Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spoily question  (Read 900 times)

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spoily question
« on: September 14, 2009, 04:49:12 pm »

Sorry if this has been asked before...a few searches didn't net anything, except for a bit more confusion.

Spoilers below....(although they're pretty obvious).

So I finally found the glowing pit I was looking for.

How long til the demons show up?  *Do* demons still show up, in 40d?  Do they come directly out of the bottom tile of the map?  Do I need to excavate the bottom area and build stairs to give them a direct path to my fortress, or can they float up the well-like structure, and get in where I first broke into the pit?

CanNOT wait to try all my fighters against them.  I walled the pit right up the second I found it, and then dragged all my champions etc. down and locked them in the room, and then unwalled it.  Waiting for demons, and everyone's getting thirsty...

Thanks for any answers!!!!!

Plus....loving 40d16.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Re: Spoily question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:09:34 pm »

In my experience they are normally there instantly, say less than a second before my miner has been burnt to a crisp and military actions of all sorts are loosed upon the pit.

Then shortly later you can find my fortress self destructing in a spiral of death and destruction.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:15:01 pm »

Demons start out stealthed. It can take a few minutes for one to run into your soldiers. YOu can try marching your victims into the pit and see what they find. Good luck :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:40:24 pm »

Hmmmmm...something might be wrong, then.

I *did* succeed in sealing up the pit, very quickly; it was with an unbelievably agile miner or somesuch.

But I then assembled the troops, locked them in, and had the miner open another hole...and then, after waiting a bit, even had him dig a stairwell downwards from the level where I'd found the vertical structure, and make an inviting path up from right *next* to a glowing pit tile at the bottom.  (Maybe that's not enough?)

Still no demons. :(  I think I can take them.  I *do* have forbidden doors between me and the demons; but the demons can pathfind to me, through those doors, right, since they are BD:2?

So, final questions, to reiterate.

1) Do I need something more than the following to invite the demons up?  ...<.# (looking down, on the very bottom level, such that # says "eerie glowing pit", not open space)

2) Can demons pathfind through forbidden doors?

3) Do I normally have to wait, like, five minutes for the nasties?  Or more?  Or less?

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »

You may want to open the doors just incase. I don't have to much experience playing around with the demons though.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:51:05 pm »

2) Can demons pathfind through forbidden doors?

I believe (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me) that BD2s will, rather than pathfind THROUGH the door, instead pathfind TO the door and beat the crap out of it.

After that the door doesn't really have much of an effect on their pathfinding.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:26:11 pm »

Well, if they usually come quickly, then something's wrong with my game.

Everyone is locked in a room, dehydrated and starving.

I'm about to wall up the room again, let everyone take a break to refill their waterskins etc., and maybe try the waiting game again.

If that doesn't work, I'll just go about my business, and wait till the demons come, without any preparations to stop them.  We'll see how my fighters respond THEN.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:07:47 pm »

Since you say you found the pit, I'll assume you didn't use reveal, since reveal will break the pit and prevent the demons from ever spawning.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:10:09 pm »

I'll just mention that if you want spoiler tags since everything else has been said, put the tags like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote this post to see the tags, or just replace the {} with [] in this

{spoiler}spoiler goes here{/spoiler}
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:21:34 pm »

Yeah, I'd assume reveal was used to locate the pit in this instance. Demons normally spawn very quickly after the pit is breached.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:25:29 pm »

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

I let the peeps out for bathroom breaks, and just a few of them went at a time, so I was waiting with baited breath to see if I had sufficient resources to beat back the evillies when they came.

But no one ever came.

I didn't use reveal----I painstakingly excavating half the damn map.  I actually am on a mac, and I don't even think reveal works on mac.

And now I have nothing for it.  Just a bunch of cages and crappy ol' adamantine.  When I wanted, and deserved, *DEmons*.

I'm using 40d16---is there some issue about 16?  Do demons not work on macs?  Is something else broken?...?  Anything else at all I can check to make the buggers come?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 07:57:08 pm »

Your experience puzzles me. The demons should come. It's unlikely that the version (40d16) breaks the demons, since it only adresses the graphical part of the game, and not the gameplay part.
I don't know if demons will path to a locked door if the door was locked before the pits are breached however.
I do remember trolls, coming along with goblin sieges. They have the buildingdestroyer ability, however, they sit still on the edge of the map if your doors are locked before unpausing the game, after the '' a vile force of darkness has arrived' message. Reason for this is, siegers try to path to a dwarf / the inside of the fortress. If there's no path (because it is blocked by a locked door), they won't start moving. I thought that that was fixed some releases ago however, but I could be wrong.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 08:19:00 pm »

If you have sent dorfs down to the level filled with insane slaves and such, and still have no clowns, I would assume your map is broken, best way to make sure this isn't a problem with your copy of the game is to start a new fortress on another site, note the location of the circus tent(:D) from the embark map, and go for it that way, if clowns show up to make you happy, yay!

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:13:30 pm »

Ah....do I need to hit the slaves level, or will any level do?  I will dig to the slaves level.  I assumed they spawned out of the pit, like antmen, and then came up and attacked from that direction.

I definitely had a clean path to my dorfies.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:43:51 pm »

I shd note also, for anyone who may follow in my path, that I assumed the slave pits were at the very bottom, or were the only part of the glowing pits.  But there's a chimney emanating from the bottom glowing pit, heading upwards, and then culminating in the slave gallery.

Trying the slave gallery now!!!

Doom or glory await!
Pages: [1] 2