Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378135 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3240 on: September 15, 2011, 06:20:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't get close, you won't like it when it's close X(

And Sean kudos for sticking with something for so long, i would have called it finished or saved it to never look upon it again if i was so annoyed by something XD

But generally that piece lacks contrast that would bring out the piece in focus (the two dude things i assume), shading in general would be piciking two colors according to the atmosphere/desired effect and using their various shades to bring out areas or pull them back.I generally go with dark blues and very light yellows or just plain b/w shading depending on how productive i feel.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:43 pm »

One day, late at night, I was messing around with Grafx2, trying to get more acquainted with the various tools. Also trying to figure out how to change keyboard shortcuts. Then I kind of forgot all that. I still don't even know if the program supports keyboard shortcuts. Being able to bind something to "undo", at least, would be really nice. That day was today.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:38 am »

And Sean kudos for sticking with something for so long, i would have called it finished or saved it to never look upon it again if i was so annoyed by something XD
Eh, I've stuck it into a folder where I keep all my drawings, so it's bound to catch my attention every once in a while. I'll probably kill all shading and redo it from scratch someday.

But generally that piece lacks contrast that would bring out the piece in focus (the two dude things i assume), shading in general would be piciking two colors according to the atmosphere/desired effect and using their various shades to bring out areas or pull them back.I generally go with dark blues and very light yellows or just plain b/w shading depending on how productive i feel.
Yes, that's more or less a common complaint about it. Not in contrast. Well, the problem with contrast probably started with the fact that I'm using a laptop, and more often than not I'm moving around the place a lot when I'm feeling creative, so I'm having problems aiming the screen at my face - which results in odd contrast choices. I've found just running the whole thing through an Equalize filter to be an improvement, but not nearly enough of one to resort to such simple measures. I'd rather recolor everything again, because I'm trying to advance my skills, and this work acts as a test to see how far they've advanced.

Speaking of which, how about this shading technique:
I'm continuing the shady practices of practicing shading using the Mii'Ari race (because if you can shade fur and metal you can shade pretty much anything), and this time I think I did a lot better than usual. I'll try something else and see if this was a fluke or I can actually do something like that repeatedly.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:11 am »

That one looks pretty nicely, but the shading itslef is kind of muted for my tastes, one of the problems i think when doing complete pieces is that you keep this sort of slightly muted shading that works perfectly for white backgrounds but is just too weak for pieces with multiple color backgrounds which makes them blend in.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:01 am »

And using darker shades makes the whole thing look too dark against a white background. I'll try something with scenery to see how well this kinda technique scales.

I'm still not sure whether Photoshop's lack of a blending mode good for both shadows and highlights is a good thing or a bad thing.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:20 am »

Speaking of which, how about this shading technique:
I'm continuing the shady practices of practicing shading using the Mii'Ari race (because if you can shade fur and metal you can shade pretty much anything), and this time I think I did a lot better than usual. I'll try something else and see if this was a fluke or I can actually do something like that repeatedly.

It looks fine to my layman's eyes (having not yet worked much in colour), if that's the style you're aiming for.

On another note, the figure's back is much too straight.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: September 16, 2011, 02:22:45 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:44:12 am by Ogdibus »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: September 18, 2011, 06:09:54 am »

I still can't do designs like that, but I'm making some progress on a cartoonish style that I can actually draw in.

I even managed to draw and color my own avatar (not the forum avatar, that's just the Symbol of Psionic Flame), the guy from my RPG 'verse that I take the forum name from:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:20:13 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:37 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:44:24 am by Ogdibus »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: September 18, 2011, 07:33:22 am »

I keep just about everything in layers, even the fur texture on the furry characters is a layer separate from color and shading. So it's less worrying about messing a picture up, and more just me being unwilling to experiment much. I keep trying to introduce more complex techniques, but it's usually small step by very small step.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: September 18, 2011, 12:09:26 pm »

I even managed to draw and color my own avatar (not the forum avatar, that's just the Symbol of Psionic Flame), the guy from my  RPG 'verse that I take the forum name from:
now that we're talking human, there's no excuse for the short legs. the academically accepted standard of proportions or canon is 7 1/2 heads tall, though artistic works tend to use 8, 8 1/2 or even 9, your character barelly has 5. 6 heads could work, i've worked with 6 heads, but anything bellow that makes it look cartoony. besides height in heads, one thing you should note is that the center of the body is usually at the pelvis, not at the waist

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:37 pm »

Well, this style is cartoonish... >_>

I never bother myself with "heads of measurement". As long as it looks appropriate, it works for me. Maybe I subconsciously dislike long legs, I don't know. I'll try more realistic proportions once I can draw more realistic pictures.

Also, maybe he's half dwarf. What? You never know. :P

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: September 20, 2011, 08:26:56 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:44:50 am by Ogdibus »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile