Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change the way material type is factored into weapon/arm  (Read 777 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Change the way material type is factored into weapon/arm
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »

This isn't really all that important, but it would be nice.

The current system is fairly counterintuitive with regards to certain items. For example, leather armor is listed as [MAINBLOCK:20], but as far as I know it actually provides 10 protection, because by default nonmetals have 50% damage/block factor. Additionally, the percentages system requires lots of fiddling with the block values when working with different materials, or worse, creating multiple items that are essentially identical except for block value and material type.

I propose that the [MAINBLOCK:x] tag should be changed to additionally accept [MAINBLOCK:material type:x].  This would allow modders complete control over how effective a piece of armor is when made out of any material. I also propose that the [DAMAGE_PERC:x] and [BLOCK_PERC:x] tags be added to all material types, but default to 100. By default the game would use the [MAINBLOCK:x] value unless it found a tag specifying the value for a given material type.

While I wrote the above using [MAINBLOCK] as an example, you could do the same thing with several other tags. [CRITBOOST:WOOD:0], for example, could be tacked on to existing weapons to use wooden versions as practice weapons.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Change the way material type is factored into weapon/arm
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:22:52 pm by penguinofhonor »