at least no one has told me otherwise yet (and my images are terrible!)

Anyways, I finally got my scanner set up and to rectify the horribleness of the last pic (which has become apparent to me) I think this one is a little more together and critique-able

sorry about the fuzziness of the left side but this was drawn in a notebook.

the right-hand arm is too far out from where the shoulder SHOULD start I think, other than that can anyone tell me if the neck/trapezius/chest area looks ok? I feel like its too large vertically. ofc other critique would be great too!

EDIT: can someone help me on drawing the ribs?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:16:06 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #3881 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »

Your proportions are off, your musculature tone is unballanced and it looks like you've never seen a naked person in your life.

Go look up muscles and try to keep your proportions similar scale, your arms and legs are short the chest is wide, I'm not going to say anything about the groin, its just that bad.

Its like you drew it through a fishbowl.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: August 02, 2012, 09:13:59 pm »

2nd try, this time I refered to some other sources.

Also relatively large sized pic.

also: feet continue to elude me and I forgot to erase some lines where the chest meets the shoulder.

EDIT: when you said the groin I assume you were talking about how the crotch was shaped?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:16:28 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: August 02, 2012, 10:43:03 pm »

You're definitely better on paper right now. Keep working on the tablet until it's second nature.

The ribs need to be a little more evident, but only a little more since this person is fairly muscular. Personally my ribcage ends after the first set of abs. All you would see from the ribcage on someone like this would be the last couple ribs to the left and right of the first abs with the connecting bones being hidden by the ab muscles.

The ribcage also affects the tapering at the sides. The torso narrows a little before the end of the ribcage, but once the ribcage ends it tapers noticeably. If you look at pictures of muscular people you can see what I mean.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #3884 on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:16 am »

I'm going to say your guys arms are not muscularly even to the torso, if you have pecks like (even though they are very unnatural) that your going to have thicker arms...

The best way I've found for feet is a cone with a sloped rectangle attached from there you can draw in details.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 296