Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwing kobolds, dragging frogmen  (Read 1430 times)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Throwing kobolds, dragging frogmen
« on: June 09, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

Dragging frogmen. When a wrestler has a hold on a monster and then steps away, all holds are released and any held stuck-ins are resolved.  A new option in the [c]ombat preferences menu,

Current preference for holds: Maintain holds / Release holds.

If I held a frogman by my embedded bronze spear and took a step, if I had set to maintain holds I would have to pass a check in order to drag him along with me.

The frogman struggles in vain .. The frogman is towed by the embedded bronze spear!

This would work for monsters too, even though they don't do much manuevering.  If I held a dragon by an embedded weapon and he took a step, we'd check each other's strength (dragon wins) and if I passed a wrestling check

You maintain your grip on the embedded bronze spear!  You are towed by your grip on the embedded bronze spear!

This could include the dragon flying upwards in the Z-axis. **

Throwing Kobolds.  When I have a kobold held and attempt a throw

Throwing kobold by head with left upper arm!

I am presented with the throw interface, choose a target, and attempt to successfully throw the kobold.  If I succeed (which would include breaking any grips the kobold had on me, passing a wrestling move check and performing a strength vs size check) all grips I had on the kobold are released and the kobold is thrown like any other projectile.

The spinning kobold hits the kobold bowman in the head!  It is mangled!

In addition to dealing damage to the thrown kobold, a la slamming into an obstacle.

The kobold slams into an obstacle!

When wrestling is due for some new moves, both of these manuevers would be alot of fun.  Would allow for neat new strategies while eliminating the redundancy between the Throw and Take-down manuevers.

**inspired by crayon art reward

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing kobolds, dragging frogmen
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

Just a couple of small additions.

Shouldn't dragging have a chance of ripping out any embedded weapon, also?

And for throwing: If all holds aren't broken, couldn't you be pulled a space or two along with your projectile? I get the image of a guy with his fingers stuck in a bowling ball, if that helps any.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

This is a cool idea.  I can just see the Dorfs gathered around the cave river, frogman gigs (= tridents) in hand, waiting for one to stick its  head out.  Then FWOMP, they stick one and toss it out of the water onto dry land, where it is mauled by dogs.

Dwarven Family Fun for All!

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

While we're upgrading the wrestling code, we should also have options to (if we're good/strong enough) rip off limbs entirely. This should probably require a good grip on what we want to rip and another grip somewhere on the other side of what we want to rip off, though, otherwise we're just pulling on their arm.

Or, if we're strong enough, we could just grab a torso with both gripping appendages and rip the creature in half. Or rip off a head.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

I'm glad you received your art, slM.

I think most of this is in the notes, so it'll go in during the combat arc, although I might not have put dragging people around on-line (I remember Zonk suggested this many months back, and I wrote it in the planning file).  If you search for "wrestle" on dev_single you can find what I've got there...  seems to be a bit of emphasis on using exposed guts.  Also, Zereth's is Bloat254.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

As awesome as this would be for the player, imagine it used against you... horrifying.

For starters, your legion of dwarves attack a dragon, that proceeds to grab one of your warriors and throw him into another, like a bowling ball to pins.

Or even scarier; adventure mode. A gigantic humanoid demon approaches. You lunge ahead and pierce it with your spear, but in vain as it lives on. It rips the spear out of its chest, picks you up and throws you into a stone wall. As you slowly rise to your feet, the world around you a constant blur, the demon strides towards you and casually rips off your left arm, breaking your right arm while using it as a club.

*Shiver.*

Edit: Oh, wow. It's in the bloats already. Excellent job with that system of tracking features to come and such, Toady! It's quite handy and fun to read through.

The idea of being able to get a weapon stuck in a dragon, then have the dragon ascend into the sky with you holding on is absolutely epic. Stab a spear into it, climb aboard and whip out your sword to begin a sort of mutally dangerous aerial combat. Then the dragon breaks the spear and you plummet to the ground. Ouch! In that case, I think some sort of fancy weapon designed to stick into an opponent would be required. A military sized hook perhaps?

[ June 10, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »

I guess the demon would then need to drag you off by your broken arm and eat you alive before you go unconscious.  And it could poke you with a claw to keep you awake if you go out.  Maybe poking wouldn't work.  Unless it has a magical claw or something.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 01:23:00 am »

Ughh scary, demons with magical pokeing claws. Thats stuff that nightmares are made off.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

That is the stuff nightmares are made of... getting poked by a magical daemon.

Anyway, I really like the idea of being able to rip off limbs. Then it really will be possible to go up to a Hammerlord, rip off his arm and beat him to death with the soggy end    :p

EDIT: And as for it being used against you... no doubt the game will take this perfect opportunity to bring your ultimate hero to an embarrasing end...

The Goblin child rips off your right upper arm!
The Goblin Child hacks you in the head with the Right Upper Arm!
It is Mangled!
Your Brain is Mangled!
Your Throat as been slashed out!
Your left eye is slashed out!
Your right eye is slashed out!
You give in to pain!

[ June 16, 2007: Message edited by: Bricktop ]

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

The Ratman rips off your Fifth Toe, Right Foot!

The ratman hits you in the upper body with a Fifth Toe, Right foot!

The force of the hit makes you fly back! You hit a wall and explode in gore!

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

ROFL!!!!!
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 01:22:00 am »

Head crushing! Inspired by The Prince in 6 Days A Sarifice.