Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A Certain Magical Concept  (Read 5596 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Certain Magical Concept
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 12:19:17 pm »

Since even fortress mode isn't going to be bound to a single place in the future, I don't think the wizard will either.

Yes but there is a fundemental difference between a powerful magical adventurer in adventurer mode and a Wizard in Wizard mode.

A wizard doesn't just abandon his tower and explore the world. It is a fundemental aspect and likely a key to the Wizard's power.

Little Pandemonium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 12:20:32 pm »

Hm, how about this

Sorcerer: They are the entity of magic itself. Not just one of those guys that backs up the team and shoots fireballs, but run something more like a dwarven outpost and construct your own multilevel tower or other such dwelling. This could include adventure style elements where your wizard is engaged in various activities, as well as larger scale army battles and so on. Randomized creatures could also be introduced as you create your minions, and they should be able to breed and expand outward, perhaps becoming a playable race in either adventure or civilization modes.

Basically, this means that the wizard or magic wielders is not a dwarf but a new entity, a unique race
Now I have a mental image of romans calling eachother homo on a daily basis.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 12:52:24 pm »

Its likely all races (well, maybe not kobolds) will have wizards, since there are bloats about letting you control different races, IE build your own goblin keep/elven retreat/human city/kobold cave, etc. Though that will only happen after DF 1.0 is out, so yea, probably not any time soon.
So yea, wizards aren't a new race, but come from the already existing races, they're just so powerful that they're considered a different entity entirely.

The placeholder wizards are sort of a different race altogheder though, well, they're actualy creatures, but thats just an easter egg put there to make wizards appear in engravings from time to time, they don't even spawn in-game unless you do some minor modding, which will cause them to show in legends mode since they can actualy shoot fireballs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:58:12 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 01:10:03 pm »

Since even fortress mode isn't going to be bound to a single place in the future, I don't think the wizard will either.

Yes but there is a fundemental difference between a powerful magical adventurer in adventurer mode and a Wizard in Wizard mode.

A wizard doesn't just abandon his tower and explore the world. It is a fundemental aspect and likely a key to the Wizard's power.

I think Tolkien's wizards are the touchstone here.  Human but not really human, powerful, but not really in a tangible way.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 01:23:59 pm »

I meant to type out a short thought on that whatever magic ends up being, it needs to be rules based.  There  has to be an understanding of why magic works the way it does, or at least allow the freedom to use the rules to do something different.  But I ended up writing more of a rant on existing systems and their basic rules.

Little Pandemonium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 01:28:10 pm »

Well, it has been covered in the embodiment of spell segment concept though [invoke]
Or perhaps there's something I miss?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 01:31:57 pm »

Well, it has been covered in the embodiment of spell segment concept though [invoke]
Or perhaps there's something I miss?

Well you do need something below Spell.

Being Innate and Channel

Innate is natural magic while channel is magic performed through concentration and natural movements.

In otherwords Channel adds onto a mundane skill while Innate is simple magical powers evoked naturally through a creature (A Unicorn doesn't need to cast spells to purify water) that doesn't rely on skill to happen.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:37:20 pm by Neonivek »

Little Pandemonium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »

Hmm, channel seems so similar to ritual because the attributes of waiting or concentrating when compared to prayer or dance or hand movement (they don't affect the magic itself, they only act as a preparation of the magic)

While innate like unicorn seems so similar to spell, as they can cast magic with little restrictions

I still need opinions in the matter

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 01:48:26 pm »

Channel's difference with ritual is that it is just doing the action and pulling magic through it rather then doing anything extra. It is punching someone and pushing magic through the fist, it isn't chanting magic words, doing a dance, then punching someone. It is raw magic channeled through the body.

(which yes it is a ritual but if we apply it to that then they are all rituals and the distinction is pointless)

Innate's difference to Spell is that it is innate. As your description said "it is a skill similar to blaw". It is like a Dragon's breath if done by magic, certainly it could be enhanced by a skill but it isn't required for its execution.

Little Pandemonium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 02:02:49 pm »

I see
Based on my understanding it looks like this
Spell - Cast predefined magic
Channel - Cast magic that are being stored in the caster body
Innate - Magic that are being used as a common action by the caster like dragon fire breath is equal to dwarf taking a breath
Ritual - Cast predefine or redefined magic with actions and preparations required
Invoke - Create or combine magic with some law then cast it

I'm still a little bit confused though

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 02:07:23 pm »

I think Tolkien's wizards are the touchstone here.  Human but not really human, powerful, but not really in a tangible way.

I was thinking about spheres. Wizards could harness magic from the environment in some way, so maybe suddenly a wizard would go Oh my Armok! I suck at fire magic, i should really go to that fire forest with the fire elk and firey stuff to advance my studies! or something like that. Which brings up an interesting subject: Wizards could affect spheres, or even be the cause of them.
Its not difficult to imagine an evil area which has become evil due to some necromancer's experiments there back then in year 102 when Urist Uristurist was engraving his first cheese.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Little Pandemonium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:13:56 pm »

Are you taling about the magic sources?

Perhaps what you mean has been covered in The Source of Mana Segments : Natural Animism

Hmm, the necromancer stuff might fit in the Magical Environment segments
Perhaps it will be some kind of a heritage
Certain magic will exist and still give the effect of it properties to the surroundings

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 02:22:08 pm »

Dakk:  Well students of magic, or magic users, sure, that sounds cool.

Wizards are more like the embodyment of a sphere and it's powers.

Edit:
Actually, that's badass.... maybe not for DF, but still:  Gods/Wizards/Whatever not as embodyments of spheres, but as sources.  The world is as it is because these beings exist.  People die because DEATH exists.  If death were to leave the universe, death would no longer be.

The world is the way it is because of the interplay of these forces.  Without NATURE, there'd still be PLANTS and ANIMALS and whatnot, but they'd be missing that cohesive whole that bound them into a single whole.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:25:43 pm by Granite26 »

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »

Perhaps some varieties of wizard (Read: Those who use magical spheres that are based on an Alignment [Good, Evil], a form of change [Decay, Corruption, Life, Death], or other, similar factors) should gradually change the land surrounding their Tower/Demesne/Territory.
For example, Urist McGodlyWizz, a master wizard tied to the Spheres of Wealth, Change, and Greed, might gradually change the stone below his tower to be filled with valuable minerals simply with his presence. Perhaps due to the influence of the Greed Sphere, though, he becomes increasingly paranoid, to the point where he assumes any random person who he doesn't control directly to be an enemy.
Meanwhile, deep in the middle of a twisted, evil swamp, there might be a small patch of solid ground and life created by the influence of an elven hermit who was once a great wizard who focused on Life and Earth Spheres.

Perhaps wizards could retire (like the above hermit) and, maybe, could be persuaded to come out of retirement by an adventurer.

In the above example, such a persuasive adventurer might indirectly lead to the obliteration of the swamp altogether and, if people then moved in to aid the recently-unretired wizard, a whole new civilization could form eventually.

A powerful necromancer who dedicates himself to evil and death might cause the opposite; trees becoming dead looking and, in extreme cases, gaining a malevolent sort of sentience, the dead- buried or otherwise- rising to serve him, and a general feeling of pure terror and dread.

Of course, depending on the wizard, they might choose to intentionally avoiding such things, either to keep a lower profile (Nothing says 'Oh look a pyromancer' like a huge swath of land that's partially turned to lava and is dotted by volcanoes.) or simply out of some desire for the area to remain as it is. Or something.

As for the alignments I brought up, there will most likely still be spheres related to them- areas that encourage malice or benevolence in their inhabitants, gods who demand such behavior from their followers, wizards who... well, you get the idea, right?
Maybe a somewhat kinder necromancer than the above example might instead decide to move into a town (with their permission- no matter what way you cut it, skeletal laborers and guards would put many people off the idea of letting him in.) and raise their dead as guardians to defend them.

Just my two copper coins...
Well, one copper coin. I have far too many conflicting ideas. :-X
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 08:56:17 pm »

The magical system I would prefer would be rule based, but with few restrictions.
Adventure mode characters would wield the same power as in wizard mode, the difference being that adventures don't really know what they are doing, so they use spell sort of like mnemonics. Wizards have studied the working of magic for centuries and understand it perfectly, they do not need the handicap of spells.

It's essentially the same as the difference between speaking a language fluently and using a dictionary to translate- same tools, vastly differentlevels of control.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4