Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378217 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3180 on: July 23, 2011, 01:32:32 am »

I was going through the illustrations I've planned for RTDMM's final update, but when I got to this one I unexpectedly decided to try and experiment. This is the first time I've drawn anything (well, digitally anyway) without any sort of outlines. Turned out to be kinda fun. I'll try it with some proper scenes later.

It's not much of a spoiler (just a scenic view), but just in case you don't want to see it before the rest of the update:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This image is the first of yours I've seen that hasn't looked stilted and generic, and that I haven't wanted to imediatelly close the spoiler of before it ruins my own mental images. Perhaps now that you've used so many outlines, the art you draw in your own style will be rather good.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:06 pm »

(Kim's Fried Chicken)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: July 24, 2011, 03:49:32 pm »

I just don't know where to put this, it's of Darvi's avatar, and I tried my darndest to get the proportions better than 60% of my drawings.

Obviously the shape of the head isn't "right", that part was intentional. Also, I did this one without any references, and that tends to destroy my drawings.

And sensei, we all love you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:28:58 pm by freeformschooler »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:02 pm »

I want all the nitpicky faults you can find, GO!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:20 pm »

Your handling of light and color continues to improve! The brushstrokes are still a bit distracting (I like visible strokes, but a lot of obvious lines across a large area looks sloppy). Still, tons better than where you started.

As far as nitpicks... I guess the only real complaints I have involve bits where I'm not quite buying the volume in the shapes. Like the upper left (his right) arm. Is it supposed to be boxlike, made out of rectangles? If so, is it twisted a bit? Or is it a wonky cylinder with seams? Not quite sure. The shoulder area that it's feeding into doesn't seem to have a very large opening for it to fit. Is it pinching there? His smaller gun arm is a little ambiguous on form as well.

I like that head/turret thing and the upper torso, though. Nice colors, light, and volume on those.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3185 on: July 28, 2011, 02:20:17 am »

Quick and dirty pic to break in my new tablet. Nothing new or exciting here.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: July 28, 2011, 02:46:41 am »

Your handling of light and color continues to improve! The brushstrokes are still a bit distracting (I like visible strokes, but a lot of obvious lines across a large area looks sloppy). Still, tons better than where you started.

As far as nitpicks... I guess the only real complaints I have involve bits where I'm not quite buying the volume in the shapes. Like the upper left (his right) arm. Is it supposed to be boxlike, made out of rectangles? If so, is it twisted a bit? Or is it a wonky cylinder with seams? Not quite sure. The shoulder area that it's feeding into doesn't seem to have a very large opening for it to fit. Is it pinching there? His smaller gun arm is a little ambiguous on form as well.

I like that head/turret thing and the upper torso, though. Nice colors, light, and volume on those.

They are supposed to be round, but i can see what you mean, i never could do cylinders properly when it came to highlighting them (it shows on the smaller gun barrells too). As far as thick lines and obvious brush strokes go i blame my laziness for that.I usually start with a general shape then gradually tighten it down over several layers untill i have the desired shape and some details in, by this point i am usually done with the torso, head and probably one of the arms but i get anxious to color and shade the damn thing so i usually skip the rest to get there faster, that is why most of my works have sucky legs XD
AS - IG

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: July 28, 2011, 01:32:30 pm »

I got a question guys. How do you fill in brush-made strokes nicely in Photoshop/GIMP? Even with the tolerance way up and antialiasing on with the bucket tool, filling them tends to give results like this:

The best solution I have is to avoid the fill tool and color on a different layer.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: July 28, 2011, 01:40:11 pm »

Use hard brushes and the edges should be filled fine.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: July 28, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »

bucket tool

Here's your problem. Don't use the bucket tool.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: July 28, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »

bucket tool

This. Use Layers instead. Use a transparent layer for the line work, and a layer beneath it for the colouring.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: July 28, 2011, 02:14:16 pm »

The best solution I have is to avoid the fill tool and color on a different layer.

That really is the best solution. You can also not use antialiasing, in which case the bucket tool will work, but that leads to a whole different aesthetic. I think flood fill just mathematically works in a way that stops you from using it on antialiased images.

I haven't made anything worthwhile lately, so here's some idle doodles.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: July 28, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »

Use hard brushes and the edges should be filled fine.

Aww, but the square brush looks so pretty.

bucket tool

This. Use Layers instead. Use a transparent layer for the line work, and a layer beneath it for the colouring.

Yeah, that's about what I thought. I've begun to draw that way mostly. Back when I used a mouse I didn't bother with the brush tool and just used the pencil and bucket, but tablet+brush tool gives a wide array of nice looks (including the sketch look from MKWRTD's illustrations I've been doing).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:36 pm »

Select tools, mainly magic wand and lasso tool in photoshop, lets you select the desired shape and paint within it as much as you please, one of the ways i've found to do the cleanup at the end of a drawing, selecting your outlines as you desire them then painting in the background freely around the charachter without any fear of messing up the main piece.
AS - IG

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: July 28, 2011, 06:27:00 pm »

Select tools, mainly magic wand and lasso tool in photoshop, lets you select the desired shape and paint within it as much as you please, one of the ways i've found to do the cleanup at the end of a drawing, selecting your outlines as you desire them then painting in the background freely around the charachter without any fear of messing up the main piece.

Actually, the magic wand tool works under the same logic as the paint bucket tool when it comes to antialiased lines, unless they've fixed that since Photoshop CS3. You can select inside it but without doing something like select>grow, there will be a few pixels that don't get selected barring something weird like ridiculously high tolerance.

Less work to paint on a different layer.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 296