Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Wizard Duel: Duel 5 - Game over! All Hail JanusTwoFace  (Read 37000 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel: Duel 1 - Set-Up phase
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »

k but when will you post the duel?

Kashyyk is still unreported about who he is or is not supporting. So we're basically waiting on him.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »

Sorry I was away, I was shotting people with BB guns.

I Use Fire Attack on ExKerby. Just to give him more of a chance, you know.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2009, 04:35:57 pm »

Short version:
- I don't think that not assisting either side is scummy.
- FoS Pandarsenic for possibly taking advantage of SniHjen's choice.
- FoS Kashyyk for helping ExKirby.

Spoiler: Long version (click to show/hide)

I still haven't seen anything that convinces me that either side is scum, so I will continue to abstain.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:58 pm »

On the other hand, if we're not sure, we're likely to get far more information with less helpers.  (Depending on how Meph actually goes about describing the duals).

That's a good point. Frelock mentioned something similar, and I wish I had thought of it. If there are less helpers, then the combatants have to stand on their own. Whoever wins may have had a slight advantage in combat, and that might give us some clues about where to look for the Cabal.

On the other hand, there are lots of battle roles, so a slight edge might have nothing to do with being Cabal. Combat is random, so depending on how Mephansteras describes it, we may not get that much information out of it anyway, since one wizard's win might just have been dumb luck.

For the third, staying alive means staying out of fights.  Like I've said, when I'm more sure that one of the contestants is scum, I'll do my part to help.  But right now, I think that we most likely just shoved two overeager but completely innocent mages into the ring.  So I'll let them fight it out and go from there.

I'm a little confused about your reasoning in this aspect. What impact does your third goal have in your decision to abstain? Are you trying to avoid being picked for future duels by abstaining from supporting either wizard, or what?

As I said, abstaining makes people (namely me) wonder what exactly you're doing. So I'm just following up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2009, 08:48:34 pm »

Frelock inscribes Navy Blue runes of water in the air above webadict to give him additional Healing
Jetsquirrel inscribes Green runes of Earth in the air above webadict to give him a Defense Boost
Jim Groovester inscribes Green runes of Fire in the air above webadict to give him an Attack Boost
Kashyyk inscribes Mauve runes of Fire in the air above ExKirby to give him an Attack Boost
Leafsnail inscribes Turquoise runes of Fire in the air above webadict to give him an Attack Boost
Org inscribes Cobalt runes of Earth in the air above webadict to give him a Defense Boost
Pandarsenic inscribes Pink runes of Fire in the air above webadict to give him a Speed Boost
SniHjen inscribes Void Black runes of Earth in the air above ExKirby to give him a Defense Boost

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »

SniHjen inscribes Void Black runes of Earth in the air above ExKirby to give him a Defense Boost

Void Black? You've got to be kidding me. That's a pretty dark choice for a color.

Anyways, some midnight thoughts.

I don't think wizards should be non-committal when it comes to assisting. If you can't figure out who to assist based on our primary goal to find the Cabal, then assist somebody based on your secondary goal to win the tournament. At the very least, assist a wizard so that he gets rid of the person you think is a more powerful foe.

Additionally, being non-committal makes you look like you're trying to stay above the fray, like you don't want to get your hands dirty in an unintentional incapacitation of a Tower wizard. There's WIFOM potential in this. While it doesn't necessarily mean you're Cabal, it certainly makes people wonder what you're doing and it draws attention to yourself.

Picking who's going to fight in Duel 2 is going to be a pain, what with all this WIFOM we already have going on.
I'm finally here. Here's what I have to say:

The problem with only going after your secondary goal?

You can't do it without removing the scum. The scum have the ability to remove you from the duels. Therefore, you have to worry about scum, unless you think there's a reason not to, in which case you're probably scum.

While this game is cleverly disguised as mafia, it is not mafia, because this is a game is a combination of several factors: Mafia, Luck, and Skill.

See, it's mafia in that there's a certain number of ne'er-do-wells. It's about luck because the mafia has a significantly higher chance to win (They have increased stats, teamwork, and... well secrecy), the use of power roles and boosts, and the "lynch" cannot be determined immediately. And the last bit, skill, is slightly different from anything else because you have to use logic to deduce how you can win and with what through previous battles.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2009, 01:40:33 am »

*gets wand* Let's rumble!
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2009, 01:49:01 am »

What kind of a two-bit wizard are you? Using a wand. Be a man, get yerself a scarf!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2009, 10:20:03 am »

What kind of a two-bit wizard are you? Using a wand. Be a man, get yerself a scarf!

You mean Staff, right?

also Janus:

I understand your three points and agree that those could all be options. But you have missed the fourth; that I believe it is incredibly one sided towards Webadict and as most people believed that he was an Archmage or something similar It looks like a one horse race.

I might have missed somewhere the reasoning for everyone helping Webadict, but until you point it out to me I believe that the Town is basically lynching ExKirby.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2009, 10:27:11 am »

Ok, I have all the actions now so I'll post the duel once I have a chance to do the write-ups.

Set-Up is now closed
. Unlike normal mafias, I'm going to leave the topic unlocked so people can continue to talk. You're all standing around waiting for the officials to start the match at this point, so there isn't any reason for you to stop talking necessarily.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2009, 10:41:09 am »

I might have missed somewhere the reasoning for everyone helping Webadict

I called it, and it is exactly why I chose to support Exkirby.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2009, 10:56:49 am »

So does this count as a bandwagon on ExKirby or an anti-bandwagon on webadict?
In either case it is somewhat suspicious.

You mean Staff, right?

also Janus:

I understand your three points and agree that those could all be options. But you have missed the fourth; that I believe it is incredibly one sided towards Webadict and as most people believed that he was an Archmage or something similar It looks like a one horse race.

I might have missed somewhere the reasoning for everyone helping Webadict, but until you point it out to me I believe that the Town is basically lynching ExKirby.

If most people believed that he is an Archmage, then why would they assist him?  It's not like an Archmage would actually need it with +5 to every stat.

Also, whoever Neruz is, hi.  You managed to completely confuse me. ;D
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2009, 11:10:35 am »

I believe it is more of a Bandwagon against ExKirby, although there may be those who are aiding WEbadict for other (scummy) reasons.
And yes, I agree it is suspicious that everyone dogpiled to help webadict.

So my question to you and everyone else who helped webadict is: Why did you help him? Why not ExKirby? Or do you all already believe that Exkirby is Scum. If so, show me the evidence.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2009, 11:36:22 am »

If your reasoning involves my misvote for Org, that wasn't entirely my fault.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2009, 01:34:12 pm »

I need replacement, internets all weird.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26