Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Thread where we all complain about dwarves runing to  (Read 2113 times)

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Thread where we all complain about dwarves runing to
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »

I sick of my Dwaves running to there deaths, I WANT THEM TO RUN AWAY FROM THE MENACING GOBLIN HOARD, NOT TOWARD IT!!  Sorry for being a little bit extreme but please tell me this will be fixed in the next release.
Re: The Thread where we all complain about dwarves runing to
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

Kind of, you can designate no-traffic areas.  ;)

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

Can we also complain about them ruining an entire goblin-defense system by deciding to get a drink of water, dropping a rock or bed or a damn butterfly corpse into a doorway?

Because I find that more annoying than the running to get a XXnarrow  leather capXX.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

Heh, if everything that players wanted to be added in the next release were, we'd be waiting years for it.   :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, traffic designations. Those will be very nice.

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

Toady, would it be easy to have all your dwaves drop everything and just run to a point you designate when there is a siege?  This would solve the problem quite nicely.  

EDIT: A room called the "keep" where all the dwarves go to would be even cooler, the dwarves could all run to it and then lock themselves in.

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: Arnos ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

Dwarven Panic Room Check List:

Rum:

• Booze:

• Beer:

• ...End of list.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 10:40:00 pm »

A while ago I suggested allowing 'alarms' that can be triggered by traps or levers to call over either all nearby military dwarves, all nearby non-military dwarves, or both; or to force either or both to stay away.  Those could be useful for something like this.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 01:51:00 am »

Like in Dungeon Keeper 2?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:55:00 am »

While some more devices for dwarven hauling-mob management will be nice, and we've reason to believe they are in the works, most problems can be mitigated this version with good gameplay.  For instance, a drawbridge makes a better gate than a pair of doors, won't ever get held open on refuse and will effortlessly crush any foolish cat boldly trying to "prop" it open.  For instance you can already station all your civs into a Keep:  Activate into a giant squad and station them, you did build the Keep, right?  Even without a keep, being drafted will at least keep them from hauling stuff and cleaning traps.

One of my favorite aspects of DF is using good design to prevent whatever it was that got me last game.  Blame yourself for relying on a double door to keep out goblins, don't blame your dwarves.  They're just following orders.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »

s|Magnvox is mostly right. (Mostly because some frustrations should never be encountered, but largely they can be avoided with planning.) More importantly, there's a DK2!? Goodbye sun!

Edit: *sigh* DK2 is the one I played, and thought it was DK 1 for some reason. I don't feel as motivated to play the original, unless somebody tells me it was infact substantially better.

[ June 12, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »

I don't want to individually draft my 120 dwarves, I shouldn't even have to think about telling my dwarves not to run towards goblins who are eager to fill them with so many arrows they look like porcupines.  The dwarves should just think, oh a siege I'll just stay inside, and if they see to many goblins they should head for the keep.  What they should not do is think, A siege, i'll just run outside to get a shoe, never mind the 3 squads of goblins waiting to fill me with arrows.  My point is that while it may be possible to stop my dwarves from running to their deaths I shouldn't have to actively work to stop my dwarves from running to certain death.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

Arnos, you're correct, but you're playing an in-development game. Goblins, for their part, should not politely wait at 1 locked door till you're good and ready. I recently had some idiot take his break on a bridge during a flood. He only decided to break there after the flood was starting but before it hit that area. (I locked him in and hoped he died, no luck, but the piece of ore he dropped -the only reason to care about him being there, was gone.)

Point is that you can find A LOT of retarded behavior. It's frustrating, yes. But unless you're asking a Question, reporting something new, telling a funny story, who the hell cares? I'm sure Toady is aware, we all hope these things'll get fixed, the game isn't anywhere near close to done (evident by the current total re-haul), and it's free. (Although you, and I, really should donate if\when we can.)

The point is, just bitching isn't constructive, and in this case, it being free and problems being known, you don't have a leg to stand on. If I could, I'd take back the money I spent on Medieval 2 and give it to Toady. Then I'd pirate M2 just for the sake of pissing on CA and Sega for their false hype, since the AI of the two games are roughly equal to me. (Sorry if that insults you, Toady)

Err...sorry this is getting a bit unnecessary. The moral of that was supposed to be that for a 1 man dev-team and unfinished game, this is already a commendable effort that exceeds most commercial products. There's no point in bitching malignantly about these things. Do what you can to avoid them for now, and wait till they get addressed.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arnos:
<STRONG>I don't want to individually draft my 120 dwarves ..</STRONG>

Use the promote command on the military screen.

Try playing the game before clamoring it is broken.  Everything you cite as a problem can be overcome.  In many different and intuitive ways.  Or at least vaguely intuitive, heh.

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »

Perhaps your right, I didn't really mean to complain so much, it's just that I was looking at all the corpses of my dwarves and became rather annoyed, I forgot to emphasize how good this game is otherwise.  I just meant to try to emphasize the problem so that hopefully it would get fixed in the next release.  It seams I overdid it.  Sorry.

[ June 12, 2007: Message edited by: Arnos ]

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

Gee, now I feel bad if I came down too hard.   :(

I can understand your frustration, I just keep reciting the "losing is fun" to myself like a mantra whenever I get really PO'ed about something like that. -Or I go completely bonkers, delete the entire world, and don't play for some time...but then I'm ussually to fumed to bother posting about it, and I'd regret it were I not even more psyched about my new and improved next fortress. (I swear I must've made about 20 now, and only 1 has gone past year 10.)

Anyways, it's all cool in the end.

Pages: [1] 2