Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Epic beginning  (Read 1528 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Epic beginning
« on: September 16, 2009, 02:25:19 am »

Genned a new world last night on Vanilla and got two hefty surprises.

Spring of the second year the elves brought me breeding pairs of wolves, giant eagles and giant desert scorpions.
I had my first immigrant wave the next season and went up from 7 dwarfs right to 31 :)  The weirdest thing was my fortress wealth was only about 20k!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:48:22 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Epic beginning
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00:13 am »

Dang, that's awesome...

Maybe Armok was smiling upon you  8).
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:11:54 am »

Damn elves just bring me cloth.  I have a rule that if they do it 3 years in a row, they get toasted. 

Luckily on my current roll all the elves died out in world gen.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:25:58 pm »

Dang, that's awesome...

From what I understand, when Armok smiles, its because he's thrown the lever connected to magma.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:11:53 pm »

Dang, that's awesome...

From what I understand, when Armok smiles, its because he's thrown the lever connected to magma highly combustible supercats
Fixed for accuracy

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 11:13:57 am »

If your forts are anything like mine, I would suggest that get defenses up as soon as possible.  Once everything goes perfect in the first two years or so, I'll get an unannounced siege that will wipe me out.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:52:48 am »

Damn elves just bring me cloth.  I have a rule that if they do it 3 years in a row, they get toasted. 

Luckily on my current roll all the elves died out in world gen.

Stupid elves never bring me any cloth anymore.

At least my black bear (bought from the elves, of course) breeding program is a success. Now if only DF was advanced enough to return all tame creatures to the wild critter populations upon fort abandonment...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:57:54 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 02:34:20 pm »

My elves only turn up with wood and berries.

I have a rule where if the entire caravan is worth less than the skulls, bones, meat, and fat of the elves and pack animals, they get drowned.

Apart from every so often where I trade them a few binfulls of trinkets and goblin clothing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 05:06:25 pm »

My elves only turn up with wood and berries.

I have a rule where if the entire caravan is worth less than the skulls, bones, meat, and fat of the elves and pack animals, they get drowned.

Apart from every so often where I trade them a few binfulls of trinkets and goblin clothing.

I've had elves bring me good stuff, a breeding pair of wolves (over the course of four years, but still), a tame giant eagle, and a full set of base quality wooden swords and spears. Usually they just bring enough cloth to clothe all of the mountainhome and most of the goblins. Makes me want to char em black, then they suddenly bring something nice and I grant the elf traders a few more seasons to live before going after xenocide.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:50:31 pm »

Sheesh, I use eleves for wood mostly. And as a rule, they walk off with as much goblin crap they can cary.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 09:03:41 pm »

I trade with them until they get pissy about me offering them a sock that menaces with spikes of oak.  Then if I can I seal the entrance and wait for them to go berserk.