Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma and built fortifications  (Read 593 times)

HazelrahBl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma and built fortifications
« on: September 13, 2009, 05:05:23 pm »

I was playing along with The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress and I'm currently working on magma pipes.  (Thanks so much for those btw!)

It talks about smoothing the stone and designating fortifications to keep nasty fire creatures from coming out of the magma pool.

I kind of messed up when making the pipes so I tried to just build the fortifications instead.  In the tutorial it states that if you 'k' over the fortification it should show up in the list, but it isn't showing up there.

Are fortifications only magma proof if you designate smoothed rock and not when you build them?

-Hazelrah
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:09:37 pm by HazelrahBl »

Sweedumz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma and built fortifications
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 05:09:08 pm »

I thought constructions were magma proof regardless of material. Are you sure you built it?

By the way, the tutorial features a magma pool, not a magama pipe. Basically, if you're not careful, that magma will run out. Use it wisely.

HazelrahBl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:15:08 pm »

Yeah, I built two of them in a row, waiting for one to be completed before requesting the second, so I'm quite certain they were built.

I'm doing my layout quite differently than the tutorial and in my first try I put too much pipe and found the problem of only trying to siphon the top.  So I went back a season and now have made a screw pump, and that's actually what I'm trying to set up.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:09:55 pm »

Constructed won't melt. Should work fine.

Really not a big problem unless there are still imps/other critters in the pipe.  Once they're gone (or if you're going to seal the end point, say, under a workshop's impassable tile), it's a pointless exercise.