Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378264 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3150 on: July 03, 2011, 08:18:18 am »

This would probably be useful reference:
http://www.posemaniacs.com/archives/153

Anatomy is something you just have to keep looking at and drawing until you get it down, unfortunately. My anatomy isn't too great, so take these pictures only as a vague guide. I am also crap at explaining.

-Something is a bit weird with the way her upper body connects with her lower body.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-The pose and body is quite stiff.

-Some shading notes.

Some fun little exercises:
-Make a black and white picture only. Shade with black.
-Doodle in the old MSPaint. You won't have your fancy smoothing effects when shading.
-Go to http://kuler.adobe.com/. Pick a color scheme, and make a picture ONLY using those colors. This one is pretty fun actually, and make sure to try and figure out why some of those colors work together.

Also, I'm absolute trash at color theory, but I do know that with shadows, you don't simply want to take the same color and just make it darker for shading. There is weird voodoo involved that I do not completely understand, and you will have to look for further info online.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: July 03, 2011, 01:19:33 pm »

Thanks for the help, first of all...
Pose was supposed to express the following, as was already said earlier: Smug confidence, elegance. It might not even need to be a solid standing position, could be sort of like "just hovered down".
No filters or graphic effects were used in the making of the picture, especially the shading (which I tend to apply too sparingly). I just took a bog-standard water color brush and went over it. Perhaps I should just use a bog-standard color filling in tool instead, aka paint brush/pencil. Doesn't hurt to start at the basics.
Not being capable of making the pieces fit together is actually kind of a long term disease for me. Not uncurable, though.

You'd perhaps be surprised, but experimenting with limited palettes/weird coloring is something I like to do, although it only shows in some canvas works I have lying around in my room (and, tbh, they all are kind of crappy, but it's the crazy ideas that I used in their making, for me)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:54 pm »

To convey elegance and such via pose, you definitely need to practice gestures, and start to take a look at understanding line of action. It'll also help you piece the body together. I may be wrong, but sheer volume helps out a lot here, and you just want to pump out a ton of tiny doodles to practice this sort of stuff.

There is also a pretty neat reference for the "floating down" pose in site I linked before.

Using a watercolor brush is fine, just make sure to block the stuff out first.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: July 05, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »

I just might give this a shot. However, I do not like to use MS paint and will be submitting hand-drawn pencil pictures.

However, if you request something specifically I might give MS Paint a shot.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: July 05, 2011, 11:58:19 pm »

Just use what you want to learn about, get experience in, and have fun with. Besides, if we were going to demand you use a certain medium, and if that medium was digital, we would not ask you to inflict MS Paint on us, but instead recommend at least GIMP (which is free) or Photoshop (if you already have it).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: July 07, 2011, 09:55:57 am »

finals are over yesssss just many years of tertiary education to goooo

that is a mildly sad thought! however now I can get down to sleeping and wiling my time away in other non-productive pursuits. like drawing!

this was a request from one of my friends. I decided to post it here because I think it's probably the nicest thing I've drawn to date, and if people can tell me how to make it better.. that would be pretty neat. :V

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: July 07, 2011, 10:46:01 am »

It's a flying penguin, i don't think it gets any better than that :P

I like the perspective you did with the color there, reminds me of those shadow puppet cartoons.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: July 07, 2011, 11:00:25 am »

I like the background. I know someone else who does cool layered monotone backgrounds like that. Every time I try to pull it off it looks terrible.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:50 pm »

Here's another one from the Multiworlds:

Comments welcome, I guess. Shading's still all over the place I think, but at least I'm getting the hang of decent linework.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: July 07, 2011, 12:56:20 pm »

I'm not one to say much, so don't really take my words to thought, but it just seems a bit... awkward.

The guy on left doesn't seem... realistic? It's hard to put it in words but I'm just getting the feeling that this scene couldn't happen, the people don't seem to convey what they would if this were happening.

It might be the posing, or the facial expressions, but I can't tell.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: July 07, 2011, 01:50:35 pm »

Yeah, the pose is a little off on the left guy, and the proportions aren't very accurate. I guess it's a weird case of uncanny valley - it's close to believable, but odd enough to create a disproportionately large negative effect.

I guess it doesn't help that I had to flip the whole thing horizontally after completing the linework - weapons were in the wrong hands.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: July 07, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »

Damn LoL and it's waiting queue's making me doodle in boredom :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: July 07, 2011, 08:02:19 pm »

I drew something! Has been a while.

Spoiler: "clicky" (click to show/hide)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: July 08, 2011, 02:38:28 am »

The only tip off the top of my head is to make sure you're using horizontal lines to track landmarks on the body between views. That way you make sure your proportions stay consistent when you actually model. Having the two views disagree on just where the knees (or whatever) ought to be placed is annoying to deal with.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: July 08, 2011, 09:24:15 am »

Yep. Got so many guides running I can hardly see where to paint! :D

One mistake was making the sideview first I think. Probably would have been better to do the front first.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 296