Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wagon Movement on Steep Grades  (Read 2145 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Wagon Movement on Steep Grades
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:35 pm »

Wagons currently go up a ramp pretty easily. In fact, they would go up series of ramps right next to each other.
Consider what it really looks like. Assuming that a tile is twice as wide as it is tall, you'd be facing a 15% angle to push those wagons up each step. That's a 25% grade. That assumes that for every 2 feet to the side that a tile is, it is only 1 foot tall. Now naturally we don't have real figures, but it feels more like a 1:1 ratio to me. That's a 45% angle. Wagons climbing a 45% angle would quickly wear out the animals, and couldn't have certain weights in it. So, to make it simple, how about making wagons not able to go up a slope unless it has a long enough landing. That way, Wagons aren't climbing the kinds of paths that humans wouldn't even take, and winding mountain roads would have value to be built even by players.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wagon Movement on Steep Grades
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:50:14 pm »

Actually, tiles are closer to three times taller than they are wide.

And it's not supposed to make sense, but it's the only representation we have right now.  Either something is 6 feet higher up than it was, or it's not.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:25:19 am »

...Says who?

It's a good point, Kogan, but I think that they have enough space if you consider how large the path has to be for the wagon in the first place.  Mutlitile stuff is just totally undefined at the moment.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:09:55 am »

...Says who?

Has to do with the most accurate method of measuring the size of the tile: Water.

1 tile holds up to 7 water.  When a bucket is filled for a sick dwarf, it takes 1 of that water and turns it into 10 drinkable water units.  Based on how much water a human drinks in a day, and some math, we come up with a volume of about 40 cubic feet.

2.5 * 2.5 * 6.25 = 39.06
2.5 * 2.5 * 6.5 = 40.625

Which gives us a square tile and approximate thickness, where the size of the tile can reasonably hold "one" creature (standing), this does however make tiles 2 and a half times as tall as they are wide (or slightly better), which is much steeper than your assumed twice as wide as they are tall to as tall as they are wide.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:50 am »

Good grief dude....

A tile will hold a game appropriate amount of game stuff.

You're making it sound like somebody sat down and balanced this crap out.

Threlicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:55:22 pm »

1 tile holds up to 7 water.  When a bucket is filled for a sick dwarf, it takes 1 of that water and turns it into 10 drinkable water units.  Based on how much water a human drinks in a day, and some math, we come up with a volume of about 40 cubic feet.

Of course, by that logic, 1 bucket of water has a volume of not quite 6 cubic feet, or about 44 gallons, which would weigh 375 pounds. That's closer to a bathtub than a bucket.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:58:46 pm by Threlicus »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 02:19:40 pm »

Just remember that even light slopes have to be modeled in these big steps. A slope in DF doesn't have to be 15% or steeper, it can be just a weak 5% or something like that. Imagine the landscape slowly rises until it accumulates enough of height difference that the game puts a slope in.

Er... is it understandable?

Anyway, I still agree that the uphill movement needs to be slowed down somehow. And not only the wagons, but also creatures - that presently run up and down a hill with ease.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:22:32 pm »

Er... is it understandable?

I think so... You're saying look at the ramps like you would a topography map, where a line isn't +10 feet so much as the border between 19 feet 11 inches and 20 feet,  where the slope is the density of the lines... Right?

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 02:51:11 pm »

Yeah, basically there are more minor ramps you can't see.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »

Yep, no change needed. I think continuous ramps should cause slowing down or exhaustion, just so that we can put in those mott and bailey style fortresses. Digging out huge channels at the moment is only good for flooding with water, but loads of places had trenches and ramps to exhaust and slow enemies. I guess I'm more for tiredness on ramps rather than slowness.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 03:48:15 pm »

Good grief dude....

A tile will hold a game appropriate amount of game stuff.

You're making it sound like somebody sat down and balanced this crap out.

It wasn't me.  Someone else did the math.  You are correct however, in that the only thing that has a limited capacity to fit into a single tile is magma and water.  Everything else just fits (and the tile still holds the same amount of water).

Of course, by that logic, 1 bucket of water has a volume of not quite 6 cubic feet, or about 44 gallons, which would weigh 375 pounds. That's closer to a bathtub than a bucket.

THAT SOUNDS DWARVISH TO ME.
As silly as it is, that would be how the math works out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 03:50:04 pm »

Which of course creates a paradox when applies to bridges.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 07:28:02 pm »

And the fact that tile can hold an infinite number of objects, memory allowing.  Unless you have Toady quoted as saying that each tile is 6.5 ft tall, I'm placing that number in with fanfictions.  Humorous, but no bearing on canon.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:25:06 pm »

I think ramps should come in different lengths (and be directional), such that a dwarf can easily climb a 1-time ramp, but a caravan would need 3-tiles or more.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:14 pm »

I think ramps should come in different lengths (and be directional), such that a dwarf can easily climb a 1-time ramp, but a caravan would need 3-tiles or more.

That would make ramps on corners, which you would most definitely need, incredibly complicated.
Pages: [1] 2