Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Homes for Adventurers  (Read 2875 times)

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Homes for Adventurers
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:04:17 pm »

I've been thinking about making homes for my adventurers in Fortress mode. The possibilities are endless, from small houses, to manors and mansions, to massive castles. Primarily, I want to know if dumping your stuff in an abandoned fortress will cause it to disappear, or if it will still be there when you return.

Share ideas.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homes for Adventurers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:52:08 pm »

I've been thinking about making homes for my adventurers in Fortress mode. The possibilities are endless, from small houses, to manors and mansions, to massive castles. Primarily, I want to know if dumping your stuff in an abandoned fortress will cause it to disappear, or if it will still be there when you return.

Share ideas.
itll be there but scattered around, and some monsters will inhabit it. If you kill the monsters, pile the stuff, and raise the drawbridge to the outside world[wich youll obviously be needing so no monsters can go boo in the night.] you should be good. I've had this thought as well.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:45 am »

Welcome to Urist-town retirement homes. Our friendly, cat-based staff will cater to your every whim while you relax in this heavily forested biome. You can take a quick dip in our magma heated spas. Keep your skills, and you blade sharp in our monitored arena, complete with video playback, so you can see yourself own. For dwarfs who still like a challenge, enter the HFS for fun and excitement. Afterwards, visit the bar and lounge for a few beers, or maybe even flaming booze.

Urist-town retirement homes. You maybe old, but you can still live life to it's fullest.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:24:14 am »

I-... I think I have a new megaproject.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 06:51:43 am »

I-... I think I have a new megaproject.
A town for adventurers?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 06:55:46 am »

A mansion for adventurers.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:06:14 pm »

A mansion for adventurers.
Complete with a fun underground sidequest with traps and magma.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:50:01 pm »

You could trap hundreds of goblins, chain them up to individual levers, and use them as practice in an arena.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 11:56:30 pm »

I take it you would still need to Retire in a town to avoid starvation, though?

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 01:23:52 am »

You could build the homes next/under a town.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 05:26:31 am »

That's a fantastic idea. And you'll have the most kickass house in the town, too.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 12:30:20 pm »

I thought chained and caged creatures died on abandon.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 01:02:00 pm »

No, they are released.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:49:42 am »

I have attempted this b4:
To make sure items stay in one place you must weigh them down with heavy goods.
I noticed armor and weapon racks don't move at all, so their contents remain intact.
Pressure plates don't work but levers do.
Corpses Trophies rot away if they are not stored in a container -which even when (B)uilt in fort mode still move around with weight as a factor.
Adventurers can't retire there, so you can't have more than one hanging around at a time.
When building, make sure you make the site as small as possible as when in adventure mode digging around a 6x6 site for a house that takes up 1x1 is very frustrating.
Make sure it is near a human town so commodities can be easily bought and sold, especially if you Play Now to appear at your recently abandoned house -naked.
Which also comes to the point of making sure you have a change of clothes in one of those chests or you may have to find one of your old settler's milling around and pull a terminator.

EDIT: I only just realized how many times i said "make sure", i should prolly make sure not to say "make sure" as often.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:51:58 am by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 06:47:13 am »

I'd say storing everything that is needed in one large stockpile of lead bins should be enough to prevent stuff scattering around.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: [1] 2