Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshop Placement and Rotating  (Read 10483 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshop Placement and Rotating
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:12:44 pm »

I had a quick search, nothing came up.

At the moment its rather easy to lock dwarves in workshop rooms if your building a workshop with three unpassable tiles all on one wall. I suggest either being able to change the layout or rotate the workshop template. Jewelers and Bowyers around the world would rejoice at not starving to death.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Placement and Rotating
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:49:49 pm »

I see a problem with this being that you would no longer recognize the workshop when it is rotated.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:51:55 pm »

I see a problem with this being that you would no longer recognize the workshop when it is rotated.

Nothing a little relearning can't fix, but I can see where you're coming from.

Flipping them on a horizontal axis would probably work for asymmetric workshops,  but some (blacksmith forge comes to mind) are fine as-is.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:51:49 pm »

Unless you're using a corner door, the only problems arise when you have more than one adjacent tile impassable. Any door that isn't diagonal to the workshop has at least two possible routes in.

As such, a single flipped configuration would probably cut it. It'd even help the diagonal ones - though the dyer's shop would need to be flipped vertically, not horizontally, for instance.

Some of the shops are distinctive for their features as much as their orientation. This is a good thing, and should be encouraged. (The WORST offenders are furnaces, which all look alike as far as I can tell.)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:25:50 am »

I think the preferable way to address that is to make workshops more like rooms, as in this thread.

Rotating the existing ones could be quick workaround, but I don't think they're here to stay.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »

I think the preferable way to address that is to make workshops more like rooms, as in this thread.

Rotating the existing ones could be quick workaround, but I don't think they're here to stay.

Agreed.  Workshops need better abstraction.  Instead of rotation, we should be able to actually build a kitchen or whatever.  This would be especially nice for expanding workshops, as it would be a matter of adding on to an existing workshop that serves the same purpose, instead of building a new one and micromanaging the orders between the two.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:55:20 pm »

Agreed.  Workshops need better abstraction.  Instead of rotation, we should be able to actually build a kitchen or whatever.  This would be especially nice for expanding workshops, as it would be a matter of adding on to an existing workshop that serves the same purpose, instead of building a new one and micromanaging the orders between the two.

The Sims has a pretty good system where you don't have a 'kitchen', you've got 'kitchen work spaces', with the counters and microwaves and ovens and stoves.

Something similar could work, with jobs taking multiple slots in a defined room.  Forges, for example, would need quenching buckets and anvils and tool storage and fires and maybe bellows, etc.  Possibly allow the user to set the maximum number of jobs that would work concurrently in a given space?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 03:18:56 pm »

It has to be flexible.. let's say that in the raws, there's a list of jobs, and which workshop furniture, objects, space, etc are needed to perform them.

A room would have a few menus: furniture and objects associated and present, jobs allowed in it, and dwarves allowed to make use of it.

When presented with a room, the game can tell you what jobs are possible in that room (show them in bright text and not gray, for example). If you allow jobs in that room that lack the required material, the game can tell you what you need to add to the room (list items in red) to make it function like you desire.

Permission to use the workshop could be granted as now, with dwarves acting like it is occupied when there is not enough furniture etc. left to perform their job.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:22:28 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 04:32:10 pm »

pah i can marely recognise the damn things as it is, i don't think it would make much difference. especially since afaik most players use the manager to make basically everything.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:09:20 am »

I think abstraction is the way to go in the long run, and fiddling with the existing workshops before that point (if it's going to get done) is therefore not necessary.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 06:16:12 pm »

I've seen that argument before, and it doesn't hold water.

Okay, the long-run plan is to make it not an issue. How far in the future is it going to be, though? If it'd be a relatively quick fix to put in one of these other changes as an interim suggestion, it may be worth doing, just to make things easier until it DOES get put into its "final" form.

Nothing says a feature needs to be changed directly into its ideal state, anymore than it was MADE in that state. Sometimes this is because testing reveals a likely change; sometimes it's as a stopgap. And sometimes testing can reveal a likely stopgap.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 06:48:06 pm »

And yet, testing/stopgaps are totally up to Toady, which is why a limited form of infections is going in this version, along with new workshop definitions in the raws.  Though not progressive in themselves, they help test and implement other functionality until they can be addressed in full.

So, yeah, workshop placement/rotating would be nice, if it can be done in a few hours, but its not really what I want to be a focus.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.