Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Damp/Warm Walls add Room Value  (Read 5438 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Damp/Warm Walls add Room Value
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 01:14:08 pm »

A bloody miner, can dig out a wall which leads to direct magma flow - With his copper pick, before outrunning the magma and leaving it blocked up with a chalk floodgate. Meanwhile the smith above it, can tap directly into the magma to heat his smithing materials? Face it - Realism and dwarf fortress don't match - Only dwarf fortress and awesome.
I'm going to have to call this out, mainly because it's on the grounds that dwarf fortress doesn't change (which isn't true).  Even now, if you try digging out a wall with magma behind it, the miner will get set on fire by the magma pouring out; many tell of how they think they must sacrifice a miner to breach the pipe (there are other methods, commonly known, but these people don't bother to look for them and instead just go on sacrificing miners).  Eventually there will be safety and health issues with magma forges.  Within the next few versions, there will be diseases. 

The merit behind a suggestion is not only in how awesome it is.  It would be awesome to have artifacts made on-demand from whatever you want, and to have a 12ft dwarf that breathes fire and shoots webs wear armor artifacts, which happen to be made of adamantine, and have this dwarf do all this while wielding an artifact adamantine sword with all legendary skills that you got on the dwarf just by asking for them, but all that would just be too easy.  Just being generically awesome is not a good enough reason for something to be the way it is.  It is a bonus, nothing more.  It does not on its own justify a suggestion or strike down something meant to nerf a suggestion.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 01:33:37 pm »

A bloody miner, can dig out a wall which leads to direct magma flow - With his copper pick, before outrunning the magma and leaving it blocked up with a chalk floodgate. Meanwhile the smith above it, can tap directly into the magma to heat his smithing materials? Face it - Realism and dwarf fortress don't match - Only dwarf fortress and awesome.
I'm going to have to call this out, mainly because it's on the grounds that dwarf fortress doesn't change (which isn't true).  Even now, if you try digging out a wall with magma behind it, the miner will get set on fire by the magma pouring out; many tell of how they think they must sacrifice a miner to breach the pipe (there are other methods, commonly known, but these people don't bother to look for them and instead just go on sacrificing miners).

I've actually had a dwarf outrun the magma, then for some reason crash and reload to just prior to the breach, and burn his feet, but survive.  Reload and he dies.  Reload and he almost makes it (gets burned feet, slows down, gets engulfed).  Reload and he bolts so fast out of the area that the magma has poured 1 tile.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »

from what i have heard a prefectly agile dwarf can dodge away quick enough to not die every time.

on to the main topic.

you guys seem to not know the meaning of damp and warm.

Warm = feels warm to touch but does not cause any discomfort. so it would probably make the room a nice warm temperature since being underground most forts would be cold. obviously tiles in game are a rather elastic measure of distance. this would provide no danger

Damp = it feels well damp. the is no visable moisture and a firm squeese of a damp sponge or cloth will not cause the liquid to run out. this would cause fungus etc to grow on the damp surface itself and after a long while if the air was not replaced the air would become humid allowing fungus to grow in the room. it is possible that the fungi that grow could be poisonous, all depends on your luck.

now if it is both damp and warm well it essentially combines the 2 effects. it isn't warm enough to evaporate the dampness quicker than new damp comes in. also it can't cool enough to become normal temp. perhaps coller than a normal warm wall but still warm.

so overall damp= slightly worse room
warm = nicer room
damp+warm= well nast fungi can still grow and its warmer... balances out i suppose.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 04:16:20 pm »

in very hot climates dampness would be much more desired than warmth
The great game of Warlocks!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 04:28:15 pm »

... so... basically blackbody radiation is when something black is hot enough to take on a different color. Such as... say... obsidian walls?

Also, I now completely understand that if the walls were glowing - people would be dying. However, my dwarves all outrun magma - every time. I just dig three squares to either side before channelling into the magma, which slows it. I'm so smrt.

But anyway. I don't care about that anymore - cos I'm hooked on the idea of biolumenescent fungi growing in the grooves of an engraving.Admit it, that is awesome. Especially when lighting comes in.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 06:13:09 pm »

in very hot climates dampness would be much more desired than warmth

when you are underground outside temp doesn't matter much it would still be rather cool or cold

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 06:41:12 pm »

glowing walls isnt a bad thing. like i said before, its just fungi or bugs glowing for damp walls, and i figure that even though the walls are with magma on oneside, how thin do the walls have to be before they glow? after all, i dont think there has ever been a statement as to how thick the walls are, just that they are one unit onscreen.... they could be a foot thick or a dozen feet thick, so does not the density and amount of matter have any bearing upon that?

and besides, you guys seem to be worse than the nazis by shooting this down so easily.... it is a game after all, and while it may be partially relistic in many aspects, who cares about the damn radiation when you got cave spiders eating your horses and Megabeasts destroying your constructs?

so in my opinion, screw the radiation idea and the glow of magma walls, as all these walls are are temperature influenced. not leaking magma or water. A damp wall doesnt need to be seeping water in any way. there is this thing that people notice all the time called condensation. the walls would attract the moisture and then become damp due to the collection of this moistness from the atmosphere.

if you have damp walls in a desert, would the water not be warm anyway? after all the heat would eventually transfer to the water thus making it warm or hot if it didnt evaporate, so would that not make the rooms warmer too?
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 06:46:18 pm »

I agree that a blue glowy room would be awesomely deadly. Unless there's a lot of lead shielding. Which would stop the blue glow. Damn.

Full suit of lead armor worn 24/7, obviously. :P

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:15 pm »

glowing walls isnt a bad thing. like i said before, its just fungi or bugs glowing for damp walls, and i figure that even though the walls are with magma on oneside, how thin do the walls have to be before they glow?
So hot as to be hotter than an oven at its highest temperature, as was previously pointed out, or so thin as to be unstable.  And frankly there are a number of more interesting suggestions out there for providing lighting than exagerrating the heat of a wall.  Glowing fungus is indeed among them, and no one said anything against that.

Also, Nazis went genocidal.  Never, ever, compare anything less than that to Nazis.  It is simply not justified and makes your statement appear weak for having resorted to that tactic.  Now drop it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:55 pm »

well... regardless, it changing the value makes sense

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 07:00:26 pm »

well... regardless, it changing the value makes sense
I don't recall anyone saying otherwise.
Just so I remember

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 11:15:09 pm »

However - obsidian is glass, technically. So it could actually glow without too much heat escaping. But whatever. Let's not get chemical again.

And also - legolord. The punishment for the nazi's are that they are now well known as a derogatory comment for anything bad, evil, or strict.

Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 11:20:19 pm »

It's possible for a wall to be both, yes? What happens then? :P

I suppose if a room had warm and damp walls simultaneously, your dwarfs would have a sauna. I'm not sure how you'd make the walls be both at the same time, though...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 11:25:20 pm »

it'd be the corner between water and magma. Also, magma makes a few walls on either side hot.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 12:02:33 am »

I've had warm damp rough water walls before. *shrug* It's not particularly difficult if you have water and magma in the same general area.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5