Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cloth industry worth it?  (Read 2877 times)

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloth industry worth it?
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:19 am »

To rake in some trader moneyz next time he shows up, (keeping in mind i only have 6 dwarves), is trying to start a cloth industry worth it? i know how to do it, thank you wiki, buuut, i dont know IF its WORTH it.

so thats the question. i have no already skilled cloth dudes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth industry worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:50:25 am »

Only 6 dwarves? Crank out stone like there's no tomorrow. It's not worth it otherwise.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:51:27 am »

Suggestion: Ask all your questions in one thread please? The multiple threads are getting a little spammy.

Your play-by-play of your DF experience wouldn't be captivating news even if I was your BFF on IM.

And stealing cloth from the elves, and setting a clothier's shop to "sew cloth image" onto other trade goods is always cheap and easy.

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:52:02 am »

lol, stone it is,

only 6 because no migrants arrived and erm

the carp decided to "welcome" me...

well, welcome my fisherdwarf

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:55:10 am »

Suggestion: Ask all your questions in one thread please? The multiple threads are getting a little spammy.

Your play-by-play of your DF experience wouldn't be captivating news even if I was your BFF on IM.

*GASP*

is a question forum.

i askz mah questions, when i needz em,

i aint evah gonna askz the samez questionz twicez, so,

don't read emz, or answerz emz nicelyz, cuz theyz willz be gonez eventuallyz, thenz uz willz mizz emz

with a z

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 05:57:15 am »

One thread prevents clutter and allows rapid answers of all your questions!

Logic!

Hooray.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:06:20 am »

Also, the cloth industry can get you some ridicously valuable stuff later on, sinc ethe cloth itself also has quality modifier and added to that you can even dye it to make it more valuable!

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:33 am »

Especially if you have a GCS laying around, cage trap it and have a bunch of weavers practice their craft on pig tails or normal spider silk. Once they hit legendary start making masterwork GCS silk cloth, throw some dimple dye on it and start making stockings with a high level clothier. A single masterwork GCS stocking can be worth several thousand dwarfbucks. That's before you decorate it too!

But in reality, once you start getting sieged by goblins the junk narrow leather and silk stuff they drop will probably cover 9/10ths of your trading costs.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:07:08 am »

For the money? no.  So many easier ways to make money, ways that have other benefits.

I do two seasons of pigtails to make enough cloth bags to hold a season's worth of quarry bush leaves.  After that you'll never run out of money.  Quarry bush leaves are like the spice in Dune.

If you just want to do some trading and skilling, I find that leather works similar to cloth and is much cheaper to buy.  Buy the leather from the humans/dwarves, have one guy turn it into armor, sell the armor back to the humans/dwarves, keep the bins. Cheap bins early on when you might be tight on wood.

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:09:53 am »

Yes, leather is always cheap, full bins of the stuff run from 90-200 dwarfbucks. Always keep a bit extra on hand though, for strange moods. Same goes for cloth, never a bad idea to keep some extra resources squirreled away for moods.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 09:20:25 am »

If you just want to do some trading and skilling, I find that leather works similar to cloth and is much cheaper to buy.  Buy the leather from the humans/dwarves, have one guy turn it into armor, sell the armor back to the humans/dwarves, keep the bins. Cheap bins early on when you might be tight on wood.

A quick sidetrack...  At one point I was constantly wondering why humans (and elves) will accept Dwarf-sized wares and everybody will take the Kobold and Goblin stuff.  And then I realised that what with one being able to buy the elven/human oversized clothing that's no direct use to oneself (unmodded) but useful for upcoming trades with the human/dwarven caravans after the liaiaiaiaison promises high percentage markups on footwear/whatever, regardless of their heritage and scale, there's probably another market for your stuff, somewhere down the line.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 01:14:55 pm »

i askz mah questions, when i needz em,

<pats JarJar on head>  ::)

nutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 05:52:05 pm »

Quarry bush leaves are like the spice in Dune.
;D
Dwarven syrup ftw though (unless you have a miller)

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:32:47 am »

If you did tame a GSC, the GSC silk is pretty unlimited right? Let the GSC web a captured foe continuously.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 04:42:39 am »

If you did tame a GSC, the GSC silk is pretty unlimited right? Let the GSC web a captured foe continuously.
Basically yes, however there is the problem of the foe getting to a point where your GCS can fire web at him while not pathing to him, and then there's collection issues.
It's really better to get a fresh GCS right outta the bottomless pit, that way you don't have to deal with trapping, roping, whatever.
Pages: [1] 2 3