Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagon trap  (Read 623 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wagon trap
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:22:40 pm »

So, I built myself a big reservoir to drown the orc caravans in, because I want my orcs to fight me. However, I seem to be unable to build the top level. A diagram:

Code: [Select]
..OOOOOOO
..O+++++O
▲OO+A+++O
▲XX+I>++O <- Bottom Floor (containing entrance from below and a support)
▲OO+++++O
..O+++++O
..OOOOOOO

..OOOOOOO
..O.....O
▼▲O.A...O
▼▲O.I...O <- Second Floor (% is where the pump goes)
▼▲O.....O
..O.....O
..OOO%OOO

.+++++++
.+.....+
▼▲.A...+
▼▲.I...+ <- Third Floor
▼▲.....+
.+.....+
.+++++++

.+++++.
▼+A+++.
▼+++++.   Top Floor
▼+++++.
.+++++.

The capital A's are where my initial staircase for building the supports was. When I deconstructed it and tried to build a floor over it, I got a "no access to building materials" message. Why can't they use the ramp?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Wagon trap
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 02:17:05 pm »

Theres some weirdness with ramps where you need something beside on the top to get off on, for it to count. Try building a wall beside the ramp (on the level below)?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:21:41 pm »

The third -> top floor ramps don't have a supporting wall so they won't work. A ramp needs to be against a wall in the direction that the dwarves will travel the ramp.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:02:24 pm »

Theres some weirdness with ramps where you need something beside on the top to get off on, for it to count. Try building a wall beside the ramp (on the level below)?

What happens if you have a trade depot at the end of your ramps and hit D to see if it's accessible?

When I built a similar construction of ramps, I got this weird situation where if I hit D the depot said that it was wagon-accessible, but the dwarves wouldn't cross the ramps.  My miners almost died of dehydration because they wouldn't go past the ramps to get out of there.  I finally had to build a set of stairs elsewhere for them to get out, because they just wouldn't use the ramps.  When a wagon finally arrived it *did* use the ramps with no problem.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"