Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Boiler power and desalinization  (Read 2990 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler power and desalinization
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 09:23:13 pm »

That said, I wouldn't disagree with requiring water to produce booze, most modern civs can't survive without a nearby source of water unless they pay a premium to have it imported (which would require technology not available in the DF age to do on a large scale).
...what?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_aqueduct
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 12:28:49 pm »

much like how only elves can make wooden gear

They don't dig underground.

I fully expect Toady to explain how dwarves deal with how hot, toxic, dense, and unstable magma is when he develops the magic arc

Wait what? Did you just Magic Arc it?

From what I remember Toady plans on making active volcanos and such actually dangerous and unstable. This is sooner then the magic arc.

What the magic arc deals with is magic spells, magical martial arts, expanding artifacts, and possibly other kinds of magic... but not Magma safety.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 12:50:32 pm »

I dunno, being able to use liquid hot magma for forging steel sounds like magic to me... <eg>

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 01:03:57 pm »

I dunno, being able to use liquid hot magma for forging steel sounds like magic to me... <eg>

Not everything magical is awaiting the magic arc. If it isn't spells it is a safe bet that it is going in before the Magic Arc.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 01:21:58 pm »

I suspect volcanoes will act differently from magma pools and magma pipes. 

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 12:06:47 am »

From what I remember Toady plans on making active volcanos and such actually dangerous and unstable. This is sooner then the magic arc.
Those are just additional challenges in specific situations.  None of those things, though, are going to make it harder to use a magma pool or a magma vent to forge things...  or to desalinate water.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 07:10:32 am »

None of those things, though, are going to make it harder to use a magma pool or a magma vent to forge things...  or to desalinate water

Unless... you know... there is an influx

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 10:07:44 am »

None of those things, though, are going to make it harder to use a magma pool or a magma vent to forge things...  or to desalinate water

Unless... you know... there is an influx

Or magma that isn't 'live' is dying...  If it's not connected to a live volcano with heat, it dries up, crusts and solidifies...
Pages: 1 2 [3]