Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What happens if I fill a magma tube higher than its normal height?  (Read 2001 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happens if I fill a magma tube higher than its normal height?
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:34:12 pm »

I found a map that has an open magma tube, but there's also a naturally occurring circular wall 3+ Z-levels high all the way around it.  I know that if I drain the tube, it will slowly refill to its original height, but what will happen if I pump EXTRA magma in to it in an attempt to fill the basin?  Will it sink back down the tube, or will the level stay up?

Of course to get the magma in the first place I'll have to pump from a level lower down in the tube, so maybe I'll just be shuffling the same material around.  What I'm expecting to happen, however, is that I'll pump underground from a column of magma that I know to be blocked above, removing the magma won't be dropping the column above it, but will hopefully be refilled from the bottom of that column.  Is that how it would work?

Edit:  I should mention that I'm intending to pump the magma up to a higher Z level first, and then drop it on top of the volcano from up in the air.  I'm not intending to try to pressurize the tube.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:46:27 pm by denito »
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if I fill a magma tube higher than its normal height?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:52:28 pm »

You can make the tube "taller" by pumping into a cistern, waiting for the pipe to naturally refill, and then pumping the cistern's contents back onto the pipe. The pumped magma will simply "sit" on top of the pipe's surface; it won't sink back down.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:17:30 pm »

What you've found, by the way, is the Mysterious Vanishing Magma Pipe. Sometimes Magma Pipes just decide that their top few Z levels shall just not have any magma in them.

Also, i'm not certain, but i think filling it up might actually cause the new magma level to become the 'top' of the pipe.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »

Are you sure? Because if so that would be AWESOME.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »

Like i said, i'm not sure. I know if you take a Bottomless Pit and replace all the Chasm tiles with Magma Source tiles, then fill up the Bottomless Pit with magma it will actually turn into a Magma Pipe and fill up to the level you filled it with Magma. Futhermore i also had an accident when i artificially extended a magma pipe using walls because i was bored and suddenly magma'd the entire map when magma started spawning at the top of the now extended pipe.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:24:08 pm »

Just out of curiously, did you use a utility to change the chasm tiles or did you do it in game? Since, naturally, the latter would be cool.

I've had the magma-overflow happen too, when I reclaimed a site. Magma just started flowing out of the top. Never had it happen any other time, though...

Though hasn't Toady said he intends to make volcanoes more unstable in the future?

So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:23:52 pm »

Also, i'm not certain, but i think filling it up might actually cause the new magma level to become the 'top' of the pipe.

Sweet Armok, that would be amazing.

Someone please set up an experiment, I don't have the time to do it nowadays.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 07:31:02 pm »

Just out of curiously, did you use a utility to change the chasm tiles or did you do it in game? Since, naturally, the latter would be cool.

I've had the magma-overflow happen too, when I reclaimed a site. Magma just started flowing out of the top. Never had it happen any other time, though...

Though hasn't Toady said he intends to make volcanoes more unstable in the future?

You can use, uh, Tweak i think it is. Or something, one of the utilities allows you to change tiles.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:53:10 pm »

I might have lost the save game where I had this - I have a bunch of folders floating around and between save-scumming to test (bad) ideas and moving between computers I can't remember what folder is what.  But it might be in my git repository history (I put my dwarf fortress folder under git source control; I can back it up, transfer it between computers, and save scum all through git.) Or at least the world where I embarked here exists in the repo history.  I was going to stop playing on this world because this was the same buggy one that insisted pyrite is a prerequisite to burning lignite!

If it is true that raising the magma can change the default level, and if it is true that constructed walls can work here, then this would be an exciting development because you wouldn't need to find a naturally sunk tube; you could construct a tube that rises many Z-levels up and fill the magma up sky high.  I think you guys can think of a lot of ways that would be useful!

I don't actually expect this to work, but it would be worth experimenting on.  Ugh, do homework, or play dwarf fortress?  Decisions decisions...  No!  Bad Dennis!  Must do homework!  Due tomorrow!

I'll let you guys know if I end up having time to test this later.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:55:07 pm by denito »

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 11:55:27 am »

Well after a bit too much Fun with fire imps I was forced to abandon and reclaim the fortress.  When I reclaimed, I arrived to find the volcano "erupting"!  That is, it filled back up to the top of the tube.  Good thing I didn't mine all the way through the wall last time!  And good thing I put my fortress entrance up high...

Edit:  Oh, my...  One side of the magma tube is naturally lower than the other; I assumed it would stop at the *lower* height, but it's rising up to the *higher* side.  I may have a permanently flowing volcano on my map!  Bad ass!  Though, I better get all my dwarves inside before it sets the world on fire...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:25:06 pm by denito »

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 03:40:52 pm »

What you've found, by the way, is the Mysterious Vanishing Magma Pipe. Sometimes Magma Pipes just decide that their top few Z levels shall just not have any magma in them.

Mysterious Vanishing Magma Pipe?

I figured it was intentional and justified, since in real life, magma in volcanic vents only rarely rises all the way to the surface. Most volcanoes, even active ones, have a long empty-air portion above the live magma.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 07:00:57 pm »

I coined 'Mysterious Vanishing X' awhile back when i discovered UG Pools would sometimes just randomly decide to not have any water in them. Turns out it also sometimes happens to Magma pools and pipes.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 07:52:49 pm »

I figured it was intentional and justified, since in real life, magma in volcanic vents only rarely rises all the way to the surface. Most volcanoes, even active ones, have a long empty-air portion above the live magma.

Well I don't know but it certainly doesn't have any empty air left in it now!   In fact, neither does an entire mountain side where it spilled out into!  Too bad lava doesn't flow off the edge of the map...

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 10:35:01 pm »

Well I don't know but it certainly doesn't have any empty air left in it now!   In fact, neither does an entire mountain side where it spilled out into!  Too bad Good thing lava doesn't flow off the edge of the map...

Fixed.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 03:38:49 am »

Well I don't know but it certainly doesn't have any empty air left in it now!   In fact, neither does an entire mountain side where it spilled out into!  Too bad Good thing lava doesn't flow off the edge of the map...

Fixed.

... well, no, it really is a bad thing. Since it means eventually, it'll cover the whole area. The FPS part aside, that'd mean no more caravans... or going outside. And all sieges would end instantly.

Doesn't sound like much fun. Well, aside from watching ASCII-represented spites burn to death.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.
Pages: [1] 2