Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mechanical voiceboxes / klaxons  (Read 1345 times)

Tostitos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mechanical voiceboxes / klaxons
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Created through the manufacturing trees of craftsdwarves, metalsmiths, and mechanics.

The craftdwarves construct components from the smithed metal parts that are ready to be used for such detailed and complex parts. The mechanic assembles the components and installs the Klaxon.

Klaxons/voiceboxes would be triggered to pressure plates, also certain nobles would demand them for broadcasting orders and announcements. Klaxons can wake dwarves from sleep and help assemble a militia or army quicker, but they will obviously have negative effects if they wake other dwarves.

Voiceboxes could be set to say a phrase you can pre-set. This might not be useful for dwarves (although maybe you could drive nobles insane with hidden voiceboxes that constantly whisper words of demons, madness, and blood) but you could construct an elaborate notification network of voiceboxes and plates, setting each voicebox-plate pair to say something appropriate to the area as a normal game announcement:

Ex: Something is coming through the northmost chasm gate!

Something is between the northmost chasm gate and the barracks!

It could also say something completely random, or "Tostitos is AWESOME." If you've ever messed around with the quake games and level editing, you know the concept of triggers. These voiceboxes could give hints to adventurers travelling through your fortress in much the same way.

Klaxons can be triggered to 'warn' dwarves of various things- warn dwarves to exit a designated area, warn dwarves to stay off of a certain bridge (multiple can be linked), etc.

Enough klaxons per dwarf would enable the setting of one task as a priority task for everyone with it enabled- "HAUL FOOD BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE" / "HAUL STONE" etc, without micromanaging their labor list.

[ June 10, 2007: Message edited by: Tostitos ]

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical voiceboxes / klaxons
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:49:00 pm »

It does sound like a good idea on paper but in practice it would horribly overcomplicate the system if it was to be used to handle orders.

For warnings however it would work great. You could sound the alarm and have dwarves evacuate to a pre-determined safe spot en mass instead of relying on word of mouth communication of threats.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Tostitos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

It would probably be better to give that option through the manager, too. Maybe just require a certain number of loud-voiceboxes to be built in the fortress before the option is available, and then ignore placement and the system of giving specific orders via specific loudspeakers (too micro for even me).

[ June 10, 2007: Message edited by: Tostitos ]

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

Some kind of alarm or warning system would be great. Maybe even a new trap-type that when triggered would make noise, and those dwarves within a certain radius would be alerted to the intruders presence.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

I'd like to see Alarms that can be put into barracks or wherever, with corresponding pressure plates or something of the sort. When the plate is triggered, all dwarves in the barracks would know to WAKE UP! and go to investigate\stay away (squad or civ).

That wouldn't be so ultra-micro I think.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:49:00 pm »

I would like to have the game send me an announcment when a pressure plate is steped on. That is a good idea.

Tostitos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

And the idea is that you can choose exactly what the announcement says for that pressure point, or select from a limited list based on a context of where the plate is.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 04:07:00 am »

I was thinking just more for "ALARM!", and that's it. But if you wan't personalized messages and it's possible, I'm all for it. It might add to the Orwell Dwarf 2-min hate that sprang up in the dwarven cinema thread    :D