Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378380 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #2835 on: February 17, 2011, 05:23:07 pm »

Spoiler: Now in color (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: February 17, 2011, 05:59:56 pm »

Spoiler: Now in color (click to show/hide)

I thought it looked a bit flat at first glance, and I see why. There's no perspective distortion in the picture; the grass is the same size and length all the way through, and I'd expect the tree to be smaller that close to the horizon. The pole seems to fade into the ground, reinforcing the flat look.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: February 17, 2011, 06:30:01 pm »

Now that you mention it, it does look flat, and the pole seems to fade into the clouds too >.<
AS - IG

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: February 17, 2011, 06:33:28 pm »

I like the clouds though, how'd you do that?

*is incompetent with Photoshop*

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: February 17, 2011, 06:36:03 pm »

Some custom brushes i have, but most of the time i don't use them since they look too good, so they kinda stand out XD
AS - IG

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: February 17, 2011, 06:44:34 pm »

Mind sharing the brushes? :I

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: February 17, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »

Sure, i got a few packs a while ago so i'm not sure which one is with these brushes, so take both, they're not really large :)

First one

Second one
AS - IG

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:33 pm »

Found this sketch I did some time ago, when I was trying to figure out what my thoughts were on how lady dwarves work.

I tend to follow the vanilla raws, which leave out beards for the females. But that leaves some figuring on making them look properly Dwarfy, instead of short sexy human ladies.

One idea was that they could hide their bare chins with clothing, especially when confronting other races. And wear tough-looking armor into battle. The idea is not that dwarven women are oppressed and forced to adhere to the way their men look - it's more that as dwarves, it's an aesthetic they find pleasing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have another idea, but I'm waiting to get a drawing to illustrate it that isn't completely ugly. You'd think that being a chick myself, I'd have a better idea of how to draw feminine critters. :d
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:12:04 pm by strongrudder »
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:08 am »

Found this sketch I did some time ago, when I was trying to figure out what my thoughts were on how lady dwarves work.

I tend to follow the vanilla raws, which leave out beards for the females. But that leaves some figuring on making them look properly Dwarfy, instead of short sexy human ladies.

One idea was that they could hide their bare chins with clothing, especially when confronting other races. And wear tough-looking armor into battle. The idea is not that dwarven women are oppressed and forced to adhere to the way their men look - it's more that as dwarves, it's an aesthetic they find pleasing.

I have another idea, but I'm waiting to get a drawing to illustrate it that isn't completely ugly. You'd think that being a chick myself, I'd have a better idea of how to draw feminine critters. :d

More. That's amazing.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: February 18, 2011, 08:14:52 am »

Unless she has an epic chin, I'd expect the mask thing to be over her nose too, as it seems pretty loose.

It's nice though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:39 pm »

I really like that, Strongrudder. Any plans on doing a colored version?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: February 18, 2011, 02:33:46 pm »

You'd think that being a chick myself, I'd have a better idea of how to draw feminine critters. :d

Not to draw any conclusions about your preferences, but we study what interests us I guess. I find myself having much more fun when I draw females than males... must be all them curves.   :D

Like her expression though! Despite half the face being covered her facial expression can be read quite clearly.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »

Just realized I hit the hyperlink button instead of the image-embedding one in my last post. Fixed that. :d

Unless she has an epic chin, I'd expect the mask thing to be over her nose too, as it seems pretty loose.

It's nice though.
That's a good point. It'd probably be obnoxious to deal with if the thing were too loose.

Not to draw any conclusions about your preferences, but we study what interests us I guess. I find myself having much more fun when I draw females than males... must be all them curves.   :D

Like her expression though! Despite half the face being covered her facial expression can be read quite clearly.
I do like drawing animals/monsters and dudes, so you may have something there. I can draw women when I have reference, but when I don't I default to manly anatomy somehow. Still working on that.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: February 18, 2011, 05:22:24 pm »

I do like drawing animals/monsters and dudes, so you may have something there. I can draw women when I have reference, but when I don't I default to manly anatomy somehow. Still working on that.
[/quote]
You're drawing Dwarves here. Their women should be at least as manly as human men.

Male dwarves are on a whole new plane of mangrit.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: February 19, 2011, 03:21:28 am »

For a beardless dwarf of a non-military profession, perhaps you could try a (tighter, raised, and) heavily decorated version. Not necessarily random pigments, hanging chains, or rings, but a fuller and more detailed patterns; perhaps of the repeating kind that looks like it's moving without doing so. I have an image of a diamonds inside diamonds pattern in my mind, that although innocuous when flat, gives the impression of a smiling toothy maw when worn.
 Although, when I try to remember images of stocky women, the chin and eye sockets always seem to decide the effect, so it sounds like a bad idea to obscure those features. For a moment there, I thought Maran Gor would be a good example, but although the KoDP image of her is immediately distinguishable as "a strong, stocky woman", she's not nearly short enough, and fat.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 296