Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building / Fortress templates for building  (Read 445 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building / Fortress templates for building
« on: September 14, 2009, 01:32:12 am »

It might have been mentioned before, I've seen people use other programs that make macros to punch out designations and the like, but what about being able to designate more than a single strip of wall or section of floor? What I'm talking about is, for example, someone designs a two story cabin which is comprised of as pre-set designations for floors and walls. Slap one down and the respective builders will go to work. I know many people probably like designing their own designs from scratch but isnt the designation of every single strip of wall and section of floor a bit tedious? The order in which builders choose to build is a bit sketchy. thinking about it, this wouldnt work for mutilevel constructions ( because the higher levels count on access to materials in order to be placed ), but is there a reason you couldnt force it to designate 'potential' constructions in the same way you can designate places to mine which arent used until you mine right up to them. I guess where I'm coming from would be a way to help shortcut fine construction for buildings and fortress layouts ( for example, a macro that designates the floorplan of your favourite workshop layouts, or kitchen #3 with stockpile layout )......wishful thinking? at best it helps newbie players achieve some sort of building consistency, and at worst, a technique for the more advanced players to scoff at and mock.......

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building / Fortress templates for building
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:56:52 am »

It's been suggested before.

One of the issues is that if you're building every fortress the same way, there's a problem, and future underground features will be dense enough that planning more than a 5x5 square at a time is likely to be broken by finding a cave or something.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building / Fortress templates for building
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 02:06:34 pm »

this has already been discussed at length here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39304.0

feel free to comment of course.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz