Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378369 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #2865 on: February 26, 2011, 10:33:47 am »

i made a typo, its mandryk.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200937

you can see the characters that heavily inspired those if you scroll down abit.

yeah, thats a rough for a crossbow, a carved bones shooting one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:37:15 am by burningpet »

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2866 on: February 26, 2011, 11:52:02 am »

Derp: You have a good style developing, but I think you might benefit from studying models from life a bit more. The figures are almost believable, but there is a stiffness and a little oddness about the limbs that seems to hurt the naturalism. Life studies will surely iron that out.

Mendonca: Are you working partly from photos?

burningpet: These are fantastic :) Try to find where your figures are divided between light and dark. As a rule, the lightest part of the dark area, should never be as light as the darkest part of the light area. It is difficult to get the meaning of that statement and apply it - let me know and I will try and find an example. The other thing is to conserve your white highlights for only the areas where you want to draw the viewers attention. Generally these whites should also have the sharpest edges in the painting.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: February 26, 2011, 08:25:07 pm »

I think everything I've posted here has been in a completely different style. I don't generally stick to one. I like to experiment.

Anyway, I just drew this with shapes and fills in GIMP, very fast. I don't like how big the eyes are, or how the left leg (foot? shoe?) is very wonky, but boy I sure do love some Kirby.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I made another image in this same style in the time it took this thread to not have any posts. Actually, it took me an hour, but that's because I've really never drawn in this style before except the above case, and it's entirely lines, fills and shapes. No freehanding here.

Link's face looks very silly, and I had originally added more features like eyebrows to make him more Wind Waker-y, but then I decided I just liked the almost Lucky Cat-esque Link face instead.

And now I just realized that I got a couple of the shades wrong herp derp, AND the right hand looks awful.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:03:36 pm by freeformschooler »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: February 27, 2011, 01:04:56 am »

Mendonca: Are you working partly from photos?

'fraid not. all just spills out the mind. How so?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: February 27, 2011, 10:05:29 am »

I made a Mario, too, just now. I like this one even less than the Link one.

What do you guys think?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: February 28, 2011, 12:46:33 am »

It's speed ~pixel art, where the normal advantage is in working on detail; not really much to critique that doesn't break down to how steady your mouse is. A couple things do stick out, like Link's mangled legs, deformed right hand, Mario's torn overalls, and doll-like limbs. Why not try things other than characters? Like the view while sitting on the inside of a toroidal space station? A ridiculously large one where you can see windows, semi-buildings, and varied spokes (to a central structure) stretching off into the distance and up above.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: February 28, 2011, 09:23:56 am »

Hey, yeah, thanks Nivm. I was just experimenting, I'm glad you said that. Building structures are much more my speed, I'm glad I'm not a character artist. Especially since I can't do hands. Thanks for the critique, again. It's a shame we don't have more active artists so that my pixel art doesn't stay at the bottom for like days.

Thanks for the idea for the space station, too. I think I might try to do that in 3D sometime, render it and stick it in here.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2872 on: February 28, 2011, 11:22:12 am »

'fraid not. all just spills out the mind. How so?

Something just looked photographic about them. It is hard to describe, but drawings tend to look a certain way when done from photo reference, I guess because cameras and eyes see differently. But, since you aren't working from a photo I would just say you are doing a really good job with form!

freeformschooler: Guild participation comes in waves, because of everyone's schedules I think.

I think your drawings look good but you need to put more care into the structure of the character's bodies. Mario and Link don't seem to have a skeleton. Kirby is an exception to that for obvious reasons. Maybe look at some skeleton anatomy photos and think about how the forms of the body are dictated by the positions of the bones. It should remedy the 'dolls limbs,' issue.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: February 28, 2011, 11:26:20 am »

I'm not sure what position the Mario's supposed to be in; either looking up or from the front seems to be what you're trying to do. He doesn't seem to be standing properly because of the position of the feet, and his arms are a bit lopsided.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:24 pm »

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I said that I tend not to draw human-like things when I first joined the guild. Spreggo, I'll definitely look up some online resources on that (and at my library), it would be a good thing to know. LN is right, too, in that I was attempting to do a coherent pose but it sort of fell through once I got to the legs, and that's most noticeable in Link but still very noticable in Mario.

In other news I've been reading the archive and @burningpet my God do you have a Deviantart? Because I would like to see some more of your work.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2875 on: February 28, 2011, 01:45:21 pm »

I'm working on a picture to submit to the monthly art contest for a MUD I play.  My character is the lizard and she does NOT get on well with the fishwoman she is forced to work with. >_>
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:26:21 pm by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2876 on: February 28, 2011, 02:04:22 pm »

Very nice, what are their roles?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: February 28, 2011, 02:06:07 pm »

Whoa  :o that's pretty impressive, I hope you win a prize. Anyway, if you're not done with it yet, the only problem I could spot is that the sense of depth is messed up by the table the lizard is on and whatever (counter? looks like it) the fish is behind sort of blending together near the lizard. Unless they do blend together and that's intentional.

(love the bluh bluh's)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2878 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:23 pm »

Very nice, what are their roles?

They're a pair of occultists/researchers working on the cure to a bioweapon that's spreading through the game at the moment.  The fishwoman (Prism) is a proponent of Old School magical theory, as opposed to my character (Yusri) who is rigidly scientific and methodical.  They are both pretty much convinced that they're always right. 

the only problem I could spot is that the sense of depth is messed up by the table the lizard is on and whatever (counter? looks like it) the fish is behind sort of blending together near the lizard.

I'm not quite sure what's going on there, but I think I will probably pretend it's intentional and try and add more depth when I do the colouring.  I'm not inclined to spend a whole lot more time on this one.

(love the bluh bluh's)
Spoiler: "HUGE FISH." (click to show/hide)
Also known as Zuhayr.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: February 28, 2011, 02:36:52 pm »

If my guess is correct and that's two panels, either you have to make the border between them clearer (move the lizardman's arms) or put some more space in between them. Right now, it all looks to be part of the same scene.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 296