Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternative font for screens that never go beyond 80x25  (Read 543 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternative font for screens that never go beyond 80x25
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:46:59 pm »

In DF, it's generally best to select a font with the smallest pixel size you can read comfortably -- since this leads to the largest gridsize and lets you see more of your site at once.  Of course, different people have different ideas of comfortable, with a few people chafing against the 80x25 minimum gridsize.

For those of us who can comfortably read at high gridsize, a different problem emerges.  Much of the screens at the start of the game, before you strike the earth, are rigidly 80x25, so with a small font they get scrunched into the top left corner.  They would look much more pleasing with an enormous font that uses the full screen at 80x25.

So, I'd like to request the ability to set two fonts in init.txt.  One font specially for these 80x25 screens (main menu, site selection and world generation), and another for everything else.

The trading screen is also locked to 80x25, but that should instead be fixed to use the whole grid.  It's very annoying that I can't tell at a glance what a giant cave spider silk product specifically is.

(This could be considered a limited rehash of my earlier multiple font proposal.  But note that since none of these 80x25 screens have creatures displayed, there is no need to worry about how the size change interacts with supplemental graphics tilesets.)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative font for screens that never go beyond 80x25
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:11:35 pm »

I'd rather see the menus scale according to tile size, instead of the tiles themselves, which I imagine is intended but unimplemented.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:55:59 am »

I'd rather see the menus scale according to tile size, instead of the tiles themselves, which I imagine is intended but unimplemented.
They should -- and I explicitly cited the trade menu as one that is presently 80x25 but should be recoded to use the full gridsize.

But I don't see any use for the extra grids on the world-gen and embark site selection displays.  These seem perfectly fit into 80x25.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:03:09 am »

Makes sense... not sure it's the best way to deal with the problem, but it's definitely a problem that should be dealt with