Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tower of Babble  (Read 972 times)

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Tower of Babble
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:43:04 pm »

Ok dwarfs and dwarfisms, I need a 6x6 or 8x8 map that is as near flat as possible, has magma and a continuous water sources on the edges,  and preferably with sand. 

Anyone have a map that would work?  I plan on building the dwarfen version of the Tower of Babble.

Bah my foolishness, I forgot about the z-limit problem.  Does anyone have a faster than average method for mining out the entire map?

Update: I have cleared down to the “center” z layer and will start the down mining soon, currently tree removal is the goal (not a tree left on the map is the idea). Twenty six dwarves have already given their lives to this project, and many more shall follow!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:42:41 pm by hothead098 »

Terbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower of Babble
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 02:03:05 pm »

Your tower isn't going to be very tall if you build it on a flat map, Z levels only go up to 15 above the highest land in the map.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:04:45 pm »

Your tower isn't going to be very tall if you build it on a flat map, Z levels only go up to 15 above the highest land in the map.

Say, is there a way to override this?  What if I wanna build a 100-story tower?  I don't want to start worldgenning like a maniac 'till I get a sheer cliff just so I can build a tall tower.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:16:08 pm »

Dig around for that map on the forum with the two very peaky mountains on a flat plain. Not sure if it has magma, but if you're willing to hack that in...
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:42:23 pm »

this sounds like a decent megaproject, just one question.

how will you get the tantrum spiral to just produce stark raving mad dwarfs?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »

To affect the craziness of the dwarfs will have to be modded by Forman if I really want to keep them only mad.

The tower is going to be 3/6 bronze, 2/6 silver, and 1/6 gold with 4 connected (2/3 scale) towers of green glass.  After which I start sacrificing the dwarfs into the magma center column.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:00:25 pm »

iirc there was a map offered recently that had 85 z-levels total - sounds like a lot, but it was hacked to be that way.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 03:01:09 pm »

Towers are surprisingly easy to make. You can build a staircase straight up, then build floors around them, then build walls around them.

I Built TWO 17 story towers, made completely of blocks, in one year's time once. Provided, there was much hauling ass involved.

Provided, they were only 10x10 towers, but if you wanted to make them bigger, I don't see why not.

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »

I plan on building 40 by 40 with the 4 smaller towers being 20 by 20 (this could be subject to expansion); and why did no one tell me that trying to mine out an 8x8 killed FPS so badly!?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:17:21 pm »

I plan on building 40 by 40 with the 4 smaller towers being 20 by 20 (this could be subject to expansion); and why did no one tell me that trying to mine out an 8x8 killed FPS so badly!?

8x8 is a ton of land to simulate, and every stone has to be represented in your ram. Get rid of the stone and the fps will magically return (try magma).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21:50 pm »

Don't just create a giant stockpile of stone, USE the stone to build the tower as your digging it. Blocks are the most impressive so nothing less will do. I remember having something like 30-40 dwarves doing nothing but working on blocks when building my tower. It was a beautiful, oiled, tower-building machine it was. I was whipping them like I was a pharaoh and they were the slaves building a great pyramid just for me.

If you want to know, I used the top of one tower to house my favorites dwarf's bedroom and dining room, and the top of the other to house his coffin, and nothing else. It was magnificent.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 10:27:46 pm »

iirc there was a map offered recently that had 85 z-levels total - sounds like a lot, but it was hacked to be that way.

Pfft. It's easy to get taller than that just by messing around with the worldgen parameters. Hell, my current fort is in a map that's slightly over 100 z-levels, not counting the 15-level buffer at the top and bottom (and someone 'round here got over 200 once). I made a giant-ass tower, too; I want to make a few more buildings and then I'll make a thread in the stories forum about it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.