Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How votes work (since I can't delete this poll, I'll use it for something better)

You may only vote for a specific story/game once.
You may vote on as many story/games as you want, as long as you're honest.
A story/game will be added once 6 people vote for it. The number is subject to change.
Once listed, a story/game may be removed by no less than 10 votes. It's doubtful this will occur.
Make sure you don't just vote because it's a person you like writing! Quality is a must.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 270561 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2009, 02:18:48 pm »

You mean she grows up into Urist?

That would actually be a pretty epic continuity tie-in. And it'd explain why she's insane/

I recall some talk about that during the telling of the story, but nothing came of it.

Kugu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2009, 06:33:52 pm »

You mean she grows up into Urist?

That would actually be a pretty epic continuity tie-in. And it'd explain why she's insane/

I recall some talk about that during the telling of the story, but nothing came of it.

It would make for an Epic addon to an already Epic story. I'm just going to go ahead and pretend thats how it actually went so I dont have to make up anything.
Quote: "Okay, got it, how do i brew beds."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends (vote for a story you think should be here!)
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2009, 01:40:58 am »

I think Cacame is well and truly in.

EDIT: Instead of Incomplete and Complete - could you please put Community/Succession/Stories, with complete and incomplete as sub-headings? I just find it hard to navigate.

Good idea.

But you still haven't done it...

Hey, this place has Internet. What I did was what you see on the front page now and Tack said it worked too. Since he was the only one interested I didn't change it. I made a mistake that worked out but if you want the change, provide a sample so I don't muck up again. And, since i'm using my ipod, don't expect changes until the 7th at the very, very earliest.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2009, 03:01:45 pm »

I'd like to put in a vote for Lanternwebs. While it isn't as chaotic/failtacular/funny as most of the other forts, the writing's just brilliant.

Has anyone else voted for it?
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2009, 06:13:18 pm »

Hey, this place has Internet. What I did was what you see on the front page now and Tack said it worked too. Since he was the only one interested I didn't change it. I made a mistake that worked out but if you want the change, provide a sample so I don't muck up again. And, since i'm using my ipod, don't expect changes until the 7th at the very, very earliest.
Okey Dokey.

Main changes:
Sections for Succession games, Community Fortresses, Stories, Epic Fortresses, and Forum Games.
-Succession Games are forts where control of the fort is passed between players.
-Community Forts are where one person controls the fort and people can influence the fort in some way (this is usually having players request having a dwarf with a certain profession named after them).
-Stories are stories told by one person, and don't have to be played out in Dwarf Fortress.
-Epic Forts are fortresses where the main focus is the architecture.
-Forum Games are games played via the forums. They are to Stories as Community/Succession Games are to DF. (Does this make sense?)
Each section has the subsections "Finished/Abandoned" and "Active". The person hosting the community fort/telling the story/whose turn it is has to have posted in the thread a minimum of a month ago for it to be considered active.
Fixed some links

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was thinking of having a Legendary Legends section, for interesting tales created by the game. This would include Tholtig Cryptbrain and Cacame, but the Cacame entry also includes some stories, so I put them in that section instead.

I think the Stories section should be cut down a little.

Also, there have been 4 more SparkGears. Should those also be listed?

EDIT: Most Interesting Dwarf in the World moved to Active.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:02:31 am by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »

Okay, I'll do that. As for the Sparkgears, they are individually voted for, though most people all vote for them at the same time. I'll add more if people vote for them as well.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2010, 07:45:40 am »

I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2010, 12:01:32 pm »

Vote +1!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2010, 01:18:18 pm »

Oh wow, this is an old story, I was gonna call shenanigans on it, having read an almost identical story from tvtropes many months ago, but it turns out it was the exact same one, only shortened (now that I finally managed to dig it up as it isn't on the Dwarf Fortress page anymore):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still there's the small voice saying that this is too unlikely to happen and it was just thought up, but I can't say it isn't a great story.

EDIT: Oh wait, that thread is from June.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:23:17 pm by LASD »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2010, 09:41:22 pm »

votes++;
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2010, 07:36:24 pm »

Oh, I hadn't realized Lanternwebs wasn't already on there. +1 for the death of the goblin in the last page or so.

Also, there are numerous problems with the /tg/ one. The names of the dwarves except that of Sil are not in the Dwarf language file. Frog demons are trap-immune. Goblin sieges cannot be led by cyclopes.

Although, in theory some of these things can be attributed to horrible memory and the narrator's telling the game as he remembered it being played, rather than playing it himself and having the save-file as reference. The names of the dwarves could be random nicknaming. The fact that the demon is called Ashmalice rather than something like Zedan Ashmalice the Dusk of Midnights could be due to the narrator's remembering of only a part of his name.

Also, the map in the story is enviable: magma, ocean (and sand), bottomless pit and chasm, HFS, and enough rock to carve out a deep fortress without a significant aquifer...

It's nonetheless an excellent piece of storytelling.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:26:43 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »

Oh, I hadn't realized Lanternwebs wasn't already on there. +1 for the death of the goblin in the last page or so.

Also, there are numerous problems with the /tg/ one. The names of the dwarves except that of Sil are not in the Dwarf language file. Frog demons are trap-immune. Goblin sieges cannot be led by cyclopes.

Although, in theory some of these things can be attributed to horrible memory and the narrator's telling the game as he remembered it being played, rather than playing it himself and having the save-file as reference. The names of the dwarves could be random nicknaming. The fact that the demon is called Ashmalice rather than something like Zedan Ashmalice the Dusk of Midnights could be due to the narrator's remembering of only a part of his name.

Also, the map in the story is enviable: magma, ocean (and sand), bottomless pit and chasm, HFS, and enough rock to carve out a deep fortress without a significant aquifer...

It's nonetheless and excellent piece of storytelling.
It may also be a combination of that and that the person has not played much/any DF and/or doesn't know much about it.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2010, 08:32:55 am »

Thank you, Sizik.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »

Jackrabbit, here's a synopsis for the Rise of the Fahlstrom clan. I'd sent one to Jamini back when she was running the thread but it never got posted.

"A story about the rise to power of a small clan at the end of the world and the beginning of a new age. When a group sets out to worship a goddess of death in a terrifying wilderness and establish their place of worship all sorts of bad things can happen. Including attacks by the unicorn riding avar! (winged humans from Legendary Lands) Read the story where Chaos and Order battle and where ties to Family and Clan override the ties to the Kingdom."
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2010, 05:54:05 pm »

A-thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30