Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 59

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet RTD [Game Over]  (Read 79465 times)

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 13: Lady Luck smiles?]
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2009, 09:09:03 am »

Study Arcane Theory... again

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2009, 10:07:42 am »

It's time to put my mechanics skill to use. I'll try to make a trap to kill those horrible beasts that are approaching.
6: You quickly convert your watchtower into a platform, then drag a few more logs ontop. After harnessing the logs together with some vines, you stand underneath the structure and wait for the shapes you saw approaching earlier. After a while, you start to get unnerved, because you don't hear anything. Then the shapes silently leaped out of the fog straight at you, terrifying creatures seemingly made of nothing but shadow. You pull the rope, and the structure collapses ontop of them. As the logs crush them, not a sound is made. You see shadow bleeding out from under the logs, and when you lift one up, nothing remains of the creatures.

+2 to Mechanics
+2 to Architecture

(The negative effect here was counteracted by the nature of the shadow-monsters)

I enchant some of the smith's daggers with finesse rune spells.
5: You gather up some of her daggers from the back and take one of her engraving tools. You set to work carving a finesse rune into the hilt of each blade, slowly making sure each detail is perfect. Each time a rune is completed a soft light glows from the rune, then fades. After finishing, your concentration is broken and you look up to see the smith standing in awe. "Can you teach me to do that?"

+4 to Runecrafting

I'll pretend to be a normal traveler, and talk to some of the less threatening people about the recent robberies, and try and figure out who the bandits are if anyone acts suspiciously.
3: You begin talking to the innkeeper about the robberies. During your conversation, you can tell that the innkeeper knows something, but he's too scared to tell you anything. Several times you saw hm glance over at one of the houses on the east side of town.
+1 to Persuasion

Ask kilikan to help me up to the rafters, where I can stealth from the bandits.
2: You jump ontop of Kilakan to gain a boost into the rafters, but he staggers under your weight and you both collapse.

Study Arcane Theory... again
6: You continue studying magical theory. Euphoric from your sudden knowledge of magical theory, you grab some of the advanced textbooks and begin studying them. They are still rather difficult, but you learn some of the advanced concepts behind the theory of ether, a supposed stream of magic that fluctuates through the world.

+2 to Magical Theory

You do realize that Arcane Theory will not help you learn other magic schools, right? It only helps when casting spells.

----------------------------------
Di' Ako
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nirur Torir
Z. Chris
Lawrence Godred
Ragnok
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2009, 10:09:53 am »

If you haven't noticed, I'm trying to flesh out the story of the world a little more now.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2009, 10:25:13 am »

I'll rent a room then ask if the innkeeper could bring some food up to the room, once he's there I'll block the door and try to persuade him that he can tell me anything about the robberies, and that no harm will come to him if he does.
Nom nom nom

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2009, 10:32:02 am »

Yes! I have a fan now. Of course, I was going to go learn more runes, but it always helps to have fans of my work.

I teach the smith the runes I know, and how to engrave them onto things.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2009, 01:38:08 pm »

Threat neutralized.
So now, I'll just walk in a straight line towards whichever direction I think is north. I'm bound to run into something eventually.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2009, 01:55:51 pm »

Threat neutralized.
So now, I'll just walk in a straight line towards whichever direction I think is north. I'm bound to run into something eventually.
Umm... north is the direction those things came from. Are you sure you want to head that way?

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2009, 02:44:51 pm »

Threat neutralized.
Umm... north is the direction those things came from. Are you sure you want to head that way?

Oh. Well, I don't have much to lose (aside from my limbs). But yeah, combat isn't quite my characters strong point just yet, so I guess if I'm going to be headed towards that undoubtedly evil location, I should be prepared.

My action will instead be to construct a mobile defense... construction. Sort of like a battering ram: something to protect me while I move around.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:46:38 pm by Apostolic Nihilist »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 14: Threat Neutralized]
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:02 pm »

BAR THE DOOR
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2009, 07:13:10 pm »

Bulborbhish, if you're going to continue to study, do you just want me to auto-study for you unit you say otherwise?

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2009, 04:02:16 am »

Sure

The thing is, I won't be studying for very much longer.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2009, 08:54:35 am »

Bulborbhish, if you're going to continue to study, do you just want me to auto-study for you unit you say otherwise?

Alright. I'm guessing that's your action for this turn though?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2009, 09:54:27 am »

He said that it was, dude.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2009, 01:07:06 pm »

I'll rent a room then ask if the innkeeper could bring some food up to the room, once he's there I'll block the door and try to persuade him that he can tell me anything about the robberies, and that no harm will come to him if he does.
6: You order a steaming hot meal, and retreat to your room. When the innkeeper comes up to give you your food, you slip behind him and close the door. Afterwords, you interrogate him as to the location of the bandits. He tells you what house they're located in(second furthest to the west), how many there are(5), and that they have a mage with them as well. After you're done with the interrogation, you realized you scared the poor man so much she's shakign in fear and crying - it is unlikely he will be useful for anything else for a long time to come, as he has to get over his hysteria. You leave him to sit on the bed in your room.

+2 to Persuasion

I teach the smith the runes I know, and how to engrave them onto things.
5: You begin showing her how to engrave runes on things, and she picks it up pretty quickly. After a while she asks if it would make more sense to create the rune while the sword is being forged, rather than carving it after. You decide to give it a try, and she forges a scimitar with a Rune of Finesse forged into the blade itself. This rune seems stronger than the others; it still glows faintly even after the rune was completed.

+3 to Runecrafting
+3 to Blacksmithing

construct a mobile defense... construction. Sort of like a battering ram: something to protect me while I move around.

4: You collect the remains of your log trap and make a small shelter out of the materials. You realize wheels would be nearly worthless on the soggy forest floor, so you attach some runners to the bottom, turning it into a sled. 

+2 to Carpentry
+2 to Siege Engineering
Item: Armored Sled

BAR THE DOOR
1: You grab an iron bar and try to block anyone else from entering. The bar doesn't fit, so you try to force it into the door. The bar pops back out and strikes you in the shoulder, dislocating it. 3: You bite back a yell, trying to hide the pain. The ordeal makes you slightly tougher.

+1 to Vitality.

Sure
2:You continue studying the advanced topics, but learn nothing more of importance. In fact, you learn nothing at all!

----------------------------------
Di' Ako
Nirur Torir
Z. Chris
Lawrence Godred
Ragnok
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:09:32 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2009, 02:08:08 pm »

I'll attempt to put Chris's shoulder back in the socket and give him a bit of painkillers from my survival kit to keep him from passing out from the pain.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 59