Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Point of anything?  (Read 2896 times)

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Point of anything?
« on: September 16, 2009, 09:39:06 pm »

Just been really bored for the past year. I never really do anything, but sit in my room. Whats the point of anything really.. everything is just boring in my life and im sick of it. School sucks I hate it enough to blow it up  :o and freshman year I fudged my grades and I have a lot of credits to make up. This year I find myself getting home from school just to screw around doing nothing in my room for hours, and doing whatever homework I feel like doing at like 10pm.. life sucks
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Point of anything?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:24:20 pm »

Methinks you're looking for sympathy. Stop moping and get a job.

And no, I'm not being an asshole (well, maybe a little). If you think yourself that much beyond hope, then just get a damned job and take your mind off of it.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:41:21 pm »

Yeah, I hate to say it but someone has to. If your biggest complaints are "school sucks" and "I'm bored", your life is sunshine and roses compared to 99% of the world.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 11:11:34 pm »

Ok so you don't like school and your grades are fudged.

Maybe the academic world isn't for you. Maybe an apprentice ship of type? Have you considered welding as a job. Good welders are always in need.

The other thing is consider is what you want to do in life? Where do you want to be? Set a goal and work towards it, just don't go and be a student because that's the thing that you are meant to do.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:19:54 am »

Yeah, I hate to say it but someone has to. If your biggest complaints are "school sucks" and "I'm bored", your life is sunshine and roses compared to 99% of the world.

I'll go a step further.

You can post things on an forum. That implies you own a computer or have the money to go to internet cafes.

Compare that to the literally millions of people starving to death right now, and you technically don't even have problems.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:23:47 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:41:08 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 12:25:40 am »

I'm from the Philippines.

There are poor children all over the streets, begging for money.

Perspective is one of the most important things you can ever have.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 12:36:50 am »

And, unfortunately, it's impossible for him to truly have it unless he experiences such poverty or misfortune himself, which sounds unlikely.

Still, all you can really do is grin and bear it. Try doing your homework earlier, and studying, if you really want to improve your grades. If an academic life ain't for you, try to learn a useful skill. Heck, even a non-useful one. I imagine sitting around doing nothing wouldn't be very constructive, or interesting, so go do something - anything - that is. Apathy is the enemy.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 12:45:53 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:41:03 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 12:54:50 am »

Before I begin, yes, I know what you're getting at Vector. I quite like to throw around the phrase "you can't quantify suffering." But still...

think that only starving people have rotten and difficult lives, and that we should all adhere to this viewpoint where if we're not starving, we're supposed to just grin and bear it?

No, just because someone isn't starving in the streets doesn't mean they have a great life. If he was complaining about how he had to work a full time job to make rent while supporting his illegitimate child and a meth addicted girlfriend while going to school, I would have taken his "life sucks" a little more seriously. But his complaint was school sucks and I'm bored. Most people would consider an education and abundant free time a blessing. This looks like textbook teen angst.

EDIT : Awww, I wrote that all out before your apologetic edit and now I feel like a bit of a dick.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:24:40 am by kinseti »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:13:29 am »

Personally I've always found the "There are people MUCH WORSE OFF OUT THERE" argument turdish. Hungry children don't make other people's problems better, or make them less stressed

Throwing children into volcanos, however....
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:20 am »

The point, the whole point, and nothing but the point:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 02:50:14 am »

Methinks you're looking for sympathy. Stop moping and get a job.

And no, I'm not being an asshole (well, maybe a little). If you think yourself that much beyond hope, then just get a damned job and take your mind off of it.

QFT. Being bored is something you can change. Get involved in stuff at your school, your community, search the internet or a library or something to find something that interests you, try it, start something yourself, whatever. We have the ability to do so much and our situation is extremely lucky when compared to many, many people throughout the world, especially when your only problems seem to be 'I do nothing and my grades are bad'. Of course, your situation could be terrible and the starving of children won't make it better, but I don't really think your life is that bad if all you're doing is complaining about how you're bored and doing badly at school. Your situation is something you yourself can change, so don't ask us for help, do it yourself!

tl;dr existential (and just general) angst is overrated for someone in your situation. You are no different from millions of other teens that feel the same way. Stop moping and go be proactive.

Also, sorry if this sounds direct and harsh, but I feel it's the only way.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:27:34 am by Jackrabbit »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 08:06:52 am »

take up smoking cigars, drinking Earl Grey and cognac. Oh, and wine and real ales.
You'll have more to talk about.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 08:09:18 am »

You'll slur when talking about it, but it'll make for interesting conversation.
Pages: [1] 2