Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Ur-Quan Masters  (Read 16874 times)

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 06:53:59 pm »

you spelled device wrong....

i never liked trading with the Melnorme.... the Druuge were much more fun.

the melnorme background changes color according to its mood i think....but i never figured out if their mood affected prices....

Go to Delta Crateris V. it will take a bit of fuel if you wish to survive, but its so worth it.

oh and the game ends just after Feb 24 2159 or 2160 if you postpone it for a year.....
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 12:35:03 am »

I highly recommend you read this particular spoiler:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 12:43:49 am »

Spoiler on ship preference below, no plot points.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:09:14 am »

I think I'll avoid this thread for now... too many spoilers, and everyone's view on what is a spoiler is different.

UQM is too good a game, I can't risk spoiling it on my first play through...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 05:09:08 am »

The second time was after this thread... the first battle in the game, precursor ship vs a battered cloaking spider ship. It spawned pretty close, and with us pointing at each other.

Just FYI, that is one of the "special abilities" of the Ilwrath cloaking ship, that it spawns really close... the idea is that you get one try at some really good damage with the pitiful range of its flamethrower.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 09:10:33 am »

Hmm... I'm not supposed to open this thread when I'm still on my first play through... but I want to keep people updated on my progress (that maybe some of you are interested).

Now my ship has 2 storage bays, 2 crew quarters, 3 fuel tanks, max thrusters, max turn thrusters, 2 drop ships, and the default ion gun.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 09:19:28 am »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 10:35:24 am »

How do you manage to not get mobbed in hyperspace when leaving systems with large groups of baddies around? One sucks me in. I explode them or run away. While I'm swirling back into hyperspace, another one hovers under me and grabs me before I have a chance to do anything. Repeat.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 10:49:52 am »

Slaughter them. Your cruiser is relatively worthless in battle, but you will receive information about a better ship from the guy on the station. It is very powerful, and can kill almost anything if skillfully piloted, but is irreplaceable until you do a certain task.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 11:45:58 am »

@ Mephisto: I took down a Probe once with a new ship of mine.

Otherwise I visit only the safe place (i.e. outside enemy faction's sphere of influence), and quickly upgrade my flagship thruster to the max.

After that I align myself properly before entering hyperspace, so I don't waste time turning and can use my superior speed to outrun them. You have to be careful when using auto-pilot to travel long distances - you might get surrounded.

And I just hit the mother lode! :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:48:46 am by kcwong »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:35 am »

My ONLY complaint with this game is the lack of randomization. Yeah, I understand that randomizing race spheres and such could be complicated, but resources could be slightly randomized. The fact that you will always find the same number of resource nodes on pluto is a bit annoying for future playthroughs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 12:00:33 pm »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 01:31:43 pm »

I just remembered my other complaint. No matter how many ships you destroy, there is no effect on the game. Never.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 02:26:08 pm »

I just remembered my other complaint. No matter how many ships you destroy, there is no effect on the game. Never.

That's not entirely true. If you destroy 25 Thraddash ships, you can
But yes, other than that, you're right.

I figure that it's just assumed that the total amount of damage that any one person can do (even if you destroy dozens of ships) to an entire stellar civilization is negligable.... even if this is somewhat twisted by the fact that a single Khor-ah or Ur-Quan ship can apparently take out the entire Zot-Fot-Pik race.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:28:02 pm by AlStar »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 02:39:50 pm »

Other then that, dealing massive damage does nothing cept get you resources. Admittedly, once you can destroy ships, they are great sources of resources, but thats it. Only one way to actually win.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7