Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flooding a room with magma; cook those above?  (Read 798 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flooding a room with magma; cook those above?
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:11:44 pm »

Ok so I have a 3 z level tall room, with a bridge going through the middle (so the second z-level).  My idea is to create two magma falls from the 3rd level with a drain on the bottom level to fill up the bottom level but keep the bridge (not an actual bridge, just stone that has had the bottom mined out) in tact and passible.

My concern though is that once the bottom pool fills up, will it then cook those walking across the top area?  I don't know how much heat radiates in this game so was a bit curious.

I'd do the 'try it' approach but magma takes so long to flow and drain off and this is quite a large room. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding a room with magma; cook those above?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 04:28:07 pm »

Magma has enough convection to melt ice above it but not enough to hurt dwarves(That's why crash2455's ice mod doesn't work with magma forges, but dwarves can still work in normal magma forges and walk over thin obsidian floors above magma pipes). Of course if they were surrounded below and above they might get slowly roasted to a delicious golden brown, though I don't think that's been tested.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:46:16 pm »

mmm...delish golden brown. 

Well I'd frame in my walk way and make it covered then flood the entire area with magma, but I think I'm going to have evaporation issues just trying to fill the first floor, much less all 3.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:06:12 pm »

If you can fill one floor, you can fill 3.  Magma only happens at the 1/7 stage (which is also 8/7, 15/7, etc.)  Try pumping for faster flow.

There have been testimonials of magma deconstructing wooden stuff that's immediately adjacent, but not "cooking" anything you care about.

Good to go, there, chef.  8)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »

Magma will destroy any wooden building (though constructions are magma-proof due to a coding placeholder), but will not hurt your dwarves. There have been reports that traders will burst into flame if they have to walk on "warm" ground for too long, so be careful about that (funny as hell, but not a good thing if you actually wanted what they brought you).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 08:37:27 pm »

Well this didnt' work any how.  The room is too large, the flow too slow, and there's no way I can make intermediate pools for sources based on how my fortress is designed around the room.  It may be making slooooow gains into the room, but unless there's a way to turn off evaporation (and that kinda defeats the purpose any how), I can't do it with my current set up.

Will stash it in my 'design for' brain section.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:51:14 am »

There have been reports that traders will burst into flame if they have to walk on "warm" ground for too long

Really? Where?  :o

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 03:12:46 am »

The wider your supply channel is, the faster it fills up. Especially magma is slow as fuck, so you need to either pump it in the beginning, or make a 2 or 3 wide channel.
You could, having no spare space, just shut down the flow, build a pump and put it back on. Fast magma on its way!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 03:42:02 am »

There have been reports that traders will burst into flame if they have to walk on "warm" ground for too long, so be careful about that (funny as hell, but not a good thing if you actually wanted what they brought you).

Liessss. Well, not the funny as hell part, but it's not the warm floor, it's ramps.

If you have something like:
Code: [Select]
      _
_____/M\___

With M as magma, of course, well... Wagons take up 3 tiles. So thanks to a programming quirk, when they traverse the ramp, the foward tiles will stick through the ramp into the magma. Voila, flaming caravans.

Ps. The rest of the caravans will run away when the first one catches fire, so if you want to burn them all, make it so that they traverse the ramps when leaving, not entering the map.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:03:34 pm by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:08 pm »

You could, having no spare space, just shut down the flow, build a pump and put it back on. Fast magma on its way!

How would I shut down the flow?  I'm tapping the source that feeds my magma forges (most local source) which I didn't floodgate prior (just a fortification to keep critters out). 

Expanding the flow might be an option however.  Gonna look bad with all the channels running from the floor above but I do believe I haven't touched that portion of the fort yet.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 02:05:54 pm »

just add water.

From above, preferrably, and from a water source, although you can make one with a pit/pond. regulate with a floodgate or drawbridge, there you go.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 03:24:52 pm »

Do believe that would be possible...in fact, I believe my water source is conveniently 1 z level above my magma source....may be on the same z though.  Will have to check later.