Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selecting material for building  (Read 573 times)

PhilD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selecting material for building
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:50:00 am »

In many cases, when creating a building, one gets the choice of a material/object to build with. Since the list tends to be so long, with many repeats, I assume one gets to choose a specific piece of material, not just a type and quality.

Now, there is (apparently) no way to see _where_ this specific piece of material is currently located. With potentially many stockpiles, there could be a huge difference in the amount of hauling this could entail. So, why not have the player select just a type and quality, and let the dwarf picking the job choose the most appropriate? (or, if dwarves are supposed to look at distances when picking their next job, just auto-select the "most appropriate" object when the job is created)

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selecting material for building
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »

Since there is no way of knowing before placing a building what distances are to stockpiles, it might be enough if after you make the selection it converts it into quantities and once you place the building, it picks the closest ones of that type.  Of course, it would be better if you could place and then choose the materials (with an arrangement in order of distance).  Particularly with roads and bridges where the amount of rock you choose determines the size, it makes more sense to choose the size, and then have to select enough rock before it will get built.

imsabbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »

In the same line, it would be nice if you could enable quality sorting for furniture placement.

Yesterday i way putting 40 beds into my barracks, and it was a major pain to pick out the non-premium ones.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:07:00 am »

I'd just like to state that these are all good ideas. Especially the picking a building material one.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games