Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh, carp!  (Read 1958 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, carp!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 07:18:58 pm »

orbital magma cannons are overrated

seriously, do you know how hard it is to pump all that magma up a shaft to the 10th z level? screw that, do you know how long it takes to even construct the damn thing? :P

Three years, in a roughly 80-dwarf population-capped fort. The guy talking about fifteen has either never tried it or is an incompetent engineer.
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-18359-magmasystemconstruction
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-14374-themagnificentmagmatowers

Also, this is why I like to make sure the only path to the artifact vault goes through the main meeting area and the main booze stockpile, and is full of dogs.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 07:33:15 pm »

Arrgg!  A kobold has sneaked into my barracks while my soldiers were getting a drink and stolen my artifact crossbow!    :o

You know I've never seen a real-life barracks where they just have some beds and a big pile of weapons lying on the ground for anyone to walk up and take.  They usually have some kind of *cough* WALL around them, with *cough* GUARD DOGS near the entrance.

;)

Normally I design my fortresses so thieves have to get past dogs, the barracks, and possibly a meeting area for before they reach any stockpiles.  Before this, I hadn't had any thefts for months.  I guess I just got careless with this one (I forgot to bring any spare ropes, so couldn't tether a dog in the entrance). 

In other news, the curse of this fortress has struck again: a migrant peasant (dabbling mechanic) that I'd set to build a pump got trapped in my aqueduct between the pump and the river, and became thristy and starving before I noticed and got him out.  This, plus a miasma, made him very unhappy, causing him to tantrum, smash up my wood burner, go to complain to my mayor, and then beat the mayor to death.

For some reason, this peasant is now refusing to do any mechanics jobs (he's my only surviving mechanic - the mayor, who was one of my original seven, was my main mechanic), so I can't even build a proper execution chamber for him.

(Other casulties from this site include a farmer who got killed by carp in the first month of the settlement, a migrant wave that walked too close to the river and lost three members to a carp - who now has a name, and a recent goblin ambush (2 squads) that killed my legendary stonecrafter and three other dwarves).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 08:24:50 pm »

Wow, sounds like Fun. . . I'm sorry.

Personally I enjoy that we can now set stockpiles to have a minimum/maximum item quality. I make a weapon / armor / anything stockpile that only accepts Artifacts and make it severely guarded. Like, out-of-the-way tunnel with guard dogs, traps, and many doors.

Also useful for making a weapon and armor stockpile that only accepts metal items of inferior grade, and a weapon / armor stockpile that only accepts way above-average items. Nice for when you get a legendary armorer / weaponsmith and he starts cranking out the good stuff, and it's time to melt down the old stuff / invader stuff.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:19 am »

The saga continues:

A longnose gar, who now goes by the name of Imeshsatneng, caught two of my fisherdwarves within minutes of each other, and litterally ripped them to shreds.

The riverbed is now strewn with one dwarf corpse, one dwarf head, one lower leg, one upper arm, and 34 dwarf chunks.

(I've also just noticed that one of the victims was wearing longnose gar leather trousers.  Maybe that's what provoked the fish's wrath).

Edited: and I've just lost another fisherdwarf to carp, minutes after the previous incidents.  Fun :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:39:21 am by Iapetus »
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 10:16:55 pm »

I've also just noticed that one of the victims was wearing longnose gar leather trousers.  Maybe that's what provoked the fish's wrath.

Fish are just constantly pissed off. Don't worry, it's nothing you did.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 [2]