Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Wizard Duel: Duel 5 - Game over! All Hail JanusTwoFace  (Read 37019 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel: Day 1 has started
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2009, 03:34:42 pm »

Wouldn't it be better to force scum to fight?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2009, 03:38:07 pm »

Sorry, I have been somewhat banned from computers. I can post, but not as much and only if its for "homework". :I

I  havent really had the chance to do anything.

Do I need to get a replacement for you, Org?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »

That is a point.

The Scum will probably be sitting back and letting the Tower aligned Mages fight each other. Now, to trawl through the posts and see who has not voted for themselves.

However this is going to end up in a WIFOM now.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 03:45:29 pm »

Analysis and questions so far:

Org hasn't posted anything useful yet.  I know some others haven't either, but Org is often vague and unhelpful in these games.  If he doesn't do something useful today, one of my votes will go to him.

Webadict has made a fairly odd post.  While he advocates throwing two scum into the arena, he also seems to suggest that he himself is ready to fight.
I disagree. Though your method is valid, I would prefer to have Kashyyk, Org, or... I dunno. Maybe someone else. If you're going to have one lurker, you might as well choose Kashyyk.

However, what you should really try to do is get two Cabal Mages to fight each other. That way, they kill themselves. The tough part though is then either someone has to incapacitate the remaining member, or duel them and win.
This part seems to make sense.  He seems to be implying that lurkers should go, due to their low worth even if they are sided with the tower, and that scum should fight other scum.  His next line, however:
I'll go with that. Webadict. Bring it on!
Is rather strange.  He seems to want to fight, which would, on the face of it, imply that he has a fighting power role (most likely a Warrior Mage or an Arch Mage, as most of the others have fairly modest bonuses) and wants to be used as an "Executioner".  However, this could be WIFOM.  There are other possibilities -
Webadict is a normal wizard, and is hoping that the Tower will throw their support behind him.  This means that the other member of the scum team can be found more easily.
Webadict is actually part of the scum team, and wants the town to use him as an executioner, before turning on them when it is too late.  While I'm aware that webadict dislikes the bussing strategy, it's still a possibility.
Webadict is both a cabal wizard and has a battle role.  If this is the case, he could be used as an executioner, and then wouldn't be noticed as scum until it was too late.

Anyway, while I feel that he's more likely to be town, we have to consider these things.

Frelock has made a post which others seem to think doesn't make sense.
What would really be useful is if we were to get down to 2 dark mages left, and then make them duel each other.  That way, there would be no night kill, and thus we would know who the last dark mage is.
I, however, see what he means.  If all members of the cabal are in the ring there will be no nightkill, as they're all busy dualling.  However, I'm not sure why this is relevant yet.  His second post clears it up a bit, and I see his reasoning for letting those who want to fight fight, but I feel that normal mafia tactics should apply too.

SniHjen seems to be attempting a similar ploy to webadict, and most of what I said about webadict applies to him too.  However, he seems to have a specific target in mind, Pandarsenic.

ExKirby is also doing a similar thing, but with Org in mind.  Again, same reasoning applies.  Perhaps they are hoping that the town will help them out if they go to the ring willingly - anyway, we'll need to be careful of people voting themselves, especially if it seems people were already voting against them.  It's almost like bussing yourself.

Argh, Kashyyk also seems to want a fight.  This is getting unmanagable.  We can't possibly have 4 Arch Mages and Warrior Mages on our side, can we?  If we have, the scum team is going to be pretty damn powerful.

JanusTwoface has also not contributed much yet.  Therefore my second vote goes to him - I can't analyse a silent person.  However, I will be willing to remove it when he explains himself.

In conclusion - we need to beware those offering themselves for fights.  It could be WIFOM, it could be a battle Cabal PR and it could be that we just end up throwing two willing townies against each other.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2009, 03:49:47 pm »

I understand what Frelock's post is saying, but I still think we could use a rule clarification for whether it actually is the case.

MOD: Can wizards in the deul perform their side actions?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2009, 03:52:34 pm »

I understand what Frelock's post is saying, but I still think we could use a rule clarification for whether it actually is the case.

MOD: Can wizards in the deul perform their side actions?

No, a wizard in the Duel cannot use any side actions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2009, 04:01:44 pm »

Ah, okay. Then we should try to keep the Cabal in the duels as much as possible, to block their roles, and all the tower wizards with side action roles out of the duels as much as possible, so we can benefit from them. I guess tower wizards with battle roles can throw themselves in the ring as much as possible, but I think our priority should be to keep the Cabal in there.

I'll wait for the people who've voted for themselves to explain why they want to be in the ring.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2009, 04:03:34 pm »

I have no side role. That is why.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:14 pm »

I'm actually surprised that voting for yourself is the exception, not the rule, I kind of surmised, before gamestart, that we would see everyone voting for themselves from the get go.

worst case scenario: I vote a cabal and the grey mage into the ring, and the grey mage loses...

I know my own alignment, I know my own power, so that way, I'm back to just looking for scum and voting for them.

I'll wait for the people who havn't voted for themselves to explain why they don't want to be in the ring.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »

I'd rather see two Cabal members beat each other down (and wear down the survivor) than jump in myself.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2009, 05:08:07 pm »

Short version:
- Voting for yourself seems silly unless you have a combat-oriented role.  The cabal are more powerful than we are even without their roles.
- The secondary goal is to be the last mage standing.  Staying out of fights seems to be a good way to do this.
- I think the cabal are likely to just sit back but less likely to vote for themselves.
- Unvote Jetsquirrel, vote Kashyyk

Spoiler: The long version (click to show/hide)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2009, 05:10:19 pm »

Okay, I lied, Kashyyk has voted, I found that now.  But the rest of my reasoning still stands, so I'll keep my vote on him for the time being.

(I definitely have four tabs open for this mafia alone... craziness)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »

I'll wait for the people who havn't voted for themselves to explain why they don't want to be in the ring.

I guess this is partially aimed at me then, huh?

I haven't voted for myself because I'd rather have the Cabal fight each other. There are several good reasons to want this: 1) it would be their worst nightmare to fight each other and go against all their goals, 2) it blocks all of their roles, 3) since they are slightly more powerful, it would be a good idea to get rid of them in order to win the tournament.

Further, the Cabal would be more than willing to vote for the people who vote for themselves, since it provides an extremely safe vote. Thus, we don't gain any information about who the Cabal is if people vote for themselves.

Also, I just see it as a bad move if you want to win the tournament. The more duels you fight, given the random nature of the combat, the more likely you'll be eliminated.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »

The Glowing Tally Board
ExKirby: ExKirby, Frelock, Jetsquirrel, Jim Groovester
Frelock: Pandarsenic
JanusTwoface: Leafsnail
Kashyyk: JanusTwoface, Kashyyk, webadict
Org: ExKirby, JanusTwoface, Leafsnail
Pandarsenic: SniHjen
SniHjen: SniHjen
webadict: Frelock, Jetsquirrel, Jim Groovester, Kashyyk, Pandarsenic, webadict

Still waiting on votes from Org and Mr.Person.
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:13 pm »

I have been reading back, and I do find Exkirby kinda suspicious.

Exkirby

The reason being, although I was lurking, he seems to be ready for a fight. now, I may not be right, but this could mean he has mafia buddies ready to back him up in a duel. The only bad point is that this is almost a OMGUS. But I am serious! It does seem kind of suspicious!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26