Poll

what do we do?

Go to mountains now
- 7 (77.8%)
stay a whlie longer
- 2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Dragon quest  (Read 13703 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon quest
« Reply #285 on: September 28, 2009, 05:39:15 pm »

Make a bonfire, put wizard in bonfire, start fire with lightning.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 28, 2009, 05:43:32 pm »

Return to the library, we clearly need more information to fix this.

Also water actually barely conducts electricity at all, neither does ice. Water only seems like a good conductor because small impurities like salts make it much more conductive (the reason behind this is really confusing chemistry I don't want to get into). I would assume this ice has no impurities due to the simplicity of the spell that created it and would therefore not conduct electricity.
(not that it would matter, this ice refuses to melt)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 28, 2009, 08:41:29 pm »

no water does not conduct electricity it has to have electrolytes in it (salt being the most common) in order to be conductive there for pure ice with no contaminates will not be conductive
Back to Mafia with me!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2009, 01:10:01 am »

Yeah, but pure water still ionizes to some extent (2H20→H+ + H30-), so with a magically charged current, any water is conductive. (The part that is unclear in my memory: wont water be conductive anyway because it is polar?)

The library didn't have anything interesting last time we checked it.
> Zap off the frost on our arm and try to find another wizard. (Do we use our village as an information source? Dragons can't access rumors or common knowledge very easily. Unless of course we fly to some person's roof, camouflage, and psychically search his mind.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2009, 03:21:12 am »

(Warning: This post contains insane plans and cartoon logic/physics)

>Find a beach or any other place with good sand, move alot of sand to a place with stone floor, zap sand until it melts, wait till it cools and forms glass, take glass and shape it into a giant magnifying glass, put it under the sun and over the frozen wizard so that the sun's rays are magnified and melt the ice.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2009, 03:50:27 am »

???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:09:42 am by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 29, 2009, 04:21:34 pm »

>create magnifying glass_

you find some sand outside the wizards house and melt it into glass. you punch a hole in the roof (not much of a feat considering its previous condition) and place the magnifying glass above the wizard.

>Go back to library_

you go to the library, this time looking for information on magical phenomenon. eventually you find an article in a wizard expert on such things on demon ice, that is a very accurate description of your current predicament.

"Demon ice is a peculiar phenomenon. named after the (usually) unholy forces that create it, demon ice is a heat vortex. the demon ice sucks heat from around it, then magically teleports it to a random location. the only way to get rid of demon ice, is to find a phoenix, and ignite it upon the ice."
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2009, 05:22:34 pm »

Time to find a phoenix! How on earth do we do that?

For now keep searching the library.

(luckily when we do find the phoenix it will probably be glad to help, especially if it is old already)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2009, 05:27:16 pm »

For now keep searching the library.

what do we want to search for?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2009, 05:36:42 pm »

Probably something on teleportation disruption, or planar mechanics. That magic is using some link to transport heat elsewhere, so instead of using a phoenix to overload that link, we can use something else to destroy it directly. I am hoping our mirror has those kinds of planar powers.

Edit for clarity.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:38:17 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2009, 06:07:26 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:09:49 am by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2009, 07:15:56 pm »

there are two ways to fix him:
1. we find a phoenix
2. we alter the enchantment to move the heat the ice absorbs back into the ice, thereby negating the effect.

given the description of the spell, I think throwing him into a boiling lake would cause some random place in the world to burst into flame :o

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2009, 07:20:35 pm »

yeah. if we throw him into a boiling lake, or an inferno, then it will be put out or frozen. however, some random place in the world will spontaneously combust.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2009, 07:21:43 pm »

...that is awesome ;D

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:01 pm »

I am fairly sure the wizard is dead as well, unless his spell made an instant perfect crystal, then he will be fine if thawed correctly. However, this gives us something to do, both increasing our skill at magic working and sleuthing. He might also have goodies on his corpse.
 Anyway, if we broke the part of the spell that transports the heat, we would then be able to thaw the ice like normal ice. I also want to experiment with that mirror.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23