Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: MUDs Discussion Thread  (Read 11234 times)

Theq629

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: MUDs Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 02:22:40 pm »

I've been starting to try out MUDs, and after reading around a bit (including the previous MUD threads here), my initial list to try was Lost Souls, Discworld, Shattered Kingdoms, Accursed Lands, DartMUD, and maybe Armageddon. Lost Souls has apparently has been working towards getting rid of some of the standard D&D derived conventions. The underlying health system might still be HP, but it also has limbs damage.

I tried Aardwolf briefly because it was supposed to have an extensive newbie tutorial. It does, but I didn't find anything interesting beyond that. I gather it's aimed at people playing just for the sake of MUDing rather than for anything like role playing or a consistent world style, so it wasn't what I was after.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:11:48 am by Theq629 »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 03:40:50 pm »

Hmm tried out discworld and to be honest I'm not to impressed. The commands are even more anal than hellmoo (like in discworld you can't just abreviate the item you have to pretty much type it out). I'll probably try to play it a bit more later but as of right now not to impressed.

Um, you can abbreviate in any Mu*, its tricky. You have to type enough of the item, or the command distinctive from all the other commands or items.

Generally, when a command is typed, they check your person, your room, your zone, then globals.

For Hellmoo, it seems like none of the commands work like that, so that might be something for the code base, however it does work for items.

For instance, at the crack mansion, you can attack them by just attack crack (Assuming you have no crack in your inventory).
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 04:30:53 pm »

Hmm tried out discworld and to be honest I'm not to impressed. The commands are even more anal than hellmoo (like in discworld you can't just abreviate the item you have to pretty much type it out). I'll probably try to play it a bit more later but as of right now not to impressed.

Um, you can abbreviate in any Mu*, its tricky. You have to type enough of the item, or the command distinctive from all the other commands or items.

Generally, when a command is typed, they check your person, your room, your zone, then globals.

For Hellmoo, it seems like none of the commands work like that, so that might be something for the code base, however it does work for items.

For instance, at the crack mansion, you can attack them by just attack crack (Assuming you have no crack in your inventory).
ya I'm use to the way hellmoo commands are, while syntax might not be easy to grasp you dont really need to type out whole words unless there are similar words in the same tile, like typing kill crack (technecally they should be called crankheads since they do crank) or to get a bottle on the ground i could type get bot.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 08:12:53 am »

Nounwise[1], yes/no.  Full (inserted-edit: by which I mean "full-enough")words, of course, but "jacket" instead of "studded leather jacket" should work.  Unless it mistakes your shorthand for something else.

Where you tend to get problems is if you try to attack a "thin man" (having made sure he's not a Guild enforcer/some other NPC you really don't want to attack) and "kill man", only to have that interpreted as meaning the man that is (fully described as) a "fat priest" of Sandelfon, or whatever, when you happen to be allergic to being teleported into Endless Halls, or otherwise wouldn't want to fight them.

But then that's a human interface things, and a good argument for not abbreviating what you can type in.  Unless you set up aliases to "k tm" => kill thin man" or something, in which case that's your responsibility.  Not sure how much looser you would want a parser.  It's bad enough when you drop and bury the wrong backpack because you didn't set "keep" on it. :)

[1] i.e. other than this you can "l thing" instead of "look at thing", and "ex thing" instead of "examine thing".  And when referencing the skills tree "crafts.smithing.black" can be described as "cr.sm.bl" (though with "cr.poi" and "cr.pot" would be needed for points and pottery suboptions of that tree, to make sure you're not learning/teaching the other one, whichever is the default interpretation of "cr.po", I forget).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:26:22 am by Starver »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 09:09:20 am »

Nounwise[1], yes/no.  Full (inserted-edit: by which I mean "full-enough")words, of course, but "jacket" instead of "studded leather jacket" should work.  Unless it mistakes your shorthand for something else.

Where you tend to get problems is if you try to attack a "thin man" (having made sure he's not a Guild enforcer/some other NPC you really don't want to attack) and "kill man", only to have that interpreted as meaning the man that is (fully described as) a "fat priest" of Sandelfon, or whatever, when you happen to be allergic to being teleported into Endless Halls, or otherwise wouldn't want to fight them.

But then that's a human interface things, and a good argument for not abbreviating what you can type in.  Unless you set up aliases to "k tm" => kill thin man" or something, in which case that's your responsibility.  Not sure how much looser you would want a parser.  It's bad enough when you drop and bury the wrong backpack because you didn't set "keep" on it. :)

[1] i.e. other than this you can "l thing" instead of "look at thing", and "ex thing" instead of "examine thing".  And when referencing the skills tree "crafts.smithing.black" can be described as "cr.sm.bl" (though with "cr.poi" and "cr.pot" would be needed for points and pottery suboptions of that tree, to make sure you're not learning/teaching the other one, whichever is the default interpretation of "cr.po", I forget).
I was having isues with drawing a freaking sword, I'd type wield sword or get sword from bucket and it wouldn't work so I'd have to type get short sword.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 10:48:29 am »

I was having isues with drawing a freaking sword, I'd type wield sword or get sword from bucket and it wouldn't work so I'd have to type get short sword.
I'm not playing at the moment, for various reasons (can waste my time browsing the web, but not MUDding ast the moment, much to my regret), but I can't think why this would be happening.  Unless you had another sword-but-not-named-sword, e.g. a scimitar, that was lying on the ground, somehow intercepting your parser's "sword" request but not actually available to "wield"...  Something like that.  (Sounds wrong, but best guess.)

As for "get sword from bucket"... nope, can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work (if the sword, any sword, was inside the bucket...  or did you have two buckets?  "get sword from bucket 2" might have worked in that case, or a variant thereof...).

But then for a long time I've had appropriate scabbards/belt loops/dagger scabbards or the like from which I can "draw sword", "draw mace", "draw dagger into left hand; draw stilletto into right hand" or whatever combination of available weapons, scabbards and skills I was working with at the time (I think at times I've strained my carrying ability and STR attribute by having dagger-scabbard boots on, a pair of regular dagger scabbards, a dagger-belt, a couple of full scabbards suited for long/curved weapons and a belt loop for a mace, though never tried a stave-holding think at the same time...  even if possible, that would have been impractical :)).  Actually, that was mostly aliased, but (drilling down) that's the basics behind it.

Maybe you could have checked on the talker channels.  Or, if still not too old, the 'official' helpers via the inbuilt newbiehelper system.  They're very good, and while they won't hand-hold they will often do what they can to help you overcome difficulties and reach Enlightenment.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 11:02:28 am »

I've started playing Discworld, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I'm a hunter named Izak and I'm currently at the Hunter's outpost.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 05:34:25 am »

I once had to figure out how to do hold a staff in my right, left and middle hand. (It defaulted to two hands for some reason)
Not sure what was the eventual syntax, but I held my staff with all three hands. :D
Got rid of the extra arm though, it was growing out of my chest so I couldn't wear my robe.

If anyone wants hints, tips, portals to places, some money, go and kill bigger stuff, whatever, just drop a line to Rhodan ingame.
I'm a wizard, so I can shield you and fry a whole herd of horses in one go, which means loads of xp for you.  I call dibs on their eyeballs though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 04:50:31 am »

Are there any mushers? There is more to Mu*ing then just muds.

I really like the character growth, and personal stories that abound from simple interpersonal relationships, that stack upon the tiny plots.

I had one character that started out as a fucking asshole, who had a fondness for books, that eventually managed to save the world, and even lead a majority of good guys in a fight in a make shift guild, to when he eventually died. He got a book store, then during an alien invasion, he got a dojo, where he began teaching other PCs. Before he died, he had 4th generation students. Students of his students, of his students of his students. I saw some of my more used attack populate the world, and seeing similar descriptions as well.

He did get stupidly strong, at end of where the Mu* shut down, I was strongest human, and third strongest in the game. It took a fairly long time, lots of dedication, two years in real life.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:38 am »

Yeah I'm still having problems getting into the witches' guild.  What the hell do I have to do to get this badger out of here so I can get the key in the privy and get into Granny Weatherwax's house???  Anyone have any idea?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 11:25:36 am »

Try typing "help here" it might give some ideas of what to do. You can also ask on the newbie channel, or if you have a talker, channels one or two.
I'm gonna try playing a witch later, when I've seen enough of my hunter. Can you be male witch? I don't have a problem with making a female one, but I'd like to know anyway.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:29:19 am by ILikePie »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2009, 02:38:30 am »

Witches is a women-only guild!  They make a big deal about that, too.  It's pretty funny.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2009, 03:13:20 am »

I'll be joining the hunters guild as well... if I can find it.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 03:59:39 am »

The Hunters' Outpost is in the northern part of Lancre, in the center. This site (May contain spoilers!) has large collection of maps, this map is what you're looking for.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 04:21:10 am »

Most are like text-based versions of MMOs, just more boring.

To exagerate for effect, that's perhaps like saying Pong is like Wii Tennis.  It's a different vintage, and of course there are differences in presentation.

As for the "more boring", I wouldn't want to argue.  Otherwise it'd probably turn into a "Youth of today with ADD, etc, without the patience to learn things, blah blah blah..." thing.  Or (certainly very possible, given you're obviously capable of dealing witht he DF interface, so can't be totally slave to 3D rendering) you just wwere unlucky enough to find the less interesting (or currently less player-populated) MUDs, rather than just not understanding the difference emphasis in pace (catching or missing something in a text-only room description is different to catching or missing a 'glowing spark' indicator on an isometric worldview).

I'd say MUDs are more like those bat-and-ball brick breaking games and MMOs are more like some tennis game on the NES. Now I like Armageddon and SoI, but the problem with both is that they take up way too much time. Addictive, fun, but time consuming.

90% of MUDs I run into are little more than picking one class out of dozens, a race out of dozens. Go in an area, type "k monster", then go in another area, type "k monster" until you level up. HellMOO starts off intriguing, but after a certain point, you're just killing random things, because that's the only way you could get XP. And what sucks most of all about most MUDs is high-level players. I could get up to like level 5 after a week, and some level 56 griefer walks into a room, ganks me, and takes my stuff.

So yeah, if I'm going to play a MUD, it'd probably have to be a permadeath one without a lot of grinding. Any of those out there? Not so fond of semi-permadeath ones either, because they still bias towards the uber-characters that have been around for 5 RL years.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5