Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Is Adventure mode fun?  (Read 5583 times)

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is Adventure mode fun?
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:26:37 am »

if it is, i will try it!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Is Adventure mode fun?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:52:21 am »

Yes. Yes it is. ;D

May take a bit of getting used to, though.

Also the temptation to just slaughter everyone you meet is overwhelming.

Among other things, there's the combat. It gets really gritty down at the adventure mode level.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:55:52 am »

No, actually, I'm sorry but Braddles, you don't need to make topics like this. If you want to know if something is good and you have access to said thing you can just try it.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:52:26 am »

Revisiting your own abandoned fortresses is fun too. :)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:19:30 am »

It's fun.
Well, it's fun when you work it out, otherwise you get slaughtered by wolves.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 03:02:39 am »

Just waltzing into the wilderness is fun, Toady One Fun!
Using a macro to grind throwing, swimming and ambush for 15 minutes first is fun too. But it has the same guilt as savescumming!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:43:14 am »

SPEND TWO HOURS MANUALLY GRINDING YOUR STATS THROUGH THROWING, SWIMMING AND AMBUSHING

DIE IN YOUR FIRST COMBAT AGAINST ONE WOLF DUE TO IT GETTING A LUCKY SHOT ON YOUR THROAT
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:56:24 am »

I've never died from wolf-throat tearing, if only because I have the presence of mind to run away so that I don't get zerged. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:18:34 am »

Did you also set fire to all and sundry whilst running?

I like to think all dwarves are insane firebugs who can't separate reality from FIREFIREFIREFIREWOOOOOOOSH

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:07:45 am »

I throw my socks at them, but I save the deathoffire for titans.

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:01:13 pm »

Tried Risen and was disappointed as i had played adventure mode(mayday tileset) earlier, new games have so much to learn from the persitent world and hardcore mechanics in DF adventure mode.

Really, DF is a ugly duckling of win, my mates think i am mad to play a game with such crappy gfx...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 03:03:09 pm »

SPEND TWO HOURS MANUALLY GRINDING YOUR STATS THROUGH THROWING, SWIMMING AND AMBUSHING
DIE IN YOUR FIRST COMBAT AGAINST ONE WOLF DUE TO IT GETTING A LUCKY SHOT ON YOUR THROAT
SAVE

SCUM

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »

Even without manually training, I have found that to invest in the right weapon/shield/armor ratio makes defeating wolves off the bat incredibly easy.

Do something like a 10 shield, 9 armor, 8 weapon, 7 wrestling, 1 ambush ratio.

Blocking + armor = take no damage while wrestling affects dodge. This highly increases your chances of survival to train even more.

Also press C and choose dodge away preference- it also gives you better survivability and engage wolves one at a time, don't charge into the lot of them. If you are completely surrounded in an ambush, move away from them and your high block/dodge should help you fight your way out and give you a way to reengage and defeat them.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »

I've been wanting Adventure mode tips for a long, long time.

Thanks.

Also, a tip from me: Hire meatshields.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 05:52:35 pm »

I've been wanting Adventure mode tips for a long, long time.

Thanks.

Also, a tip from me: Hire meatshields.

Hmm.  I have to disagree.  In my experience, it becomes impossible to level up after you hire followers, as they will steal most of your kills and experience.  If they're even halfway competent, they won't usually die in an ambush; so you'll have to take some pretty complicated/time-consuming steps to get rid of them, because you can't just dismiss them outright (I think I've started a thread on this problem before...).  Plus it's more interesting to kill everything by yourself anyway.  :P

Even without manually training, I have found that to invest in the right weapon/shield/armor ratio makes defeating wolves off the bat incredibly easy.

Do something like a 10 shield, 9 armor, 8 weapon, 7 wrestling, 1 ambush ratio.

Blocking + armor = take no damage while wrestling affects dodge. This highly increases your chances of survival to train even more.

Also press C and choose dodge away preference- it also gives you better survivability and engage wolves one at a time, don't charge into the lot of them. If you are completely surrounded in an ambush, move away from them and your high block/dodge should help you fight your way out and give you a way to reengage and defeat them.

I'm a fan of putting all the points into a single weapon skill, as these are the most time-consuming combat skills of all to train.  Because of your high skill with a weapon, it's possible to strike wolves down fairly easily (provided you're fighting them one-by-one) and strangle the unconscious survivors until you have a few levels in wrestling.  And then you can go wrestle undead to get legendary wrestling in 5 minutes.  Once you've done that, you can go lie prone in the middle of a pack of wolves to train your shield use and (although this is a bit more risky) armor use.  But there's no similarly convenient method to training weapon skills.

I never see any point in training ambushing as it hinders training by decreasing random encounters; by the time you don't need to train anymore, you're strong enough that you can kill everything anyway, so no reason to go through all this sissy hiding stuff. 
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4