Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Telltale Games, and why piracy exists  (Read 9216 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Telltale Games, and why piracy exists
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2009, 03:24:25 am »

I hate it when threads like this degrade into arguments about semantics and ad hominem attacks.  You guys sound like frigging politicians!

DF players running a country?

"See the Britannica! It's Aluminium!"

"But I know it's Aluminum!"

Later,

"OFF WITH THEIR HEAD! MAGMA-BLAST!"

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2009, 03:29:42 am »

Which is what just happened.  So your statement about how "everyone always ignores the word 'probably'." is completely pointless.

I stated that getting Steam to work on Linux would probably require fiddling with the Steam code, and that doing so would be illegal and thus have no place on the Valve forums. You then responded that i claimed that using Steam on Linux is 'wrong' (i assume you meant illegal) because it does not require fiddling with the code, when i made no such claim.

No I didn't.  The first post I made in this thread was asking you about the post you made about "probably" "always" being ignored by "everyone".

My apologies then; it's hard to tell who is who without avatars. My point stands however.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2009, 08:35:18 pm »

It's not hard for your lazy pirate to crack a game though, as since few if any crackers can make money selling cracks they make them fairly easy to access (note, I won't tell you how to find them, figure it out yourself).

That's what I mean by lazy. Some people can't figure it out by themselves and don't want to. Hence, they buy.

I doubt buying will ever be competitive with piracy, if only because one would usually prefer to buy something for free than buy something for money. I'm not aiming for competitiveness, just limiting the effects of piracy.

I think most people buy because of some level of guilt (I know I do). I buy games because I support the industry. If I want to play a game but not pay, I look for freeware games. It's not like there aren't tens of thousands of freeware and shareware games available through a simple search on google.

My argument is that since pirates can always crack any amount of security on a game, and are very motivated to do so, any amount of protection beyond what will stop a lazy person is superfluous at best. Rather than penalize the people who actually payed for the game via debilitating DRM and other ridiculous restraints, they should remove these so people aren't pushed into piracy to keep the game marginally playable.

If your pay analogy was 100% accurate, the rise of piracy would have immediately destroyed the gaming industry, but the gaming industry is growing. People will, in my experience, buy a game if they have the option. When you put restrictions on the game (such as the ones detailed in the OP), you rig the system in favor of piracy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2009, 08:41:59 pm »

Whatever happened to cartridges? Aren't those unpirateable?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2009, 09:09:25 pm »

Nope. I have about a dozen gba games on my pc (I legally own the cartridges, but my gba's battery is screwy and randomly resets). All you need is a way to get the read-only memory out of the cartridge.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2009, 09:47:12 pm »

Nope. I have about a dozen gba games on my pc (I legally own the cartridges, but my gba's battery is screwy and randomly resets). All you need is a way to get the read-only memory out of the cartridge.

I've got about half of my Supernes games on my laptop. Still looking for a cheap USB controller though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]