Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 59

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet RTD [Game Over]  (Read 79336 times)

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 2: Why are people so bad at writing their names?]
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2009, 05:58:30 pm »

How depressing.
If I can't use them to find out more about magic, I'll try to convince them to build me a Wizard's Tower somewhere outside the city's walls.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 2: Why are people so bad at writing their names?]
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2009, 06:02:27 pm »

sooo, did my face fuse with the bandages or something, and what can I do to actually be able to see?
I dunno. Think of something. Maybe you can try burning your bandages off...

(You could just try removing them again. Only reason you failed is because you rolled a 2)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 3: Insert Witty Comment Here]
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2009, 12:20:36 pm »

Well, I'll try to remove the bandages then study my spell-book again, trying to learn a basic ranged attack spell.

Man my luck has been shit, 1,1,2.
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 3: Insert Witty Comment Here]
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2009, 02:47:01 pm »

I'm just going to assume Z. chris wants to continue looking for work, since that's what he's been doing the past three turns.

Remember: Using dirty potion bottles is a good way to create new potions.

I again sign up for a class on Arcane Theory, being sure I sign the proper form this time.
1+2 = 3: You sign up for a class on magic theory, just barely writing in your name in the last spot before someone else. Looks like those writing skills did come in handy after all.

(I decided that you argument about scribe experience made sense after all... too late to go back and change the last one, but at least you got some alchemy experience out of it.)

Study Advanced magic Theory

2: You still don't understand any of the advanced concepts you got laughed at last class for not knowing. Maybe you should study the basics a little more...

How depressing.
If I can't use them to find out more about magic, I'll try to convince them to build me a Wizard's Tower somewhere outside the city's walls.

2: None of the craftsmen are willing to build a tower for you. It seems that building right outside the city is not the best place for a solitary wizard's tower. In addition, they seem to want payment, or something silly like that. 

Well, I'll try to remove the bandages then study my spell-book again, trying to learn a basic ranged attack spell.
5: You safely remove the bandages from your face, and take a deep gulp of air. The air helps clear your thoughts, and you realize it might be better to start off with an element that is less violent than fire. Flipping to the chapter on earth, you learn the a lot about manipulating the earth around you, and you can now launch stones at a target.

+4 to Elementalism
New Spell: Terra Strike

Attribute Bonus: Willpower +1
(This is for failing multiple times in a row and keeping at it until you succeeded.)

Quote from: z. chris
Look for mercenary work
2: You continue looking for work, but you fail to find any jobs at all. Even the stable mucker position seems to have been filled.

Attribute Bonus: Willpower +1
(This is also for failing multiple times and sticking to it. Mostly, I just felt sorry for your lousy luck, since you didn't succeed this time either.)

----------------------------------
Di' Ako
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nirur Torir
Z. Chris
Lawrence Godred
Ragnok

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 5: Houston, we have magic!]
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »

Two natural {1}s, each for the same action. I think the dice are trying to tell me something here, but hurray for scribe skills!

I take the Magical Theory class, and excel in it.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2009, 04:04:59 pm »

Payment!?
Surely listening to my hilarious jokes was payment enough.
(What good is my comedian skill for, anyways?  ::) )

Besides that, perhaps convincing them to build me a tower without any plans or schematics was a poor idea.
I'll mentally begin to assemble a complex building design in my head, taking care to implement several traps.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2009, 04:26:07 pm »

It's useful for getting people to like you, but I don't think you can bribe someone with it...

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2009, 04:45:32 pm »

It's useful for getting people to like you, but I don't think you can bribe someone with it...
Ah, you are underestimating the power of a skilled novice comedian!
Once I gain power, my jokes will become the currency of the new world (whatever that may entail...).

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »

I'll go and juggle stones in the market for coins (and secretly use my earth-elemental powers to help me control the stones.)
Nom nom nom

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2009, 06:04:20 pm »

Just keep getting work.  Punch Kilikan. Nonlethal damage. Roll 3 natural 20's.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2009, 08:19:35 pm »

How will familiars/summoned creatures/minions/henchmen/hired drunks work? Will we eventually be able to, for example, have an army of golems at our disposal?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2009, 08:35:36 pm »

How will familiars/summoned creatures/minions/henchmen/hired drunks work? Will we eventually be able to, for example, have an army of golems at our disposal?
Yes, but they will not be cost-free, even after you have obtained them. Everything will require a maintenance cost, be that in gold or something else... If you can not afford to maintain them, at they may abandon you at best.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2009, 07:07:16 pm »

study basic magic theory

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 6: Kilakan the amazing Rock Wizard]
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2009, 08:36:27 pm »

I just realized that the stats/skills each character has aren't even doing anything, so I think I'm going to add in a new rule. For every 5 points above average, you get a free re-roll in the case of a failure. Skills will grant a direct bonus to the roll, depending on the difficulty of the task. Easy tasks get +1/skill, average ones get +0.5/skill, and complex tasks won't grant any, since the task is above your skill level.

I take the Magical Theory class, and excel in it.
2: You fail to excel in the Magical Theory class. You just can't seem to grasp the core concepts...
Intelligence Roll:
1: Thinking harder only makes you more confused. 

I'll mentally begin to assemble a complex building design in my head, taking care to implement several traps.
5: In a rather strange moment, you are possessed by the ghost of an unfamous yet spectacular architect who never got to fulfill his dream of building a grand castle. He gives you the plans he designed for it, then returns to the grave to rest in peace. Even after his spirit is gone, some of his great architecture skill lingers in your mind.

+4 to Architecture

I'll go and juggle stones in the market for coins (and secretly use my earth-elemental powers to help me control the stones.)
5: You stand in the marketplace, "juggling" some stones. Before long your control over the earth increases, and you're able to put on a spectacular show with giant rocks that almost qualify as boulders spinning in the air. It's obvious you're using magic at this point, but the crowd doesn't seem to care - either that or they're afraid that if they get you mad one of the rocks will land on them. A pile of coins grows at your feet.

Word spreads about your proficiency with rocks. A few of the scholars at the university think that they may have been wrong about you after all...

+100 Gold
+4 to Elementalism

Just keep getting work.  Punch Kilikan. Nonlethal damage. Roll 3 natural 20's.
1: You try to find work, puch Kilakan, and roll three dice at the same time. You fail spectacularly and fall flat on your face, getting a bloody nose.

Bloody Nose: -2 Appearance, -2 Charisma
study basic magic theory
1: You fail to understand anything at first, and wind up even more confused.
Intelligence Roll:
3: However, your brilliant mind soon puts some sense to the words. You learn a little about the basic concepts.

+1 to Magical Theory

----------------------------------
Di' Ako
Nirur Torir
Z. Chris
Lawrence Godred
Ragnok

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 6: Kilakan the amazing Rock Wizard]
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:33 pm »

Now that I have the plans, all I have to do is write them down.
I'll scrawl the schematics (or at least, what I can remember of them) onto whatever surface I can find; my flesh, if it comes to it! That rusty iron knife will prove its use yet!

Edit: Actually, if possible, it'd be better to carve it onto someone else's flesh. So I'd like to check out an alley by the tavern for passed out drunks if I can't find a suitable writing surface.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:15:08 pm by Apostolic Nihilist »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 59