Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Multiple Cores, and the Wiki?  (Read 2870 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Cores, and the Wiki?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 02:01:13 am »

In theory you should be able to use reverse hyperthreading to run non-parallell code on multiple cores at once, the technology doesn't exist yet, although i believe there are a few prototypes in development or something.

Also; programming for multiple cores is annoying and complicated.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 11:33:08 am »

I wouldn't' say annoying... nor complicated really, but then again, it's part of what I do for a living.  It's just a matter of breaking down your data into manageable asynchronous chunks.  I've discussed this at length in the other threads dealing with mutlithreading and DF can most definitely benefit from it, but I'm not going to re-open that discussion here.

Reverse hyperthreading (by all names it has been called) has been a goal over at Intel for quite some time... and it's gone nowhere fast.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 12:06:27 pm »

Reverse hyperthreading sounds like it should involve tachyons and flux capacitors.  ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 12:12:44 pm »

I wouldn't' say annoying... nor complicated really, but

Look at his sig.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 12:14:28 pm »

Reverse hyperthreading sounds like it should involve tachyons and flux capacitors.  ;)
Well...
Hyper-threading is a trick used to make a single core looks like multiple core (this is why you can run firefox, anti-virus, IM, explorer etc.  at the same time).
Reverse hyper-threading want to make multiple core CPU looks like a single CPU.  The idea here is that it can potentially allow a single threaded application run on all core without the programmer knowing anything about parallel programming.
Unfortunately, there's currently no known way to do it without incurring MASSIVE performance cost.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 05:38:14 pm »

Look at his sig.
I am... I see nothing.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 08:38:18 pm »

Look at his sig.
I am... I see nothing.

It's a picture.

Link if you still can't see it

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 10:12:32 pm »

I can only speak from personal experience, but i did a multi-threaded game for my major project last semester, and i spent most of the semester sorting out problems like what happens when two threads try and use the same piece of memory\variable at the same time (a problem you never have with single threaded stuff, as it's always sequential.)

It was entertaining, but quite annoying at times.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 12:59:23 am »

I just thought that the multithreaded annoyance and your signature about changing religion because of an annoyance was funny.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 01:27:51 pm »

Look at his sig.
I am... I see nothing.

It's a picture.

Link if you still can't see it
What does that have to do with threading or am I missing some joke here?  nm, I see your other post now.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:29:23 pm by Andir »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 01:28:56 pm »

I can only speak from personal experience, but i did a multi-threaded game for my major project last semester, and i spent most of the semester sorting out problems like what happens when two threads try and use the same piece of memory\variable at the same time (a problem you never have with single threaded stuff, as it's always sequential.)

It was entertaining, but quite annoying at times.
That's where Mutexes(sp?)/Locking come in handy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »

What does that have to do with threading or am I missing some joke here?  nm, I see your other post now.

"Multithreading is an annoyance"
"Change religion after a minor annoyance"

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 04:15:39 pm »

Showing images in signatures is turned off by default.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 04:30:22 pm »

Showing images in signatures is turned off by default.

Good to know.  I know some people have them off, hence why I posted it as an [img] and a link, just to cover the bases.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 12:55:21 pm »

"Multithreading is an annoyance"
"Change religion after a minor annoyance"
It still doesn't really explain how they are similar.  I could compare many texts and pick out specific words that are the same.  It doesn't mean they are in any way related or have any specific meaning.  The only meaning I draw from that comparison is that this person is easily annoyed.  But I can't make an educated decision based solely on those two situations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3