Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377802 times)

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3825 on: May 24, 2012, 08:35:59 am »

Wow, I really like that piece, Blue Viking Hog.

Even though it looks a little rough, I'm loving the choice of colors and the light effects. It really brings the painting to life.

Jopax

Keep being awesome. :P

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: May 27, 2012, 06:57:17 am »

Spoiler: spoiled for big (click to show/hide)

Trying to experiment with focal points and color temperature.
Mostly I'm trying to see if I can emphasize a direction strong enough to distract from other elements
I'm aware that the anatomy and perspective might be a little off (hello weird shoulder) but I wasn't sure if it
was worth the time to correct for the purpose of the experiment. I plan on trying more things like this in the future.

Can anyone tell me if it worked?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:09:36 am by Robocorn »

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3827 on: May 27, 2012, 10:01:33 am »

«☼Snip☼»

The pic is pretty huge, you might want to spoiler it.

First, I really like how you used soft brushes. And the purple, blue and a bit of silver colour palette. I'm a sucker for those :P And they do wonders on the background.

The lighting and colours are a bit weird though. The room itself looks like it's completely dark, except the dim light coming from outside of course. That would be fine if it weren't for the Sun behind the window casting light directly in the room. It's not clear though, it may be even a cloud or the Moon. Anyways, the blue light outside suggest it's daylight, while the room is way too dark. Maybe the colours outside the window should be darker too.

As for the character, she looks okay, although not detailed enough. But you said it's only an experiment. The folding on the pajamas is good, but the ones on the sheets are even better. The shoulder is not that off, but should be moved a bit higher. What's more concerning is that ear, it's way too large, and a bit too low.

The pose is also strange. She doesn't look like she's actually sitting on the edge of the bed, but neither like she's just about to stand up.

The last thing that looks off to me is that the branches look like they intertwine with the window bars. Not sure if that's intended or just an opacity mistake.

Anyways, I really like it even though I've been listing only mistakes. But that's what a critique's supposed to do, right? And I'd say your experiment worked, but needs some polish.

omgdon'tlookunderthebed... :c

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: May 27, 2012, 10:26:31 am »

«☼Snip☼»
First, I really like how you used soft brushes. And the purple, blue and a bit of silver colour palette. I'm a sucker for those :P And they do wonders on the background.

The lighting and colours are a bit weird though. The room itself looks like it's completely dark, except the dim light coming from outside of course. That would be fine if it weren't for the Sun behind the window casting light directly in the room. It's not clear though, it may be even a cloud or the Moon. Anyways, the blue light outside suggest it's daylight, while the room is way too dark. Maybe the colours outside the window should be darker too.

As for the character, she looks okay, although not detailed enough. But you said it's only an experiment. The folding on the pajamas is good, but the ones on the sheets are even better. The shoulder is not that off, but should be moved a bit higher. What's more concerning is that ear, it's way too large, and a bit too low.

The pose is also strange. She doesn't look like she's actually sitting on the edge of the bed, but neither like she's just about to stand up.

The last thing that looks off to me is that the branches look like they intertwine with the window bars. Not sure if that's intended or just an opacity mistake.

Anyways, I really like it even though I've been listing only mistakes. But that's what a critique's supposed to do, right? And I'd say your experiment worked, but needs some polish.

Thanks for the critique.

I can't really take credit for the colours, I nicked them from colourlovers

I'll have to remember next time that custard might be too warm to read as nighttime. Next time I do a night scene I'll probably have to temp back the light source
unless it's incandescent.

When I toggle the line layer I find that just about every part of her seems to have slipped off of the bed and elongated I've got to find a better way to block in colour :P

The branches do intertwine, though not really intentionally, I kind of chumped this painting out so it only wound up only having around 4 layers with unrelated purposes, probably why everything screwed up except the bed.

I'm pretty excited that the experiment worked though, it means that my graphic design book was worth something afterall :P.
I figure nobody whips out a masterpiece in 40 minutes so with additional scrutiny I maight be able to pull something half decent.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: May 27, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »

The lightning coming from the window gives me a 'cold wintery night' feel, it is coming from street lights but it's somewhat diffused and softened by the atmosphere. And yeah, with a bit more work it could be a pretty nice piece.

Anyways, did another one, this one started out with wetness being the main selling point (also a quote I remembered from somewhere: When it rains it pours), played around a bit before settling on this particular setup, then I kinda dropped it and couldn't look at it since it seemed to require too much work to look like I imagined it, after a while I was just too bored and trudged trough it untill the end :D
Spoiler: Ze image (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #3830 on: May 31, 2012, 05:04:24 pm »

Sat down trying to randomly get some kind of insiration out of the damn blue... put mouse to scream and waved it around with my eyes closed.
Spoiler:  its big. (click to show/hide)
Doesnt help me but its neat.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 31, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »

you forgot greenland

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 05, 2012, 06:54:33 pm »

a callaic warrior, a celtic people from northwestern iberia, modern galicia and northen portugal, based on a 2nd century BC statue and contemporary artefact findings

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3833 on: June 12, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »

Many people told me to stop using only the default vanilla round photoshop brush and start using more variety and colour. This was a meek and shy attempt at that, but i don't know... colours scare me D:
The skull per se is done with my usual brushsplattering and I like how it looks on it's own.
Spoiler:  smile.jpg (click to show/hide)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3834 on: June 17, 2012, 08:11:22 pm »

It looks like my previous post killed the thread. It's either that, or you guys are lazy and not drawing :P If it's the former, I'll try to redeem myself with an portrait of a friend.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:02 pm »

pretty awesome, and I'm just bein' lazy. Actually, I've encountered a bit of a conundrum I love the tablet and it's easy to use, but I'm alot more skilled at just using a pencil to draw, I.E. I can't replicate alot of stuff done by pencil on the tablet.

Unless your friend is raising her right eyebrow, I think your brows are a tad off (not by much) Or maybe the upper nose on the right is off.

Also, love the lips, they look very well defined.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 17, 2012, 10:29:03 pm »

actually one eyebrow looks just plain missing.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3837 on: June 18, 2012, 02:38:59 am »

Her eyebrows and eyelashes are not very distinct since her hair is fair, but they're not THAT invisible. I'll have to fix that.
"Hey, can you come over, I need to take a closer look at your eyebrows" I already see this will be fun :P

And thanks about the lips! Considering how they were a hassle earlier, it's a surprise how much I like drawing them now.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 23, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »

Hayoooooo!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Byooooo!!!!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rose