Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: Scribblenauts  (Read 22384 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Scribblenauts
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2009, 01:01:57 am »

Unfortunately, though, the farthing and pence don't behave like money, making them -utterly- worthless. At least, they didn't in my single trial. Perhaps I should run more.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:01 am »

haha at hedgehog's reaction to rings.

I thought this was posted already?

Every word spawnable in scribblenauts:

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2009, 02:07:48 am »

Abraham Lincoln vs. George Washington.  It must be done.

Pity they don't have John Wilkes Booth...  But at least they've got joints!  Someone please tell me that doesn't just spawn a hinge...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2009, 02:19:48 am »

Do chemicals have the properties or react as they would in real life?
I see on that list they have many different compounds,
A simple test would be spawning some octane in water. Does it form separate layers?
Or maybe try mixing propionic acid with sodium hydroxide.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2009, 05:02:39 am »

Elements spawn as blocks that don't seem to react to anything. You can't mix elements that should react to each other, they just bounce off each other. :(

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:48 am »

Elements spawn as blocks that don't seem to react to anything. You can't mix elements that should react to each other, they just bounce off each other. :(

What about liquids? If you spawn HCL, will it come inside a beaker? If so, then maybe you can pick it up and use the fill action on a beaker of water?

I have played a bit on my coworker's DS... seems fun, but not sure if it's really worth it to buy a DS, just for this game.

I'm a PC-only video gamer... and I don't see myself bringing the DS with me outside (I have Windows Mobile for that).

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2009, 05:09:50 am »

There's not as much freedom in this game as I thought. Insofar as I have tested it, you cannot link a large bin full of magma to a lever.

The moment any game designer selling his game as one of 'total freedom and creative possibilities' attracts the attention of DF players, I think he is going to weep.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2009, 06:26:08 am »

Ultimately it's very basic physics (balloons make things go up) and then social interaction between the different people you spawn.

It really doesn't live up to the claim that it's all about emergent gameplay.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2009, 07:56:12 am »

Nearly sixteen pages of praise, and now the bashing has begun...

Is our excitement of the game fading so the flaws of the game become too annoying to ignore?

Or is this bashing mandated by a certain internet law?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:57:45 am by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2009, 07:57:46 am »

Once one's eyes become accustomed to the gleam, the smudges become much more apparent.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2009, 08:00:52 am »

It's not really bashing, just noticing the shortcomings of the game and being disappointed.

In other words, the honeymoon phase is ending.

The game is still awesome though, and some of the puzzles are fiendishly difficult. Especially for me, cuz I have a hard time thinking outside the box. I'm stuck on one of the sub-levels of the second level. The one with the wolf, and the herd of goats. How the hell do I get the goat to move, and once he starts moving, how do I get him across the water?

I guess I'll just ask around at work tomorrow and raise more eyebrows. I got a few strange looks when I asked people during my lunch break, "hey, what does Santa like!?".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2009, 08:06:38 am »

The communist attacks money  ;D

I am surprised. Communists arn't against money.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2009, 08:07:16 am »

The Communist should share the money out equally among his Communist friends.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:15 am »

Emergent gameplay is when the game can be solved using methods unforeseen by the programmers, whether by design (giving the player tools and physics to create their own solution) or by accident (glitches, bugs, unforeseen AI behaviour)

Now, in Scribblenauts, I rescued the kitten by using two laser swords and a piece of glue.  I doubt the programmers intended laser sword polevaulting as a possible solution, but it works.  A non-emergent solution would be summoning a fireman.  Firemen rescue kittens, and this is also a solution to the puzzle.

Scribblenauts has emergent gameplay because it gives you enough tools to think of your own solutions and allows for solutions the programmers could never have thought of themselves.
The objects you can summon are mostly prettier copies of similar objects, but that's because they wanted you to be really able to summon almost anything.  If they stuck to just one of each functional object, you'd have a menu with objects to pick from.

It's called "Scribblenauts", and the main character wears a chicken hat.  I don't think anyone ever meant for the game to have complex chemistry.

Sandbox games always get boring soon anyways.  The best sandbox there is is the real world, but still people go play computer games because they're bored, then complain because the sandbox game they're playing gets boring.
Physics are boring, you already know the rules of physics.  Once you've messed around a bit you already know what will happen even though you've never done it before.  People are great at recognizing patterns.  If you really want to captivate an audience, provide a storyline, a preset goal, a human opponent, whatever. Just sandboxing itself is a recipe for dullness no matter how detailed.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2009, 09:19:58 am »

The Communist should share the money out equally among his Enlightened friends comrades.

Comrade General! We salute you!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30