Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Telltale Games, and why piracy exists  (Read 9227 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Telltale Games, and why piracy exists
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:02:54 pm »

Let's make a few things clear.  I like adventure games.  Wasn't very good at them back in the day, but now that I've gone back to re-attempt my childhood I find them very entertaining.  That's why I support the ethos of Telltale Games - bringin' point'n'click adventure into the 21st century.  I loved the Sam & Max reboot, I've enjoyed the Strong Bad etc games I got, and I like where the Monkey Island demo took me.

Then there's the snag.

The people at Telltale Games are sublime geniuses when it comes to writing humorous dialogue and designing intriguing puzzles.  However, retarded lemurs could do a better job at running a business.  To wit-

I bought the Strong Bad complete package.
The online authentication could not complete by any means possible.
I send a technical support email, and get an automated reply logging my message and promising a forthcoming response within two business days.
Cut to week later.  No email.  I get on the Telltale Games support forum, and this appears to be common problem of people being unable to get online authentication.
I post a message relating my problem, saying that I'm rather tired of waiting.
Three days go by.  The only responses are from volunteer sycophants blaming me for being too computer illiterate to receive an email.
Finally I get a manual authentication code.  It works, and there was much rejoicing.
Now I want to play the other episodes.  Turns out I have to do all this again, but I didn't save the code, because I thought it would work for all of them.  No problem, I've still got the code on the forum.  Except...
For the past three days, I haven't been able to get farther than the Telltale Games frontpage before the connection times out.

What I'm saying is these guys have more IT and purchasing problems than any game company I've ever heard of.  To the point that "pirating" cracked versions of the episodes I'd already paid for was my best option, except I could only find a couple of them available.  This is really starting to piss me off.

Here's a hint companies.  You want people to buy your games?  Don't make it this damn hard to use something I already bought.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Telltale Games, and why piracy exists
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »

There are several good free adventure games. The White Chamber comes to mind. Speculum mortis, too.

Also: First post.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 03:12:42 pm »

oh yes. If there's one genre that's both free and good- it's adventure games. (Most of those are Interactive Fiction, but even once you separate them, free P'n'C adventure games are of consistently better quality then free FPSes, RTSes, and RPGs put together).

I would like to recommend Tale of Two Kingdoms, which is one of the best Adventure games in the world. Commercial or free. And The Ben Jordan series.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:28 pm »

I never had any problem with Telltale's online authentication though. YMMV. Still, I sympathize.

The Telltale website works for me. What's your user name on the forums? I might dig up that code for you. Or was that code sent to you via PM?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:20:58 pm »

I've never had any problems with Telltale.  Wonder what might be causing yours.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 03:22:29 pm »

Found the thread where you made your request. However, it seems that the code is sent via PM. Since your connection is timing out, it might be a problem with your web browser's cache not storing cookies. You may need to log onto another computer to get that password. Or get one of the Bay12ers to log onto your account for you, retrive the password, and then PM it to your account on Bay12.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 04:28:17 pm »

I loved the new Sam and Max. However, I had all those online authentication problems as well.
And I upgraded to a new laptop that runs Vista Premium 64bit. Playing their games now results in 30 seconds to one minute load times.

Going on the forums, a Telltale admin tells me that 64 bit is NOT a supported OS. Purely because they won't equip their office with a 64 bit machine....
I refuse to do any more business with them.

Now I'll just go play the first three Monkey Islands, Sam and Max: Hit the Road, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Full Throttle on ScummVM.

EDIT:
Now I went back and re-read the thread I started for this issue. 3 other people had the same issue, all using 64 bit, and their best solution was to offer a refund. Pathetic.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:34:19 pm by yougiedeggs »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:38:50 pm »

This may not mean much, but I've had zero trouble thus far with the free Sam & Max game on Steam, Abe Lincoln Must Die. There's a lot of Telltale stuff on Steam, but I'm not sure if it would be the same way or not.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 06:39:58 pm »

I bought majesty 2 and I can't download it yet. A friend has already pirated it. That stings.

I bought ANNO 1404, he pirated it. I get SecureROM he doesn't.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:15:29 pm »

I bought ANNO 1404, he pirated it. I get SecureROM he doesn't.

See? piracy doesnt pay. You miss out software features!

...wait a minute...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 06:56:21 am »

I started "pirating" recently - I bought NWN 1 and it was german. (wasnt obvious before, its teh collection and everything but part 1 can be set to english -.-)

HORRIBLY translated, and that isnt even describing the full extent of the devastation the translation caused. So I downloaded the OV, and play online with the CD keys I have from my legitly purchased box.

I somewhat blame them for releasing a game like that, but on the other hand I dont care as much, it's FULL of text (so localizing must be horrible work) and I know german kiddies can be a bit weird when it comes to learning english. They friggin learn it in school, but they pass up their chance to play games in english, which would improve their grades without studying, but wtf, they rather complain and play unholy localized versions. Well... their loss.

tl;dr I'm GLAD I bought it. Forking out for that product was the right choice.

When it comes to intrusive copy protection, however, I fully support all the guys stealing their software. Stick it to the man!

edit: I'm from europe and yesterday I couldnt connect to half the world, maybe there was some underseas cables cut, again, maybe that has something to do with some of the mentioned problems here...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:59:15 am by Puck »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 07:06:37 am »

I would totally buy ANNO 1404 (or Dawn of Discovery, depending on which country you get it from) if it had online multiplayer, but i hear it doesn't, so despite very much enjoying the game i don't see any reason to infest my system with SecuROM for a game with little replayability.

I always buy games that don't have copy-protection though, even if i didn't really like them that much, simply for the principle of the matter.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 12:03:47 pm »

I started "pirating" recently - I bought NWN 1 and it was german. (wasnt obvious before, its teh collection and everything but part 1 can be set to english -.-)

HORRIBLY translated, and that isnt even describing the full extent of the devastation the translation caused. So I downloaded the OV, and play online with the CD keys I have from my legitly purchased box.

I somewhat blame them for releasing a game like that, but on the other hand I dont care as much, it's FULL of text (so localizing must be horrible work) and I know german kiddies can be a bit weird when it comes to learning english. They friggin learn it in school, but they pass up their chance to play games in english, which would improve their grades without studying, but wtf, they rather complain and play unholy localized versions. Well... their loss.

tl;dr I'm GLAD I bought it. Forking out for that product was the right choice.

When it comes to intrusive copy protection, however, I fully support all the guys stealing their software. Stick it to the man!

edit: I'm from europe and yesterday I couldnt connect to half the world, maybe there was some underseas cables cut, again, maybe that has something to do with some of the mentioned problems here...

I understand that german videogame laws are pretty anal about many things too. IE: substituting the people in carmageddon with robots, and that sort of thing.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 05:30:17 pm »

I often pirate things that I legally own. I downloaded Warcraft III after a youth intern from out of state accidentally forgot to return it (unintentional, he left one of his King of the Hill dvd's in the jewel case). Be forewarned, occasionally a company goes stupid and tries to sue for theft, so be sure not to leave the program on your torrent client for them to track. Just be careful.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 10:29:24 pm »

Just say no to online authentication.

You are not buying a game. You're renting it. When they decide to shutdown the authentication server (going bankrupt, got bought out by another company, cutting cost, trying to push a new version, etc.), you will no longer be able to install the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4