Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A more intuitive wrestling interface.  (Read 1662 times)

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A more intuitive wrestling interface.
« on: August 27, 2006, 10:40:00 pm »

This is about the wrestling interface in Adventure mode. Currently you have to scroll through dozens of options to get the one you want. I suggest the following:

First you select the bodypart you want to use.
Then you select the bodypart on the enemy you want to wrestle.
Then, optionally, you select how to perform the maneuver (choking, breaking, throwing, etc).

To make it even easier you could have one hotkey for each bodypart, which would be consistent for both you and the enemy. You could for example use the keys on the numpad.  8 would be the head, 1 and 3 the feet and so on.

Also, having a separate key for entering wrestle mode would be nice, so you dont have to attack, turn on wrestle, and then go into the wrestling options menu.

So, if you wanted to grab a skeleton's right foot with you left hand:

-press w (or some other key) for wrestling
-press 4 to indicate your left hand
-press 3 to indicate the skeleton's right foot

The only problem is that there are more body parts than keys on the numpad, but I suppose it would work just as well using the normal keys, there's plenty of them.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: A more intuitive wrestling interface.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:18:00 pm »

The numpad thing wouldn't work, due to the different body types, ie. scorpions. Not to mention all the different ones I have started populating my game with.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:29:00 pm »

Yeah I know, using numpad would be out of the question. But using the letter keys would work fine, it would be the same for all humanoid beings, and for scorpions and the like it would simply assign each bodypart to a key in a consistent manner. Scorpions still have a torso, a head and so on so there could be a small consistency there.

Anyway, even if for some reason the hotkeys would be too difficult (I don't see why), it would still help alot to break down the moves into several parts.

[ August 28, 2006: Message edited by: odd2k ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 04:51:00 am »

how about this?
Break down the wrestling into two menus.
The first menu has, at the top, things you can do, currently, with existing grapples. It is followed by options of using a body part to grapple (i.e. 'use left hand to grapple', and this then links to a list of grapple points on the enemy (i.e. 'grapple dragon's left leg')

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:11:00 am »

But.. but that's exactly what I described in my first post, only I also added the hotkey idea. Of course there would need to be a way to access the moves without using hotkeys, but it's a lot quicker to have one key for each bodypart in addition to said lists. For creatures with weird body parts, it could fall back to certain "default" keys and assign them one by one, then show in the list which body part is attached to each key.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

Sort of, apart from having the current options for existing holds available on the first screen.

This is about the third or fourth time this has been suggested, and Toady, as far as I know, will implement a better menu, eventually. It doesn't hurt to give him ideas on how to lay it out.

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:12 am »

I'm surprized ToadyOne hasn't already implemented this yet, its probably going to be don under the combat ark.

However after checking the Desighn notes ther eis nothing on this, soToadyOne might just need a reminer.

The diversity of the Wrestling system is ruined by the incoherentness of the system.

Untill this is done, just so you know you can use * and / to scroll across faster.
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:45:49 am »

i'd like to propose my own version of the wrestling interface.

click
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 02:38:38 pm »

I'm surprized ToadyOne hasn't already implemented this yet, its probably going to be don under the combat ark.

However after checking the Desighn notes ther eis nothing on this, soToadyOne might just need a reminer.

The diversity of the Wrestling system is ruined by the incoherentness of the system.

Untill this is done, just so you know you can use * and / to scroll across faster.

Should be done when toady gets into the combat arc, specially since its planned to allow combatants to be able to target certain parts with their weapon aswell, though i think some limits should be implemented aswell, like, in wrestling you have to grab a part before doing anything special, and implementing this on armed combat aswell would make it ridiculously overpowered (ie aim to the head).

Maybe making weapon skills not only increase your damage, but nescessary to enable aiming at certain parts?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 03:05:55 pm »

V.A.T.S.

That is all.
Computer says 'No'.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »

VATS was a chunky system in my opinion, but did allow for that targeted aiming.

Anyways, the biggest thing is the implementation of the location of body part. IE an arrow and take out 2 eyes, a foot and a hand.

Well I did have more to that, but someone came and started talking to me and totally killed my train of thought... /evilthoughts
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!