Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somkosoth, aka Oraclepalace  (Read 581 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Somkosoth, aka Oraclepalace
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:46:20 pm »

Today I started a new fort. I decided beforehand I wanted to do a build similar to Giza, Egypt.
The Map:
The map is completely flat, with a river running through one side of it. There is a magma pipe underground in the southern section of the map. As far as weather, it straddles two zones, so it is not always uniform, however, in the winter it freezes while in the summer it gets warm enough to evaporate the pools of 7/7 water around the map. In addition to natural weather, I turned orcs into seasonal burnings; their homeotherm was turned up to 20k, leading to the once or twice yearly "purging" of vegetation, usually engulfing most or all of the map. I keep my population low by most standards; I turned the max. population cap down to 40. This results in a constant 100 fps, alowing megaprojects to be constructed much more rapidly than 100 would at 20 to 30 fps. Soil layers vary based on which part of the map you are one (since it straddles 2 areas), but at this point the areas I'm working in are: sandy loam(-1), yellow sand (-2), chalk (-3 and -4); I have not gone much deeper than -4 at this point.

Thus far:
I started by building the southern of the two pyramids in the picture below, with the livings quarters being underground. From the standard ground level, I dug down 1 level before starting to build the pyramids, putting the working areas (workshops and such) at -2, the barracks and dining room at -3 (I have them all sleep in a single barracks, since I am lazy when it comes to making rooms), and the mining operations at -4. I have walled off safe areas around the pyramids for my dwarves with wooden walls, although for the most part the map is relatively peaceful when there isn't a burn going on (although that will likely change soon, since there was a decent goblin attack recently). The pyramids themselves consist totally of chalk on the lower parts(IRL they used limestone, but chalk was as close as I could find quickly in worldgen), with the caps being made from Kaolinite (I found a pair of large deposits directly underneath the sites when mining). On the very top of the first is a 2x2 square of wall made from gold, something which will be added to the second when gold becomes available again.

Next:
I have currently started working on a tower/obelisk. This will be down in the southern part of the map, near the magma pipe. Its purpose will be to pump magma up to maximum level, then pump-pressurize it, allowing for much more rapid construction of obsidian based projects. In addition, I will be working on another on the northern side of the map which will do the same for water.

Screens (from visual fortress 3d):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More updates in the future; possibly tonight, maybe tommorow.