Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378308 times)

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3030 on: April 18, 2011, 10:40:24 am »

Thanks for the answers. As for the eyes and stuff - my sketch looked something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I drew it after my cat  :) So the eyes and the nose bridge area are actually feline.
I thought it would be okay but it seems I haven't been able to make the initial concept clear (human face + animal features + nonstandard beauty). And the uneven frontal lighting made it even worse... my fault.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #3031 on: April 18, 2011, 11:01:58 am »

Mechlin: When I follow guide-lines up from each corners of the mouth, they land in different places on the eye sockets. The mouth and eyes appear to be rotated to the viewer's right, where as the eyes appear rotated to the left. Personally, I don't think it is a huge issue, but it is probably being intensified for others by the non-standard proportions, and by the convincing realistic rendering.

Overall though I think both are fantastic, and I hope that you will share more in the future :) We are very critique oriented and I hope that doesn't put you off.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #3032 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:05 am »

Cat dwarf? Makes sense.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: April 18, 2011, 06:54:48 pm »

Mechlin: When I follow guide-lines up from each corners of the mouth, they land in different places on the eye sockets..
i don't see that :\ when applying the distortion from being placed on a curved surface, the lines land on the right places. what actually bothers me in that second version with the guide lines is the outline of the face, the right edge of the face should be closer to the right eye and the left edge should be further away from the left eye. it was alright in the first version, so i assume they were just hastily done because of perceived lack of importance, the nose-eyes relation was the thing being questioned after all.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3034 on: April 24, 2011, 02:50:40 pm »

Suggestions on improvement anyone?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:40 am »

A bit more definition on the teeth, some shadows, and something to tie it all together, right now it kind of looks disconnected for some reason, like someone made a collage out of several pictures.

In other news, progress is slow and all i can muster lately are random doodles that end up somewhat finished.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3036 on: April 25, 2011, 01:01:30 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.

That is one cool doodle.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: April 26, 2011, 01:39:40 pm »

Jopax: I think it's a bit unclear where the light is coming from there. I get that he's silhouetted against the sky in a dark room or a cave or something, but you've intricately shaded every single bit of his armour, even the parts that shouldn't be getting any light at all. Like those vertical blocks on his chest, and the grille-thing between them. Where is the light coming from? There would need to be a bunch of spotlights in front of him to create that effect.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: April 26, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »

I noticed that when i was doing the overall shading and toned it down quite a bit, seems like it wasn't enough X)

But one idea was to make his suit some sort of lightsource, i just never got around to do that X)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: April 27, 2011, 03:33:54 pm »

This is fan art for a forum adventure inspired by TES: Oblivion. I think it turned out pretty well, which means that I need someone else to point out all the glaring flaws. :)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: April 27, 2011, 06:25:19 pm »

This is fan art for a forum adventure inspired by TES: Oblivion. I think it turned out pretty well, which means that I need someone else to point out all the glaring flaws. :)

PREQUEL, huh? ;)

This is pretty good, actually, but I think the shoulders and upper arms look a bit off to me. I don't really put my finger on it, though.

That magic arm doesn't really look natural to me. It's leaning inward toward her middle, but at the same time her hand is tilting outward. The palm also looks wonky, and I think the hand needs some work if you wanted to have it turned up toward the sky (does this make sense?). The robe looks a bit rigid in places too.

It may just be the pants here, but her legs seem to start splitting around where her knees are.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:06 pm »

I'm not sure if I could really call this 'art' haha. It's more of a curiosity I guess. I was kind of daydreaming about df and was trying to come up with ways for df to be more.. visually informative I guess? so I hastily shopped this

a/w I am hoping to have time for actual art soon, so woo :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:37:41 am by jrmy »

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: April 27, 2011, 11:22:21 pm »

ton of stuff
ton of stuff
Thanks, guys. I was actually kind of expecting being told to GTHO, being as bad as I am. But now I have some idea of what to work on to improve, and a few resources to help me do so.

I probably won't post any more pictures until they're much, much better. Your eyes can thanks me later.

No problem. I've been too lazy to actually make any art lately, but I'm never too lazy to help out :D well, only sometimes :3

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: April 28, 2011, 03:46:59 am »

PREQUEL, huh? ;)

This is pretty good, actually, but I think the shoulders and upper arms look a bit off to me. I don't really put my finger on it, though.

That magic arm doesn't really look natural to me. It's leaning inward toward her middle, but at the same time her hand is tilting outward. The palm also looks wonky, and I think the hand needs some work if you wanted to have it turned up toward the sky (does this make sense?). The robe looks a bit rigid in places too.

It may just be the pants here, but her legs seem to start splitting around where her knees are.

Oh, yeah, I definitely see what you're saying about the magic arm. It's like every part of it was shown from a different angle. I think I imagined it sort of pointing to the side, but I seem to have forgotten what I was doing halfway through. :P

Not sure what you mean about the legs.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: April 28, 2011, 06:52:59 am »

PREQUEL is like the best thing ever. :3
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...