Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Those thoughtless Dwarfs  (Read 1966 times)

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those thoughtless Dwarfs
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:34:27 pm »

I just got a message, Rimtar Alathrimtar has, Planter has bled to death.

I thought crap... something must have got through my defenses again but no... Rimtar was safe in the middle of my residential area... the walls of his room are soaked in blood. It appears that he'd been wounded sometime ago in an early siege and had been slowly healing... with a wicked barbed goblin iron arrow lodged somewhere in his body...
I had gone through the stocks screen and given a blanket order to melt all iron arrows...
Some poor smelter seems to have ripped it out of him and then run off...

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Those thoughtless Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:36:46 pm »

Darn. We're out of ammunition...

Oh, hey, never mind! Here's some!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:40:30 pm »

They should have just sparred him the misery and thrown him into the furnace as well. Would have added his dwarfy magic to the ore within.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:52:49 pm »

I didn't even realise this could happen. That's hilarious.

"Oh, hey! I see you're on the mend. Anyway, I need that arrow."

*Horrible tearing sounds*

"Thanks!"

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:04:33 pm »

Yeah... It's made me very careful now... I'm going through my injured dwarfs looking for more that this might happen to... I've found one poor champion, Litast Boltlances, who ironically has had his head lanced by an arrow... his head injury has healed, though his brain, neck and arm have a way to go...
Poor chap... if he gets in a wrestling match it might get pulled out...

(Iron arrow), Stuck in Head

Should I forbid it... or just unmark it for melting?
He Worships ònul, goddess of nightmares...

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:15:32 pm »

Holy crap, that's awesome.

Forbid it, and wait, and hope he recovers.
Then you've got a veteran soldier with an arrow through his skull.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:27:48 pm »

Urist, that's the worst joke prop ever.

Urist McArrowhead: What prop?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:02:55 pm »

Just a note, the brain will never heal. If it's broken or mangled, your dwarf will spend the rest of his life in bed. If he can still move, he will never spar again.

I think the neck falls under the nervous system as well, if so, it won't heal either.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:34:44 pm »

He'll never spar again, but if he can move, he can train with a crossbow.

Just make sure he doesn't run out of arrows and go looking for one.  = P

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »

OK... And he's dead...

Litast Boltlanced Boltlances is dead... Rith Handlegorge the Still Fragrance now commands the squad, "The Cremated Planks".
I paused as soon as the death message popped up and checked his room out... he's dead... the arrow is still forbidden... and now lies on the bloody bed... there, standing over the gruesome scene is, Rith... Rith was Litast's only friend ... all others in the fortress were mere passing acquaintances...
At first I thought that perhaps Rith had murdered her friend, maybe to gain control of the squad, or merely through incompetent medical care... but standing in the door of Litast's room is Ineth Glazedbastion The Lesson of Yawning, a Guard... She has been ecstatic lately, she made a satisfying acquisition lately, she took joy in slaughter lately ... she beat somebody recently... and most importantly listed in her 9 kills: Litast Boltlances the dwarf, d. 211

Tracing back things as well as I can, through the relationship screen to get to the now dead dwarf's final thoughts and words, and through the justice screen ... Litast had recently been blamed for the failure of the Barons production order, but he was relieved to find out that his sentence would be reduced... from what, to what history does not record. While he rested his broken arm, bruised brain and neck in bed, talking to his only friend and second in command of his squad... the guard came in and beat him to death as a example to the other dwarfs... The guard was unarmed and a Legendary Wrestler (former Cheese Maker) but Litast was also an impressive fighter... Superdwarvenly tough and in armor. Should a simple beating have killed him? Did the Guard rip out the Iron arrow stuck in his head? We may never know...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 09:58:41 pm »

OK... And he's dead...

Litast Boltlanced Boltlances is dead... Rith Handlegorge the Still Fragrance now commands the squad, "The Cremated Planks".
I paused as soon as the death message popped up and checked his room out... he's dead... the arrow is still forbidden... and now lies on the bloody bed... there, standing over the gruesome scene is, Rith... Rith was Litast's only friend ... all others in the fortress were mere passing acquaintances...
At first I thought that perhaps Rith had murdered her friend, maybe to gain control of the squad, or merely through incompetent medical care... but standing in the door of Litast's room is Ineth Glazedbastion The Lesson of Yawning, a Guard... She has been ecstatic lately, she made a satisfying acquisition lately, she took joy in slaughter lately ... she beat somebody recently... and most importantly listed in her 9 kills: Litast Boltlances the dwarf, d. 211

Tracing back things as well as I can, through the relationship screen to get to the now dead dwarf's final thoughts and words, and through the justice screen ... Litast had recently been blamed for the failure of the Barons production order, but he was relieved to find out that his sentence would be reduced... from what, to what history does not record. While he rested his broken arm, bruised brain and neck in bed, talking to his only friend and second in command of his squad... the guard came in and beat him to death as a example to the other dwarfs... The guard was unarmed and a Legendary Wrestler (former Cheese Maker) but Litast was also an impressive fighter... Superdwarvenly tough and in armor. Should a simple beating have killed him? Did the Guard rip out the Iron arrow stuck in his head? We may never know...

Dang. That punishment system for mandates really needs to be worked out.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:16 am »

Dang. That punishment system for mandates really needs to be worked out.

Or does it...? Where else can you get this kind of entertainment? When I tell people about Dwarf Fortress who have never played, the hammerer always gets a laugh.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:20:22 am »

The hammerer also seems to be the noble most likely to have an unfortunate accident. At least in my forts.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33:27 am »

I always had enough chains for justice that it was never a problem.

Then again nobles who made unreasonable demands always had an "unfortunate" accident.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 09:38:34 am »

I think your problem is the opposite of what you think. With the arrow stuck in his head the wound can never really heal and he'll just keep bleeding. Designate stuck arrows for dumping so they get pulled out asap.

From the wiki
Arrows and bolts can become stuck in limbs, showing up in the wounded dwarf's inventory. This prevents the wound from healing. Like other shot ammo, it will initially be in forbidden state, so to heal the wound you must claim the stuck missile and mark it for dumping. Whenever a wounded dwarf moves to a bed to rest, be sure and check his inventory for stuck items so he can heal.
Pages: [1] 2