Around 40
- 41 (29.3%)
Around 80
- 29 (20.7%)
I don't lower the population cap.
- 54 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How many of you stick to a low population cap?  (Read 7190 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you stick to a low population cap?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 11:53:19 pm »

Oops, quoted myself when I meant to modify the last post. Not sure how to delete this one...

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 03:52:58 am »

I am obsessive in DF - I cannot stand ANY idlers - this makes for an extremely efficient fortress, but my CPU limits my FPS - more than 50 dwarves and things are too horrible to bear.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 04:12:38 am »

About 30.
They're already mooding, and don't eat FPS yet.
Finis sanctificat media.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:36 am »

I am obsessive in DF - I cannot stand ANY idlers

I've never had problems with the haulers having stuff to do, even if it's just fill the stockpiles near the workers...

(Oh, and I've recently taken to assigning haulers 'workout' shifts on the pumps, to make up for the lack of strength gain hauling statues...)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 10:22:34 am »

To me, I don't limit the number of dwarves in my fortress, largely because I view my population size and how well I can support it (with resources) as a measurement of the success of my fort. Like how in SimCity, one builds their city (usually) to try to just make a sustainable city as large as possible (I have never been able to stay in the black with that game; I'm always taking out loans to pay off other loan debts...), I play Dwarf Fortress to make the most supreme mountainhome of all dwarf mountainhomes. Having a large population makes some of the fun of the game to me an endurance run to see how many dwarves I can manage without tantrum spirals and deaths.

Although, obviously, when I get too many dwarves for my FPS to support, I have no choice but to abandon ship.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 10:36:06 am »

Yeah, I think it largely depends on what your goals are.  My goals are to give the few dwarves I have the most extravagant accommodations possible.  That's difficult to do with a large population because you run out of room very quickly.  With 30 dwarves it's quite possible to have a moderate sized room for every dwarf, possibly even a dining room for every dwarf, all furnished with high quality platinum furniture.  Of course lately I've been just giving my founders quality accommodations and sticking everyone else in a barracks.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 10:43:57 am »

Yeah, I think it largely depends on what your goals are.  My goals are to give the few dwarves I have the most extravagant accommodations possible.  That's difficult to do with a large population because you run out of room very quickly.  With 30 dwarves it's quite possible to have a moderate sized room for every dwarf, possibly even a dining room for every dwarf, all furnished with high quality platinum furniture.  Of course lately I've been just giving my founders quality accommodations and sticking everyone else in a barracks.
huh?

with fifteen levels, you can give each dwarf the better part of a map square, even with 200 dwarves?

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 11:03:43 am »

And a personal dining room for each? Wow... Isn't it better to just make 1 extremely large and extravagant dining room?

I'm planning a real nice dining room for them (kinda like a mega project, except quite simple. Just a very high fountain/water fall in the center, made from glass only.) Gems, if I can find it...

My rooms are mostly 3x3's (5x5 actually, if you count walls. Double walls, so I can engrave all room walls). Modded living pod design, so 21x21 per level, houses 16 (except lobby, which houses 12). Just 10 lvls or so does the trick, if you place a separate complex for nobles and their guards. (Also, marriages).

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 11:35:36 am »

I try to prevent immigration alltogether for most of my forts. I let the dwarves go wild with children. My last fort had 63 dwarves. Only 20 of them were adults. I then make nice rooms for them and generally try to get them living in the lap of luxury.

It makes a big difference in how you treat your dwarves when that goblin crossbow group scoring one grevious injury cuts 1/20th of your population for game decades.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 11:38:21 am »

I don't like <50 fps for long, so I try to keep dwarves under sixty or seventy.

I haven't had much of a problem with children ever, though... Snatchers FTW!
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 12:42:52 pm »

I haven't edited the pop limit, but I haven't been able to make good fortresses that survive either. :P
Until now, that is. I have 178 dwarves and get 47-51 fps, which is pretty okay.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 01:36:22 pm »

I set mine at 7, but I typically end up with 7 -14 dwarves because of the first wave of immigrants.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 03:20:59 pm »

I don't set a limit ... But on my current fortress I'm getting about 15fps... I had 180 dwarfs and was thinking of limiting it at that just to stop the king from turning up.... Luckily I didn't need to do that because a slight over sight killed 20 or so dwarfs... So I was under controll again... Then for a few years no migrants would dare to come... Now I'm back at 180ish and I've cleared up most of the problems that let all those dwarfs die.

Actually if I look at the halls of the dead there must be 60 coffins in use... Hmmm maybe more guys are dieing than I thought.

I'm not deliberatly killing anyone though... They just seem to have reached a sort of equilibrium ... Deaths = births + migrants
Must be all the magma pump failures... Although walling themselves into corners and starving to death seems to be a popular way to go too...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »

I like planning out my fort, which takes a while. The last thing I want ot see happen is get a load of 30 immigrants when I'm half done with expanding to fit the last 30. So, I tend to increment it like so:

The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 05:29:08 pm »

I keep mine set to around 30, although migrants will fill up 40-50 slots.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4